BUILT
Dominion Rocket Residences
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 700-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Dominion Rocket Residences is a micro-unit rental building in the former Dominion Hotel at Yates and Blanshard... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dominion Rocket Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

Victoria Rocket Residences at the Dominion (Dalton Hotel) | Renovated into rentals in 2015

Rental

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#421 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:02 PM

I never saw them being installed, so unsure.  They could just be City mandated design, I suppose.  But the way they were marked out 7 days in advance could mean there was at least some coordination between parties.

I do know it took another letter to City Council to get this bit of action.  And it's pretty clear by the simplicity of the installation that engineering was not a hurdle here that caused a 1-year delay.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#422 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:57 PM

They have a lot of parking to provide and putting a few 2-up racks isn't going to fulfill the commitment.

The cynic in me wonders if the City forgot about the agreement, and a public works guy was driving around and thought, "hmm, I think that area of Yates could use a couple of bike racks".

#423 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:13 AM

VHF has reminded them on several occasions that the developer used the bike racks as a part of his proposal, and council approved the project with the bike racks as an amenity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#424 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:16 AM

I do know it took another letter to City Council to get this bit of action.  And it's pretty clear by the simplicity of the installation that engineering was not a hurdle here that caused a 1-year delay.

A lot of us scratched our heads and said "how are they going to fit 24 bike spots in this space?"

• Mike K. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#425 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:09 AM

Six bike racks have been installed, the type that takes one bike per side.

That seems 50% short of the required goal of 24 spaces still.

File_000 (53).jpeg

That's a terrible design. I see more people using them as back rests when sitting on the street than actual bikes locked up to them.

#426 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

...I see more people using them as back rests when sitting on the street than actual bikes locked up to them.

That's at least partially due to the fact that Victoria has more people sitting on the streets than we have bikes.

#427 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

A lot of us scratched our heads and said "how are they going to fit 24 bike spots in this space?"

Especially since you could fit one of these multi-bike units in roughly the same amount of space.

Victoria City Hall. Making Simple Things Complicated Since 1862.

Edited by Rob Randall, 16 September 2016 - 10:41 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#428 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

I just checked it out. There are five of those racks along the length of the sidewalk. Two bikes maximum per rack means only 10 bikes can park there. Let's be generous and include the two existing bike spaces around by Foo. That's still only 12, half of what they are legally obligated to provide.

TC, January 2015:

Space for a further 24 bikes was to be made available through provision of six bike racks on Yates Street and two V-shaped racks on the corner at Blanshard and Yates. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.X5MBCKue.dpuf

So are there more racks coming? They've already burned off most available room.

#429 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

There's not a lot about this project that has gone as planned is there?

#430 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

I just checked it out. There are five of those racks along the length of the sidewalk. Two bikes maximum per rack means only 10 bikes can park there. Let's be generous and include the two existing bike spaces around by Foo. That's still only 12, half of what they are legally obligated to provide.

TC, January 2015:

So are there more racks coming? They've already burned off most available room.

Ah ha, the memo I saw from the City said it might be done over a couple weeks.

#431 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

So I am confused. Is the city installing the bike racks or is the Rocket actually paying for their installation?

#432 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

The recently installed are City. I watched them install them from the safety of the Taphouse, I could watch people work all day.

Edited by SimonH, 16 September 2016 - 02:26 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#433 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

The recently installed are City...

So in other words, Rocket hasn't fulfilled any part of their obligation.   :whyme:

• sdwright.vic likes this

#434 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

So in other words, Rocket hasn't fulfilled any part of their obligation.   :whyme:

They might have paid for them.

File_008 (2).jpeg File_007 (6).jpeg

#435 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:15 PM

They might have paid for them...

It would be nice to know definitively who is footing the bill.

#436 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:50 PM

They might have paid for them.

Think of the trees as they are not about to loose those to bike racks, besides you can chain three or four bikes to each tree as well as to those lamp standards

#437 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:43 AM

Councillor Loveday has sent along a photo on the installation happening today.

image1.JPG

• Rob Randall and nagel like this

#438 qnx

qnx
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDowntown

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

Following up on this story from June that the Rocket was for sale:

http://victoria.citi...isted-for-sale/

Hearing that Anthem Properties have purchased the building.

#439 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

The building did/is changing hands this week.

#440 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

$18.3 million apparently.

Edited by SimonH, 18 December 2016 - 02:41 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users