Photo

SNAP Victoria .. what?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:14 AM

I suppose this falls under Print Media.. sorta.. kinda.

Pickin up some pizza from the Romeos on Hillside the other day and killed some time by picking up what appeared to be a newspaper/Monday Mag type paper from the stand inside..

www.snapvictoria.com

Ended up quickly flipping through the.. 6, 8 maybe pages and actually felt less intelligent for the experience.

It appears to be a few pages of nothing but pictures of random reasonably attractive people at a handful of events in the city... with some ads interspersed.

I know Im not in charge of Good Taste worldwide or anything (though I really should be, it'd be so much easier) .. but its kind've unfortunate the amount of natural resources that went into creating this rag.

cakes..

#2 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

It's been around for at least 5 years. It's popular with those who want to be seen as being important in the community.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

It's been around for at least 5 years. It's popular with those who want to be seen as being important in the community.

That's it's trick. Everyone rushes out to get a copy of any paper when they know they are in it or a story they are quoted in appears in it. Same if you are on TV etc.

So if you are ad advertiser in this paper, they come to your events or store etc., and take lots of pictures. It's not at all a bad idea. Not withstanding the ads are expensive compared to the circulation.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

as of the October issue, re-branded as "snapd victoria". same basic idea as before, unfortunately a lot of the photos look out of focus due to what must be printing issues. good news is, your eyes aren't to blame for some of the subjects looking a little jumpy.

#5 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Seems just a shade shy of mass stalking of the public, though most of the participants are smiling so I suppose they knew their snapshots were being taken (and possibly would show up in the publication at some near future point).

Interesting concept: snap hundreds of pics, so you're sure of hundreds of readers looking for their pics in your 'publication' (to provide some circulation figures to satisfy your advertisers), along with any who just like looking at pretty pictures of random people.

jbw

ps. Reminds me of Britain's proliferation of closed circuit monitoring TV systems (something like 2,000,000 cctvs a couple of years ago and growing). (old 2011 article: http://www.theguardi...ng-surveillance

I expect very soon that facial recognition and body movement recognition software will be used to identify each and every moving person seen, so that individuals' movements in detail can be tracked and logged for later reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users