Photo

Gyro Park - Cadboro Bay

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#61 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

This fine vessel is in rough shape considering it has had "$40,000" spent on it over the past 6 years.

http://www.saanichne.../361345051.html

Yes but $40 grand doesn't go far when it comes to a boat that size.It's a write off now but it didn't need to be if the owner had spent some of that money on a larger anchor with an all chain rode.

#62 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:35 PM

Insurance, Insurance, Insurance. 

#63 weisguy86

weisguy86
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

Insurance, Insurance, Insurance. 

I guarantee you there is no insurance on that boat, the guy living on it is not even the registered owner.

#64 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

I was biking my kids home on the Selkirk last night and my 6 year old points out the boats in there and I told him people live on those boats.  He asks why.  I told him partly its because they don't have to pay any taxes if they live in the water.  He didn't seem to think that was fair.

No sh...t!

#65 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

I was biking my kids home on the Selkirk last night and my 6 year old points out the boats in there and I told him people live on those boats.  He asks why.  I told him partly its because they don't have to pay any taxes if they live in the water.  He didn't seem to think that was fair.

No sh...t!

Some say kids are a reflection of their parents

• Baro likes this

#66 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

Some say kids are a reflection of their parents

Oh yeah totally.  There's probably kids watching all of us on the bike from their SUV saying "bloody freeloader cyclists".  "Hey daddy he ran a stop sign!  Can we shoot him?"

#67 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

Oh yeah totally.  There's probably kids watching all of us on the bike from their SUV saying "bloody freeloader cyclists".  "Hey daddy he ran a stop sign!  Can we shoot him?"

Okay I'm sorry, didn't mean to get you going about bicycles again

#68 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

touché

#69 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

"who ya gonna call"

The concrete boat has pretty much been stripped and loaded into a dumpster up on shore.

It looks like the remains of a diesel stove still on board, and there is an oil film on the water inside and outside the wreck.

IMG_1732.jpg

inside the wreck

IMG_1723_1.jpg

outside the wreck

IMG_1725.jpg

#70 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:47 PM

At the south end of Cadboro Bay Beach are another six vessels that washed up two weeks ago...and longer.

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1749_1.jpg

The remains of and old houseboat that was driven ashore in a storm a few years ago.

IMG_1750.jpg

A view of how the anchorage looks like when the wind is out of the west.

But when the 'sou easter blows straight into the bay from the far horizon, you better have a solid anchor and chain.

The boats at left look a little more exposed and it wouldn't be my choice as a place to anchor.

IMG_1735.jpg

#71 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:48 AM

At the south end of Cadboro Bay Beach are another six vessels that washed up two weeks ago...and longer.

The remains of and old houseboat that was driven ashore in a storm a few years ago.

IMG_1750.jpg

On the bright side some of the derelict boats are helping to stabilize the cliffside

#72 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:43 AM

I think this thing is starting to fall into the "derelict" category.

boatresized.jpg

• nagel likes this

#73 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:34 AM

^Nope the are all private property that we must be sensitive about moving. We don't want to make someone homeless, irregardless how unsafe the situation might be.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#74 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:10 AM

^Nope the are all private property that we must be sensitive about moving. We don't want to make someone homeless, irregardless how unsafe the situation might be.

I'm pretty sure the receiver of wreck with a photo provided would waive the waiting period and sign it over to whoever wanted it so long as they were confident that the person/entity would properly remove it. Anyone looking for a vessel for their Hawaiian cruise?

https://www.tc.gc.ca...ograms-629.html

NPPPAC-PPNPAC@tc.gc.ca

Edited by todd, 05 January 2016 - 10:21 AM.

#75 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

No one did anything about the locals who stripped the boat and put rubble into a dumpster that was provided.

The owner could be glad to have the thing off his hands.

All you need are some airbags to make the thing float and then tow it out into the straits until it accidently sinks.

#76 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:35 AM

The issue of derelict boats was brought before Saanich council Monday night.
 A committee of council voted in favour of a recommendation directing staff to seek permission from the owners of two vessels in the Cadboro Bay area to remove the boats.
 Saanich Mayor Richard Atwell says he wishes the council could develop a comprehensive strategy to deal with the issue of derelict vessels in general, instead of having to consider each case one by one.

http://www.cfax1070....-Derelict-Vesse

#77 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

^

http://www.duhaime.o...e-A-Primer.aspx

• todd likes this

#78 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:43 PM

I like the bit about booty, bur what whatever happened to pillage and plunder?

#79 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

After 2 months it's appalling that this wreck is still buried in the sand on an otherwise pristine Cadboro Bay beach.

The City of Victoria Fire Department along with the Canadian Coast Guard spent two days raising a derelict boat on the Gorge a month ago, so what are we waiting for at Cadboro Bay......SPRING?

Just above the appalling wreck is a brand new adventure playground for kids complete with a concrete boat, all of which have been engineered to be safe for kids to .....CLIMB ON.

Thank you Saanich for that beautiful park.

A hundred metres away you have another concrete boat half buried in the sand with all kinds of adventure awaiting some curious kids.

Who knows what bits of broken glass, sharp metal and other hazards are in there?

And there this derelict boat sits.....WAITING.

It's appalling.

IMG_2433.jpg

#80 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:13 AM

Richard Watts / Times Colonist February 3, 2016 06:00 AM

Saanich Coun. Judy Brownoff hopes senior governments can get on board a plan to pay for safe, sustainable and environmentally sound disposal of old boats.

In an interview Tuesday, Brownoff said she hopes to see creation of a fund devoted to safely dealing with derelict vessels.

The fund would receive money from small fees, or surcharges, paid at certain points in the life of a boat.

Saanich has been afflicted with derelict boats washing up on its beaches, spilling everything from old fuel to used hypodermics left behind by previous users.

Two boats, including a concrete hulled vessel, have washed up in recent weeks on Cadboro Bay beach in Gyro Park.

The municipality has received estimates of at least $50,000 and 200 hours of worker time to remove the vessels.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.DRdXNSWk.dpuf

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users