Downtown Victoria Business Association (DVBA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
508 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

Heard Bray on cfax this afternoon. Brennae tried to get him to bash the bike lanes but he didn’t bite at all. Oh cfax...

He said he hasn’t received one complaint re Pandora post construction.

He was all Mr. Optimism in that interview. Which I guess he needs to be.  But I hope he knows downtown has some problems.  He can see out his office window, no?  

• pennymurphy2000 and Seechelle1969 like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:35 AM

He was starting to get into “street issues” but the topic was accidentally deflected.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 OllyV

OllyV
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:12 AM

Have we heard anything regarding the RCMP investigation into the Penticton BA?

http://www.kelownada...5288bf5358.html

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:09 AM

Thank you!

From the article:

After a nearly 18-month investigation, Penticton RCMP are recommending charges over a series of “financial irregularities” involving someone connected with the Downtown Penticton Association.

Supt. Ted De Jager confirmed Friday that the detailed file is now in the hands of the Crown’s office in Penticton.

Former DPA executive director Kerri Milton said in a May 2017 interview that she was surprised to learn of the investigation.

Milton, who now resides in Victoria, noted she was particularly surprised by the possibility of financial irregularities because DPA bookkeeping and auditing are handled by outside firms, and cheques are signed by board members.

“I didn’t even have signing authority on purpose, because of keeping it an arm’s-length situation, so I don’t even know how that would be possible,” she said.

The name of the suspect or suspects has not been disclosed to the media. It is known that the investigation zeroed in on a time frame between 2013 and 2016.

• OllyV likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 OllyV

OllyV
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:05 PM

Thank you!

No problem. 

This story was also featured in the Vancouver Sun and the Province a couple weeks ago.

Maybe it made provincial news due to Kerri's connection. Just a guess.

#86 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

does anyone know what downtown victoria 2020 is/was?

i see this but links are dead

https://vibrantvicto...-annual-report/

and i see this on the puzzle pieces

Speaking of feedback, painting the crosswalks and sidewalks seemed like a fairly benign decision, but you got slammed for it as a waste of money.
Here’s a classic example of misunderstanding, and this really gets under my skin. “Why are you wasting the tax dollars on painting the sidewalk?” Well, actually, we’re not. The City put in $60,000, the private sector put in $120,000. There’s sidewalks, there’s a new retail kiosk, there’s new public art, there’s a new bike shelter, there’s a new bike-mechanic station — so we turned $60,000 tax dollars into a $120,000 investment in the public realm. Isn’t that what you want? Isn’t that the point? That’s good business sense.

https://douglasmagaz...esnt-hold-back/

if 120k came from the private sector (dvba and 2020) i wonder where 2020 got their money from?

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

Victoria 2020 was a sort of conference series to come up with ideas on how to improve the city.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#88 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:23 PM

Primarily backed by Jawl Properties, I believe.

Know it all.

#89 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:33 PM

Victoria 2020 was a sort of conference series to come up with ideas on how to improve the city.

Hit the Easy button - get rid of Helps and Isitt.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#90 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:21 AM

The DVBA plans to survey its members.

In a bid to determine the issues faced by businesses in Victoria’s core, the Downtown Victoria Business Association is launching what it hopes will be an annual survey. The DVBA intends to contact each of its 1,500 members to get an idea of business performance, the experience of operating downtown and issues the businesses face...

https://www.timescol...sels-1.23661700

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:32 AM

They're only now doing this?

Know it all.

#92 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:34 AM

They're only now doing this?

That was sort of my thought as well.

#93 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 05:44 AM

The Downtown Victoria Business Association’s $500,000 lights extravaganza, Lights of Wonder, opens at Centennial Square at 4 p.m. today.

It features glowing likenesses of trees, orcas, the legislature and the Gate of Harmonious Interest, plus interactive light tunnels.

https://www.timescol...uare-1.24039302

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 December 2019 - 05:45 AM.

#94 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:12 PM

After a more than six hours of discussions about housing, parking and business recovery, Victoria council made several decisions that could change the look and feel of the city this summer.

“Staff will start working right away on options for cafes, options for retailers to sell their goods and services outside and to make all of downtown feel like an open air market for the whole summer,” Helps said during a press conference Friday.

Council also passed temporary bylaw adjustments to allow businesses to sell items in front of their shops and set up tables and chairs outside restaurants, coffee shops and bakeries.

Businesses will also be able to use public spaces or squares adjacent to their facility.

https://www.vicnews....for-the-summer/

i place this here because i do not see the dvba comment on this item. 

they speak for downtown businesses.   what do they say about this?  do businesses have the staff to man not only their stores but sidewalk displays too?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 May 2020 - 05:16 PM.

#95 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:30 PM

^Obviously, no business would feel obligated to set up on the sidewalk. This is a good idea to allow certain businesses that have limited space to spread out their customers inside and would benefit from extending the store onto the sidewalk. True, at least one employee would have to guard it but the employer could justify it by considering it a bit of proactive promotion. 

This is just about giving retailers new tools to help them get back on their feet. 

#96 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:34 PM

but with tables on the sidewalks limiting space won't the council want to block off parking and/or traffic lanes too?  i think that's where helps is going here.

• Teardrop likes this

#97 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:45 PM

but with tables on the sidewalks limiting space won't the council want to block off parking and/or traffic lanes too? i think that's where helps is going here.

I'd say that's pretty much a given.

#98 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:52 PM

^Well, it would have to be a case-by-case basis. Some streets are arterials and can't be blocked off. But some, like Broad Street would be good candidates for being pedestrian-only. I think it will work itself out.

#99 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:54 PM

^Well, it would have to be a case-by-case basis. Some streets are arterials and can't be blocked off. But some, like Broad Street would be good candidates for being pedestrian-only. I think it will work itself out.

you'd think.  but we've been working on just lower government being car-free for 40 years now.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 May 2020 - 06:55 PM.

#100 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:22 AM

^Yeah, that's a mystery. We seem to have worked out any possible problem with closing Government--using automatic bollards, scheduled truck delivery times but it remains a tough nut to crack. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users