The Victoria emergency (fire/ambulance) services thread

• Please log in to reply
2560 replies to this topic

#2281 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 07:31 AM

Yeah, it looks like that might be it. What’s with the dumpster on its side?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2282 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 07:02 AM

Garbage truck buddy drove off with the dumpster on top of the truck, the extra height snagged the lines apparently. Power was out until about 3 o'clock that afternoon, forcing many businesses to close for the day. Wonder if the guy still has a job.

https://www.timescol...sday-1.24353826

• Mike K. likes this

#2283 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 07:19 AM

Ah, so the bin was "on" the truck. Crazy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2284 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 10:25 AM

Wonder if the guy still has a job.

Could be worse: https://www.youtube....h?v=YSxeWbT8UrQ (worksafebc)

#2285 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 07:20 AM

TCH Northbound is closed (as well as the Galloping Goose) between Carey and Tillicum. No reason given but forensics was there and clothing was seen in the road  https://vancouverisl...ation-1.5572481

#2286 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 07:24 AM

Word is someone was struck by a vehicle, possibly a commercial truck.

Northbound lanes remain closed but southbound lanes were closed for a while this AM, too. Vehicles are being detoured via Carey.

Know it all.

#2287 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:26 PM

There was a fire at the base of a power pole on Princess Street.

I called 911 when the fire was still pretty small and there was no-one there. Once I said "Fire" for the service I was put on hold.

I had time to stand on my balcony and watch the fire grow for a while, go inside and sit at the table, put the phone on speaker, continue shuffling cards and watch the fire grow. Police and fire arrived. I stayed on the line (because then they don't have to call back) and still waited.

Android oddly enough just show 911 calls in history, but I'd say I was on hold for at least 10 minutes. I wouldn't have wanted it to be my house.

#2288 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:48 PM

I guess we should no longer yell “fire!” in an emergency.

Know it all.

#2289 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:40 PM

There was a fire at the base of a power pole on Princess Street.

I called 911 when the fire was still pretty small and there was no-one there. Once I said "Fire" for the service I was put on hold.

I had time to stand on my balcony and watch the fire grow for a while, go inside and sit at the table, put the phone on speaker, continue shuffling cards and watch the fire grow. Police and fire arrived. I stayed on the line (because then they don't have to call back) and still waited.

Android oddly enough just show 911 calls in history, but I'd say I was on hold for at least 10 minutes. I wouldn't have wanted it to be my house.

A couple of weeks I noticed what appeared to be a downed power line hanging over the exit of my condo's parking lot.  About 10 feet off the ground.  It wasn't sparking or looking all that dangerous, and honestly looked like it was just the insulation that had fallen off the wire.

The fire department showed up with lights and sirens in less than 10 minutes.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2290 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 09:54 AM

Parksville man dies while family on 911 half-hour hold
  • TimesColonist
  • 15 Sep 2021
  •  
  •  
  • The children of a 72-year-old Parksville man say their father died on his kitchen floor while they were on hold with 911 for half an hour before an ambulance arrived.

Retired Mountie and lawyer Harry Charles Blakey died on Aug. 27, about 15 minutes into a 30-minute wait for an ambulance after 911 was called, said family.

Now a death that would have been heartbreaking on its own has been ratcheted up to traumatic.

“Get the 911 recording — you’ll hear a family watch their father die on the kitchen floor,” said Kevin Blakey in an interview from Calgary, where the couple lives.

“Being put on hold and having to hear that [automated message loop in the background], it was like water dripping on your forehead — torture. It would have been easier if we didn’t try. It would have been less traumatic.”

The family heard: “You have reached the B.C. Ambulance emergency line — a call taker will be with you shortly.” After a three-second gap, the recording played again. The minutes seemed like hours. Chuck, semiconscious, gasped for air.

At nine-and-a-half minutes, Kevin yelled into the phone “hurry the f*** up.” A voice on the other end said, in what Kevin described as a detached tone, that help was coming.

Morehttps://www.timescol...hold-1.24357946

#2291 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 07:56 AM

Can anyone else see what appears to be smoke coming from around the area of the former Paul's Motor Inn?

#2292 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:00 AM

Can anyone else see what appears to be smoke coming from around the area of the former Paul's Motor Inn?

You might want to try the fire department.

#2293 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:01 AM

I am not sure it IS a fire. The smoke, although significant, seems quite controlled.

#2294 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:04 AM

although significant

Kind of doubt they are having dance party with smoke machine

Edited by todd, 07 October 2021 - 08:05 AM.

#2295 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:23 AM

A block or so north there is a building that generates quite a bit of smoke in the mornings. It might be a coffee roasting place or perhaps a commercial grille.

When there is no wind (and the resultant fog) the smoke can hang around and build.

#2296 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:32 AM

You're probably right laconic. It's just a LOT more smoke than I have ever seen coming from this location and it is lasting much longer.

#2297 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 11:35 AM

It's likely smoke from the cement/gravel operations in Rock Bay.

Know it all.

#2298 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 12:05 PM

I was taking fog pictures this morning. That plume was rising straight up above the fog, not drifting at all.
  • Nparker likes this

#2299 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 12:13 PM

Here is the Rock Bay paving smoke rising up through the fog this morning. Hudson's light display is in the upper right.

Attached Images

• PXL_20211007_122604152.NIGHT.jpg

• Nparker, sebberry and todd like this

#2300 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 October 2021 - 12:17 PM

Perfect spot for fog timelapses.  Just saying ;)

• todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users