[James Bay] Victoria Skyride gondola | Cancelled in 2013

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

The proponent of the project said on CFAX that the pushback from the JBNA was the worst he's ever dealt with in his many years doing this in many countries.

Now that's saying something. 

Have they done one that goes right along residential city streets like this though?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

^ JBNEA doesn't like stinky tour busses.  Surely they would be OK with a quiet tram that they could also use to whip downtown?

Remember, my tram is self-financing if it gets that new commercial real estate at Douglas/Dallas.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

You could give everyone in James Bay a star trek teleporter and you still would never get a delopement at Douglas and Dallas
  • Nparker likes this

#64 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

The proponent of the project said on CFAX that the pushback from the JBNA was the worst he's ever dealt with in his many years doing this in many countries.

I was at the open house around an hour after it started and the two proponents I could identify looked pretty haggered already. One of them was being very reasonable and trying to answer questions but looked like he was getting swamped by slow-moving zombies the whole time I was there.

The anti-reaction is quite knee-jerk, even I initially said WTF. Looking at the presentation though I certainly would prefer this to the other popular option of the slow-moving crowd which is apparently magic TARDIS-style buses (bigger on the inside) which are powered by unicorn farts.

As for trams/light rail, I'd support that as well. especially if it served the Menzies Street corridor.

• Nparker and Bingo like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

It is an embarrassment to this entire city when a neighbourhood puts on such displays of opposition. Sure, individuals may disagree with a proposal, but why do they have to stoop so low? I've seen first hand what can happen when individuals are in opposition to a plan and it's disgusting.

Quite honestly I'm surprised that developers and even politicians can remain so patient throughout these meetings.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

You could give everyone in James Bay a star trek teleporter and you still would never get a delopement at Douglas and Dallas

My tram will settle for a 15-20 floor highrise on the Clover Point property then, for financing.  That's outside of park boundaries.

• Nparker likes this

#67 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

^ I thought developers needed 15-20 storeys just to break even ;-)

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

My tram will hire an experienced contractor like Campbell to build it on a set-price contract, and finance it.  Then we will auction the suites, in the biggest event this city has ever seen.  My tram takes all the proceeds above Cambell's contact price.

#69 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

I wonder how much money was spent on design work and related marketing costs up to this point.

Stick figure drawing of plan: $5 for crayons and $15 for some high school kid to scan it and post it online

Crack: $30

Total: $50

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hold on now, where can you get crack for $30?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Well, imagine a 70 foot high Tram tower next to your house, where people can stare into your backyard. Trams, of course, are not silent, either.  There seems to me to be little sympathy to the needs or lives of others showing in this thread. 

Of course it's fine I guess - its not in your backyard after all.

Edited by eseedhouse, 12 December 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#72 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

Actually either route would pass over my home as I live between Montreal and Oswego streets.

Living in James Bay there is almost no where that is not visible from an apartment buildings windows or balconies or from a neighbours house. The intrusion into privacy IMO would be minimal.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

... and would it be more loud than general road noise?

#74 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Perhaps the mayor of Toronto would have an idea?

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

Actually I'd have no problem with this running along my street. Assuming the towers are more than 4 storeys tall I'd never even see the cars from my windows (I am on the 3rd floor). Due to concerns regarding melanoma I almost never lie outside naked these days, and even if I did, the experience would be far scarier for the passengers in the gondola cars than it would be to me. :banana:

• tedward likes this

#76 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

Ok, it seems the gondola plan is not going to work.

So, how about digging a canal down Oswego and through MacDonald Park?  Then have the other type of gondola ferrying people back and forth.

Or would the JBNA object to the gondoliers singing? 

• Nparker and tedward like this

#77 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

Everywhere.....you gotta get out more Mike. :)

#78 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

Ok, it seems the gondola plan is not going to work.

So, how about digging a canal down Oswego and through MacDonald Park?  Then have the other type of gondola ferrying people back and forth.

Or would the JBNA object to the gondoliers singing? 

Make it bumper boats and I'll sign on :P.

• Nparker likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users