- - - - -

Victoria Public Market at The Hudson

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#321 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

...Why did it take so long for the food to be prepared?

I could never quite figure that out myself. It's a shame since their food was good and fresh, but terribly, terribly slow.

#322 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

Jeepers, that's not good.

Why did it take so long for the food to be prepared?

Market food needs to be quick. Folks that want to linger longer are not going to do there dining there.

#323 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:57 AM

Market food needs to be quick...

Especially when much of their customer base are folks on their lunch breaks from work.

#324 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

That goes without saying

#325 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

The good news for Townline is that there is a never ending stream of people who want to start food services businesses to keep filling the empty stalls.

This is true. People retire, borrow against their homes etc.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#326 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

I'm not sure I'd call the Mexican place a "restaurant" as such.

It was more of a food stall, or a booth.

It was basically a tiny kitchen, run by a couple of people, and using domestic food preparation equipment.

The above, combined with the fact that they had nothing "pre-made" to serve, meant everything a patron ordered was made from scratch, and basically made in a facility resembling a small home kitchen.

It was very good food though, quite tasty ... but I could never get over the wait times for food delivery.

• Nparker likes this

#327 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

Yeah. My expectation at a small take out place like that is to wait 10-15 minutes tops for my food to be served.

Sounds like a place that meant well, but didn't really know what they were doing on the food service side of things.

Edited by jonny, 09 August 2017 - 10:06 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#328 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

Why did it take so long for the food to be prepared?

One word - siesta.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#329 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

Roast has also opened a second location in San Diego.

Victoria Public Market's Roast eatery expands with "Taco Stand"

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#330 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,032 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Maryanne Carmack is a co owner of roast and used to be the manager of the public market. Roast is on a fairly good sized expansion plan I think. She's in town right now helping run the Stein and Dine at the Market. A real dynamo!!

Matt.

#331 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:14 PM

The only reason I ever go to the Market is Roast...pork cracklings....yum...the pork roast is pretty good too! 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#332 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

Ravenstone Farm butcher, situated in the market from day one next to Roast, has closed.

That's too bad, I used to pick up items from there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#333 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

First the Fish'n'Chips place (they were one of the top two in town), and now Ravenstone (whose lunch sandwiches were always (IMO) better than the identical offerings from Roast).

I'd probably not be betting on the future of the Market as the location of a successful eatery.

When consistently excellent food isn't enough to sustain your business in a large gathering space like the Market, the general outlook isn't very good at all. 

I'd put it down to that large, cold, empty vibe mixed in with the numerous tables of "junk" vendors that seem to now be a daily feature of the main aisle.

• Nparker and weirdie like this

#334 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

I'm not sure junk vendors scare away food service patrons.

But the place has always been a bit of a mixed bag.  

Roast seems to be doing great.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 December 2017 - 08:27 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#335 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:38 AM

I'm not sure junk vendors scare away food service patrons.

But the place has always been a bit of a mixed bag.  

Roast seems to be doing great.

The lack of patrons is what scares away food patrons.

#336 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

The one thing those "junk" vendors do is take away table space with which to sit down and eat your lunch.

When the junk vendors aren't there, those tables (the ones with all the "junk" on them) are all available to diners, when the junk vendors are there, it's often impossible to find a place to sit and eat in peace.

So unless you're eating at the curry joint, or one of the three or so tables available at the sushi place ... you can often be out of luck - with the junk vendors essentially using your lunch table to market their wares.

Overall, whoever is managing the place has obviously got to do a better job of defining "eating space" from "market space".

I'd posit that it's actually the food that brings 80% of the people into the Market in the first place, so best to concentrate on making sure diners have a comfortable experience rather than focus on trinket sellers who may be there one day, and gone the next.

• Nparker and Redd42 like this

#337 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Overall, whoever is managing the place has obviously got to do a better job of defining "eating space" from "market space".

I'd posit that it's actually the food that brings 80% of the people into the Market in the first place, so best to concentrate on making sure diners have a comfortable experience rather than focus on trinket sellers who may be there one day, and gone the next.

I suppose they like the trinket sales table revenue.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 December 2017 - 12:32 PM.

#338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:32 AM

Taco Stand opens today at the market in the space formerly occupied by Mama Oli’s. It’s by the folks behind Roast.
  • Nparker, Matt R. and GaryRanson like this

Know it all.

#339 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:35 AM

A Victoria-based vegan butcher has reached a major milestone with an initial public offering (IPO) on the Canadian Securities Exchange.

The Very Good Food Company, which runs Very Good Butchers out of Victoria’s Public Market, will benefit from $4,025,000 in earnings for offering 16,100,000 of it’s total 69,000,000 shares.

“We finally have the capital we need to realize our vision,” CEO Mitchell Scott told CTV News.

“So, we’re just getting started.”

The Very Good Food Company went public on June 18, at just $0.25 per share and closed Monday at $2.00 per share.

https://www.iheartra...ring-1.12773624

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2020 - 10:36 AM.

#340 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:38 AM

Some are going to be conflicted at this confluence of veganism and capitalism.  ;)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users