Photo

CRD Transportation survey

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Did you get a CRD Transportation survey notice in the mail (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you get a CRD Transportation survey notice in the mail

1. No, because I live outside the CRD (2 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

2. No, I'm a loser, baby (13 votes [68.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.42%

3. Yes, I'm a winner! (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:30 AM

O.K., it seems about 103% of us received notice in the mail of the CRD Transportation survey. I don't know why they mailed out announcements six months ahead of time. Shuttle astronauts don't get that much advance notice. Everyone will have forgotten about the notice by the time the survey rolls around. Or are we supposed to be studying?

And how come so many of us were chosen? Co-incidence? Or were they mailed out by the tens of thousands? Or did they choose respondents on the basis of their "total awesomeness"?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

They sent it to me two days before the deadline! By the time I got to the survey, thinking I had a week or so at least, I realized that the due date had already passed me by.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:43 AM

I didn't get.
Maybe you got it because of your "total geekiness".:)

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:47 AM

^Impossible.

Derf, the deadline passed? I glanced at the form and it said people will be reminded by phone later so I didn't bother with it any further.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:50 AM

I got a phonecall in late October or what have you, and they asked whether I wanted to participate and whether I wanted to participate by paper or over the phone. I said it'd be easier for me to have the forms mailed.

Several weeks later the envelope arrives with a deadline for submitting the sheets. There was no mention anywhere that I'd receive a phonecall at some point.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:07 AM

I would like to participate but I guess I don't get to...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

I didn't get it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:32 PM

I glanced at the form and it said people will be reminded by phone later so I didn't bother with it any further.

ditto.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

I'm lovin' that CRD efficiency.

Coming soon in the mail: Protect yourself from the Y2K bug.

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

Obviously this survey is ****ed because we didn't take part. Oh well.

SURVEY SHOWS VEHICLE USE ON THE RISE IN C.R.D.

Apr 4, 2007

RESULTS OF A NEW SURVEY SUGGEST AUTOMOBILE TRAVEL IS ON THE RISE IN THE CAPITAL REGION.

THE 2006 ORIGIN/DESTINATION SURVEY FINDS SEVERAL TRENDS SUGGESTING MORE PEOPLE ARE DRIVING -- AND DRIVING ALONE -- THAN WAS THE CASE FIVE YEARS AGO.

THE STUDY RESULTS WERE PRESENTED AT WEDNESDAY'S CAPITAL REGIONAL DISTRICT TRAVELCHOICES SELECT COMMITTEE MEETING -- THAT'S THE BODY LOOKING AT WAYS TO GET PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THE C.R.D. OUT OF THEIR CARS.

COMMITTEE CHAIR AND SAANICH COUNCIL MEMBER VIC DERMAN SAYS THE NEW DATA SHOWS AN UNFORTUNATE TREND SINCE THE LAST SUCH SURVEY, IN 2001.

"THE PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE WHO ARE CHOOSING TO USE THE AUTOMOBILE AS THEIR METHOD OF TRAVEL HAS GONE UP, RATHER THAN GOING DOWN," DERMAN SAYS. "WE WERE SOMEWHERE IN THE RANGE OF 59-PERCENT IN 2001, AND NOW WE'RE GETTING UP CLOSE TO 63-64 PERCENT OF PEOPLE WHO ARE MAKING THAT CHOICE.

THE SURVEY SHOWS THE AVERAGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE PER VEHICLE TRAVELLING IN THE C.R.D. WAS 1.08%.

THE ORIGIN/DESTINATION SURVEY WAS DONE BY RANDOM MAILOUT TO LOCAL HOMES -- AND SAW A 60-PERCENT RETURN RATE.:roll:

#11 van-island

van-island
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:13 AM

What do they expect?

They built a city for the car, so most people use a car. If there were other decent options, the story might be different.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:45 AM

There is still a lingering impact on travel modes, choices and needs from COVID. This needs to be cited every time a piece of data is referenced. We can't really compare 2017 to 2022, we have to create a cap in 2019, and start fresh.

https://e1.envoke.co...f1e31b74ee7cb3 

Key Findings
Regional transportation goals are listed below. The OD Survey provides data that helps track the region’s progress toward achieving these goals.

Goal 1: Reduce congestion in the morning and afternoon peak periods
People are taking fewer trips, with a 10% reduction in total trips in 2022 despite a 9% increase in population since 2017. This trend can be attributed to changing travel behaviours in the densely populated Core (Victoria, Saanich, Oak Bay, Esquimalt and View Royal). However, trips within the Westshore (Langford, Colwood, Highlands, Metchosin and Sooke), and between the Westshore and the Core and the Saanich Peninsula (Central Saanich, Sidney and North Saanich), are slightly higher in 2022.

Trip volumes are also slightly down. People taking fewer trips throughout the day correspond to reductions in work and school commutes, as well as shopping, restaurant/bar, social activities and other activities that occur outside the commuter peaks. All these reductions are consistent with the lingering effects of pandemic activity shifts.

Goal 2: Increase the number of people walking, cycling and taking transit

Mode share continues to trend in the right direction, with 29% of trips made by walking, cycling and transit use. This is up from the 2017 mode share of 26.6%. The regional mode share goal is 45%. As with trip volumes, mode share varies depending on where you live in the region.

Goal 3: Reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the transportation sector
In addition to gains in mode share, the region is also showing gains in the number of EVs-only. The gain in EVs between 2017 and 2022 is significant from 1,900 to 11,900 vehicles. EVs now represent 4% of the region’s private vehicles, with hybrids at 3% and plug-in hybrids at 1%. Note that the numbers in the OD survey reflect the responses of surveyed households and may not correspond to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia’s vehicle population breakdown.

Know it all.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:50 AM

Here's the break-down of travel mode share.

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 8.49.51 AM.png

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users