Photo
- - - - -

Tom Harris Jeep Chrysler False Advertising??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Same thing happened to me 8 years ago. They ran an ad for Jeep Liberty leases for zero down and $225 per month for 36 months (or thereabouts) and showed a stock number and listed extras such as mag wheels A/C power group etc. When I went in they said that the vehicle in question had been sold and they proceeded to try and place me in a lesser equipped model for the same price claiming it was the same vehicle. I pulled the ad and said I wanted the options as shown and it was a Mexican standoff, when I threatened to walk across the street to the BBB then I started getting some traction, took about 3 hours of wasting my time before I got the vehicle....funny thing was I only kept it about 4 months as it was a lemon and I unloaded it on leasebusters and the guy that took it was fully aware of the history but was willing to take the chance.

I would never buy from them even under the new name as its the same bait and switch tactics that they tried to use on me.

#22 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

^ This isn't isolated to Tom Harris Jeep. I think this bait and switch tactic is fairly common in automotive retail. The dealers hide behind the protection of the fine print which says "Vehicle not exactly as shown" or something similar.

I experienced the same frustration when I purchased my car last fall. Most ads show the price for the base model with pictures of a fully loaded model.

I don't think this is an honest business practice, but it seems to be an industry practice.

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

I think uninformed and unprepared consumers are really at risk from unscrupulous dealer tactics.

When I bought my car I went in knowing exactly what I wanted for my trade and what I wanted to pay for the new one. The dealer came about as close as they could to my offer.

14 days after it was bolted, screwed, welded, glued and stitched together in Indiana I had the exact model I wanted in my possession at the price I wanted to pay.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

I think uninformed and unprepared consumers are really at risk from unscrupulous dealer tactics.

Well, that's their fault. Honestly, there is no other industry where you are so in control.

Walk in, say you want to leave the lot today with XXX model, with XXX features, and you have exactly $XXX to give them including all taxes and fees. No more money can be extracted from you today.

Deal, or no deal. Seems easy to me.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Harrisdodge

Harrisdodge
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hi History Buff

I had a look at the advertisement you are questioning and you are correct that the vehicle in the picture has a few differences to that of a base unit, particulary the wheels. As you may or may not know, when we advertise a unit we tell the newspaper the model and they pull the pictures from stock photos. It is nearly impossible to select exactly the vehicle as advertised because there is such a variety of options available and not enough pictures to represent all the different configurations. The vehicle in the advertisement is currently in stock and is listed for sale at the advertised price of 19998.00 which includes the 5000.00 discount. At any given time we can sell out of these vehicles because they are discounted so heavily. In that event we are able to search the Jeep inventory and try to obtain one from another dealer if they have one in stock, or factory order one and still receive the current discounts. As much as we would love to always have the exact unit a customer wants in stock the day they come into the store, it is impossible to do. I hope that this helps answer your question and if you are still interested in the Jeep at the advertised price of 19998.00 we do have one in stock. But please hurry or you may find the same situation once again. Sincerely D Meyerink General Manager Harris Victoria Dodge.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for taking the time to clarify, Mr. Meyerink.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

If you don't make your own ad.... suffer the wrath.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users