Photo

Smoken Bones Cookshack | Victoria | The Hudson Building on Douglas (Closed in 2014)

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

^ I love Cactus. I can't wait until they plant their heart into Uptown. (read close to my office)

Restaurants are a fickle business. I had one. Focus on the word "had".

You need a lot of magic to make money at these things....and you have to be willing to work from morning to night.

If it works for Smoken Bones then it works. It will be up to them and their magic. Otherwise....

#62 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

I got a weird feeling from the SB that was in Langford, the interior layout was bad. Food was good though.

#63 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

The newest issue of EAT magazine has a write-up on Smoken Bones that talks at length about their previous location, the owners, the decor in the new location and how the menu has changed. There's almost no mention of what the food actually tastes like.

#64 Tim

Tim
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Service was good and room is decent but the food was pretty poor as far as BBQ goes. I have done a good bit of that style of food in the past and still make it at home sometimes. Quite poor recipes or someone is not following them as I can make far better just off the cuff. A blind monkey could even assemble that style of food and it would be awesome if the meat cookery and sauce was done well in the first place. They really need to go visit Memphis Blues in Vancouver and get a taste of the style done right (I am assuming they are still as good as they were a few years back).

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

Went with a large group last night (15 maybe), service was good, food seemed pleasing to everyone.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

Application to have dancing/singing has been declined by city council.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#67 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Application to have dancing/singing has been declined by city council.

Because???

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

What exactly does "dancing/singing" refer to in the context of a restaurant environment?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

What exactly does "dancing/singing" refer to in the context of a restaurant environment?

It's called "audience participation", mainly dancing, and karaoke. Most councillors were opposed because of the residential above. Now, the place already has live acts often, I'm not sure that dancing or karaoke makes it any louder.

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Karaoke at a barbecue restaurant? I prefer butchered meat, thanks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

DRA and the building strata council sent letters in opposition.

#72 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

I wonder what the strata letter said...

"On behalf of the owners who purchased the strata lots directly above the commercial/entertainment establishment..."

No, that's not it.

"On behalf of the residents who bought homes directly across the road from the airport, we hereby request that no additional flights land due to noise concerns"

That's more like it.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#73 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

^That's not even remotely comparable. They have a right to refuse the audience participation aspect--that ain't what they signed up for. Sure, it might not affect most units but for a few of the ones on that floor it would be hellish. Most restaurants eventually change hands and what if it became Jellyfish II (remember that short-lived "faux" restaurant/lounge?) Now all of a sudden you've got a pseudo nightclub. I lived in a building where the restaurant experimented with a live DJ in the evenings. The residents nearby were driven mad by the constant "thump thump thump" and that experiment ended shortly.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#74 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

AND its not like they moved in with a restaurant already there.... it took years to fill the commercial space.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

^That's not even remotely comparable. They have a right to refuse the audience participation aspect--that ain't what they signed up for. Sure, it might not affect most units but for a few of the ones on that floor it would be hellish. Most restaurants eventually change hands and what if it became Jellyfish II (remember that short-lived "faux" restaurant/lounge?) Now all of a sudden you've got a pseudo nightclub. I lived in a building where the restaurant experimented with a live DJ in the evenings. The residents nearby were driven mad by the constant "thump thump thump" and that experiment ended shortly.

Ya, but I have a bit of experience with bands, and customer participation. I can assure you bands are louder than karaoke, or louder than dance-floor dancers.

I do agree that having a dance-floor or making it a pseudo-nightclub might make for later, louder nights (although they sought no change in their hours of operation).

I dunno, I'm also a bit unclear what they hoped to achieve with customer endorsement.

#76 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

I dunno, I'm also a bit unclear what they hoped to achieve with customer endorsement.

To distract diners from their mediocre attempt at Southern BBQ? Just a guess.

#77 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

AND its not like they moved in with a restaurant already there.... it took years to fill the commercial space.

So don't move into a downtown condo with undeveloped commercial downstairs on the main road in and out of the city if you don't like noise?

I wouldn't want that noise going on downstairs either and the business should be respectful of the homes above, but at some point you have to take some responsibility and think about what might go in downstairs.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

Then it's only fair the owners of affected units receive reparations from Smoken Bones and Townline for restricting their resale value and pool of buyers.

Know it all.

#79 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

I wonder what sorts of noise complaints are being received for the business right now?

“We do live venues all the time and, if somebody stands up and starts dancing, we’re at fault for not having public participation [as part of the licence], so can be fined or closed,” Hueston said.

“I don’t want to install a dance floor, and I don’t want to have nightclub vibrancy.”
TC Link

I'm not sure how these licences work. If the quote is accurate, then I doubt there'd be much more (if any) noise to be concerned with. The story is made to sound like the place is changing from a quiet romantic restaurant to a nightclub.

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

I'm not really sure what to make of this then. Are they saying they want to protect themselves against the odd patron getting up and dancing to the music just as a liquor inspector walks by, or are they attempting to introduce dancing as a regular part of their business?

Every business with live music deals with the possibility of a patron getting up and dancing. But most people will understand that doing so in a restaurant environment is ...strange. And that's probably why it doesn't happen very often unless the business indirectly encourages it to happen. I mean certainly with karaoke they're trying to engage their customers over and above what most restaurants would want to get involved with.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users