Victoria's housing market, home prices and values

• Please log in to reply
5833 replies to this topic

#3441 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,034 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:34 AM

The commission is also worked into the sale price, so for the seller it’s a bit of a wash.

not so sure about that math.

#3442 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:38 AM

For $10k you can corner the market yourself with advertisements, and blanket the town for $20k.

But 99% of home sellers prefer to raise their sale price to pay for the agent, the buyer’s agent, handling communications and the whole process, and just sit back.

Of course. To me it's just indicative of how messed up housing is. People only behave like this when there is lots to go around.

#3443 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:55 AM

You bring up an interesting point. Are agents more active in good times, or bad times, and are commissions higher, or lower if times are hot?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3444 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:56 AM

not so sure about that math.

Family friends are selling a home right now. They listed for $80k higher than they’d like to net, to cover the commissions, closing costs, and have some room to move down if the listing requires it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3445 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:25 AM

Family friends are selling a home right now. They listed for $80k higher than they’d like to net, to cover the commissions, closing costs, and have some room to move down if the listing requires it.

The market is the market. 

Those who try a FSBO find that every whack job comes out of the woodwork thinking they can score a deal from an uneducated seller. Massive time sink and of course the risk of getting done over.

A decent realtor will screen buyers, has access to a much broader market then you or I do and also knows buyer intentions and budgets.

#3446 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:29 AM

I'm on the fence about listing again.  (Marko cringes) But a mostly lateral move into a suitable place would be about 30k over budget.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3447 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:47 AM

Wouldn't an additional $130 a month mortgage payment be worth the peace of mind?

• sebberry likes this

#3448 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:03 AM

Wouldn't an additional $130 a month mortgage payment be worth the peace of mind?

I can afford about 50k more than I sell for depending on the strata fee of the destination.  For the most part, that's a reduction in quality of location and size.  I see a new one that just popped on the market that would be good, 70k more than I anticipate being able to sell for but super low strata fees (for now) which would make it work.  Looking at what's happening now in the market, I expect it to sell 30k over list, or 100k over my selling price.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:50 AM

The market is the market.

Those who try a FSBO find that every whack job comes out of the woodwork thinking they can score a deal from an uneducated seller. Massive time sink and of course the risk of getting done over.

A decent realtor will screen buyers, has access to a much broader market then you or I do and also knows buyer intentions and budgets.

Oh yeah, totally. FSBO is also off-putting to many buyers who don’t want to deal with an owner or owners who may be very emotionally attached to a property or have expectations that just aren’t reasonable.

Know it all.

#3450 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:32 PM

One agent told me that they are starting to see the market flatten and slow. The frency in the 2 million and up does indeed seemed to have slowed a bit. Is it meaningful, not sure.

#3451 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:45 PM

I believe it. There’s so little inventory right now, that if you can afford a home valued at $1.1-$1.3M you can afford to wait a while for the perfect offering.

Know it all.

#3452 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:51 PM

I am not sure that 1.1 buys you anything close to perfect.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3453 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:51 PM

FSBO is a total joke, I agree.

The thing that works so well for Realtor's to me is the fees come off right when people are at their least aware. Writing a cheque for $35,000 versus seeing some line about something on a lawyer form where the bottom part says you are getting $938,000.00 is a lot different psychologically.

Realtor costs are not variable with the price of housing. With one swipe of the pen the government could put caps on fees, but there is just no appetite because like I say no one cares about some line on a piece of paper from a lawyer when the bottom says a number you could never have even dreamed of.

#3454 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:54 PM

^^Ok, Thurston MacKenzie-McMahon III.

Know it all.

#3455 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

^ ^ realtor fees are not fixed though.

you can find cheaper realtors than the most popular rate.

#3456 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:46 PM

I maintain that people don’t mind paying realtor fees because housing profits feel like funny money, so shaving a little off the top hardly feels like a cash grab. Every house I’ve owned and sold made me a lot of money- none of it I felt I’d earned. It’s not hard to give some of that to the person who put that money in your pocket for you.
  • Szeven and Brayvehart like this

#3457 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:44 PM

Speaking of Royal Bay 

I was out there a few weeks back, my goodness it was chilly! A fierce wind was coming straight of the glacier.

900k for a cookie cutter in the old gravel pit. Almost a million bucks, laughing. Won't be long till the cracks start to show.

fools and their money eh

TFord

#3458 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:44 AM

It won’t be long until all the glaciers melt, though.

Know it all.

#3459 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:08 AM

I am not nearly as negative about Royal Bay especially for anyone with a family. 

For what it is worth it was bloody cold up in Rockland with a wind howling as well. 

Once the shopping mall is build it should be a lot more appealing. Yes it is a reclaimed gravel pit and a lot of Fairfield is reclaimed swamp.

The price is high but so are construction costs both for material and labour. .Is it the best value for a young family, I am not so sure. Certainly the inner core is starting to look like crap in terms of raising a family with prices that border the insane. 

• lanforod likes this

#3460 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 05:51 AM

New figures show Canadian housing prices outpacing those in other developed countries.

According to figures appearing in The Economist, Canada led a group of seven developed countries as measured by real housing prices. Starting from a base of 100 in the first quarter of 2000, Canadian housing prices have risen by a factor in excess of 2.5.

https://www.vicnews....g-in-the-world/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 April 2021 - 05:51 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users