Photo

Victoria's housing market, home prices and values

• Please log in to reply
5833 replies to this topic

#2801 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

Big difference in economies in 20 years. The biggest impact will come from the fact that the workforce and business is far more global now. 20 years ago there wasn't even the thought of someone telecommuting to a job 2,000 km away.

There are winners and losers. The winners are workers who have the skills that allow them to live in Victoria but work for global firms. Those workers get paid in USD. The losers are local businesses who cannot compete with those wages. Already we are seeing that in tech, finance, and professional services. Most local companies cannot recruit the staff they need to grow their businesses as they cannot compete on wages.

I wonder how many in Victoria have this situation (working remotely for US company). I suspect it’s a pretty small number overall. Big US companies still want employees collocated.
And if they want a Canadian presence they build one. Amazon is not expanding to 5000ppl in Vancouver for no reason.

#2802 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:54 PM

The reason is the CAD is weakening, so they’ll save millions in wages and medical insurance/benefits.

They’d have opened HQ2 in Canada if the global talent they seek wanted to live here, but they don’t, so they didn’t.
  • VIResident likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2803 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:38 PM

I wonder how many in Victoria have this situation (working remotely for US company). I suspect it’s a pretty small number overall. Big US companies still want employees collocated.
And if they want a Canadian presence they build one. Amazon is not expanding to 5000ppl in Vancouver for no reason.

You would be surprised. I have heard numbers as high as 1/3rd when you consider fully remote employees as well as those working in remote offices.

#2804 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

You would be surprised. I have heard numbers as high as 1/3rd when you consider fully remote employees as well as those working in remote offices.

1/3 of what?
  • Nparker likes this

#2805 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:49 PM

1/3 of what?

1/3 of workers in those sectors.

#2806 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:25 PM

I have a few friends who work remotely or are self employed and paid largely in USD or GBP. They're licking their chops at the thought of the dollar falling another 10 cents or more.

Edited by Mattjvd, 20 March 2019 - 04:35 PM.

#2807 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:46 PM

I think the number is extremely small, <500?.  I know several people who commute on Monday morning to Seattle to their job at Microsoft before they return to Victoria Friday afternoon.  

Speaking from my experience I have had head hunters call me and I lay down the conditions:  Option A:  I work from home in my fully equipped home office or Option B:  the company pays for return airline tickets, rents me a suitable executive condo or house and pays LOA.  Most companies want Option B, but don't want to pay for it because they add up the cost, even thou I could easily telecommute

Edited by tjv, 20 March 2019 - 04:46 PM.

#2808 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,078 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

Less than 500 people working remotely at home in Victoria? It’s more likely around 15,000.

#2809 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:29 PM

^You become more and more of a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2810 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

I know of maybe a dozen people doing project management, statistical analysis, or programming activities in Victoria for US-based Contract Research Organization (CRO) companies involved in clinical trials. That's just one small sector. I think many people badly underestimate how many remote, home-based, employees there are in many fields these days.

#2811 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:49 PM

I used to earn USD.

It’s a lot more common than most people think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2812 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,078 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:57 PM

A study released Tuesday by Zug, Switzerland-based serviced office provider IWG found that 70 percent of professionals work remotely — a phenomenon known as telecommuting — at least one day a week, while 53 percent work remotely for at least half of the week.

https://www.cnbc.com...-iwg-study.html

#2813 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:03 PM

Less than 500 people working remotely at home in Victoria...

Fewer than...

#2814 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,078 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

hmmmmmmmm

#2815 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,078 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

Less is also used with numbers when they are on their own and with expressions of measurement or time, e.g.:

His weight fell from 18 stone to less than 12.

Their marriage lasted less than two years.

Heath Square is less than four miles away from Dublin city centre.

You can read more about using less and fewer on the Oxford Dictionaries blog. Here you will find tips on how to use less and fewer correctly as well as exceptions to the general rules about their usage.

https://en.oxforddic...e/less-or-fewer

#2816 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

The question is not how many people work remotely, the question is how many people work remotely for US companies and thus get paid in USD. I think tjv’s guess is closest. Not a lot. I really doubt 1/3 of the tech sector which VIATEC estimates at about 17,000

Edited by LeoVictoria, 20 March 2019 - 06:51 PM.

• tjv likes this

#2817 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

Less is also used with numbers when they are on their own and with expressions of measurement or time...

I stand by my answer, but I am pleased to see you took some time to do some grammatical research.

#2818 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:10 PM

My business has US clients who pay in USD. When I am contracted internationally for my other talents I am also paid in USD. Its equipment and software that are my main costs that go up but rent and insurance and labour doesn’t so it’s a net benefit to me personally if the dollar is low.

#2819 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:25 AM

The question is not how many people work remotely, the question is how many people work remotely for US companies and thus get paid in USD. I think tjv’s guess is closest. Not a lot. I really doubt 1/3 of the tech sector which VIATEC estimates at about 17,000

As far as I know Viatec doesn't publish a breakout. All you need to do is look at the tech jobs boards and you will see at least half of the jobs being advertised are from out of town firms. 

It is good money while you can get it. Risk is that the dollar increases or that we have an economic slowdown as remote workers usually get hit first. It also adds nothing to the local economy other than wages since no product or service is actually created here.

A foreign company can hire someone here for about 25%-50% less than it would cost them for a local resource plus they benefit from much lower health care (US) and social services (EU) costs.

Edited by spanky123, 21 March 2019 - 08:27 AM.

#2820 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:50 AM

Local income earned from foreign companies creates wealth in Canada.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users