Photo

Proposal to reduce municipal speed limit to 40 km/h

• Please log in to reply
1454 replies to this topic

#1281 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:00 PM

Hilarious.  In my younger, more testosterone-filled bike racing days, if I ever saw a speed trap on a slow speed road (<50km/h) I'd stamp on the pedals as hard as I could to try to *get* a speeding ticket.  Major kudos from the boys if one did so...

• rjag, Bingo, Dr. Barillas and 1 other like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1282 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:49 PM

Speed limit reduction results are IN! 

On September 11, 2014, Council approved amendments to the Streets and Traffic Bylaw, reducing the speed limits on several streets from 50 km/h to 40 km/h, and reducing the speed limit on Cook Street between Southgate Street and Dallas Road from 50 km/h to 30 km/h. Council also endorsed a postinstallation monitoring process, which included collecting speed data on affected streets and parallel routes, where appropriate. The objective of the reduced speed zones was to improve safety for vulnerable road users, including pedestrians and cyclists. Pedestrian and cyclist safety is a top priority for the City as stated in the Official Community Plan and the Strategic Plan.

These reduced speed zones were installed before the end of December 2014, and a public communication strategy was implemented to inform residents of the changes. Post-installation monitoring studies were conducted in 2015 and the results were compared to 2014 data. Overall, the reduced speed zones are having only a minor impact on vehicle speeds (~2%), with average speeds still above the posted limits. Collision statistics remain close to pre-installation levels, showing minor increases in both pedestrian and cycling collisions, which may or may not be related to the changes.

You can read the whole report here: https://victoria.civ... Monitoring.PDF

• http likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1283 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,941 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

And despite expert information from professional drivers and concerns from BC Transit, the mayor sees no reason to re-evaluate the current speed reduction policies. http://www.cheknews....hes-not-226051/

#1284 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:18 PM

No, she just wants to see the study continued until it produces the results she wants.  I don't think that's how studies work

• Nparker, rjag and Love the rock like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1285 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,941 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:22 PM

No, she just wants to see the study continued until it produces the results she wants...

That was my thought exactly.

#1286 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:23 PM

No, she just wants to see the study continued until it produces the results she wants.  I don't think that's how studies work

Kind of like the Quebec referendum....

• sebberry, jonny and Love the rock like this

#1287 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:25 PM

Overall, the reduced speed zones are having only a minor impact on vehicle speeds (~2%), with average speeds still above the posted limits

Well, obviously, the speed limits are too high, then, and should be further reduced to 20kmh...

• rjag, Jill and Love the rock like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1288 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:15 PM

Overall, the reduced speed zones are having only a minor impact on vehicle speeds (~2%), with average speeds still above the posted limits

Well, obviously, the speed limits are too high, then, and should be further reduced to 20kmh...

Reduce the speed to 10kmh and the moderators will remove the post. 

#1289 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:56 AM

Coun. Ben Isitt, who championed the lower speed limits with former councillor Shellie Gudgeon, said it was always envisioned that lowering the limits was only a first step.

“How we envisioned this initiative at the time was that it would put a target on these corridors through our neighbourhoods where council wanted to introduce safer speeds. We saw signage as sort of a first step with the real long-term solution being infrastructure improvements and what could be called road diets along those corridors,” Isitt said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.ZBDKSNt5.dpuf

Road diets....my sides!

Edited by Jables, 04 October 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#1290 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

Road diets....my sides!

Go Ben! I don't often find myself saying that.... Road diets are great. 

#1291 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:10 AM

Go Ben! I don't often find myself saying that.... Road diets are great. 

Yep, they work wonders to reduce congestion, reduce carbon emissions, frustration and commute times. 

"Road diets" sounds like a trendy thing these days.  Like the "Gluten free, it's for me" bumper sticker I saw earlier today.

• Nparker likes this

#1292 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,941 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

..How we envisioned this initiative at the time was that it would put a target on these corridors through our neighbourhoods where council wanted to introduce safer speeds. We saw signage as sort of a first step with the real long-term solution being infrastructure improvements and what could be called road diets along those corridors,” Isitt said...

http://www.timescolo...h.ZBDKSNt5.dpuf

These folks MUST be stopped by whatever means necessary come October 2018.

#1293 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

Shellie Gudgeon is "delighted with the report".  Claims the reduction in limits was never to improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians but it was rather a perception issue. 

Well... perception is... more crashes? 

Wow.  She thinks a 53% compliance is a good rate. 

#1294 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,154 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:11 PM

The guy who soaks people who piss in his parking lot was just on cfax talking about this.

Matt.

#1295 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:50 PM

Yep, they work wonders to reduce congestion, reduce carbon emissions, frustration and commute times. 

"Road diets" sounds like a trendy thing these days.  Like the "Gluten free, it's for me" bumper sticker I saw earlier today.

Whatever makes transit corridors more appealing to alternate modes of transportation. Wider sidewalks, better bike lanes and better Public Transit. Those all help solve congestion, carbon emissions and commute times.

#1296 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:58 PM

It's about alternatives to congestion than relieving congestion itself.  People aren't stupid.  Give them a better alternative and they will choose it, especially if it's cheaper and just as fast/faster.  But of course you need to make it safe.  Nobody wants to die out there.

If they really want to lower the speed limits downtown just mess with the phasing.  You can still complete the perfect run on Blanshard from Fisgard to Broughton if you're on it.  That shouldn't be doable in an environment that is trying to prioritize pedestrians.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#1297 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:01 PM

Yeah no kidding. Personally I feel like Douglas and Blanchard need to be reduced to single alternating. Choke the thing until it completely dies. 

#1298 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,941 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

...Personally I feel like Douglas and Blanchard need to be reduced to single alternating. Choke the thing until it completely dies. 

Huh?

#1299 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

SKATEBOARDING ON SIDEWALKS IN VICTORIA

I find the following reaction from Mr. Loveday a little strange.  Is he calling the bylaw officers liars?

Bylaw officers have issued no tickets for non-compliance since bylaw changes were made. They conduct regular patrols downtown and ask boarders to walk while on the sidewalk but find it “challenging” to educate the boarders as “skateboarders do not always stop when directed by bylaw services staff,” the report says.

Loveday finds that hard to believe.

“I don’t really buy into the idea that a person on a skateboard won’t stop now. I think they’d probably actually be more likely to stop because now they are not going to have their skateboard taken away,” Loveday said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.i4Nicg4Y.dpuf

Edited by Daveyboy, 04 October 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#1300 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

Again, the goal is to limit people in Victoria to only those able to walk, bike, or are already in the city.

Phase 2... build the toll gates and wall everything off.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users