APPROVED
Marson
Use: condo
Address: 4734-4754 Elk Lake Drive
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 11
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: pre-sales
Marson, building A is an 11-storey condominium along the 4700-block of Elk Lake Drive in Saanich within Victor... (view full profile)
Learn more about Marson on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Marson (formerly Doral Forest Park) | Condos | 11 and 5-storeys

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 yellow_baron

yellow_baron
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:27 PM

Amazing! I love the design and this brings in much needed supply - glad to see it go through despite the loud and 'concerned' jackasses. 

#22 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:40 PM

Approved!

Looks great to me. This is good news.

#23 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:38 AM

Protesters rallied outside of Saanich municipal hall Monday (June 14) to express concern about a development proposal for an 11-storey building in Royal Oak.

i can see that being a concern if that's all someone knows, but as it's designed the forest of beaver lake park is still the dominant visual mass and the building steps down from there. it seems to fit the context just right.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 18 June 2021 - 11:38 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#24 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,310 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 05:32 AM

Approved!

7-2 as well.

of course chambers opposed it.  she's brutal.

Judy Brownoff and Nathalie Chambers were opposed, both citing environmental concerns.

It was a major victory for the developer. Mike Geric Construction submitted its first application to build on the site in 2013, but it never made it past the staff level. This was the company’s third version of revised plans. It’s taken about 16 months from submitting the new application with a reduced footprint and additional height to this week’s public hearing, including several tweaks with Saanich staff and discussions with neighbours, said Greg Gillespie, development manager for Mike Geric Construction.

https://www.timescol...nich-1.24332499

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 June 2021 - 05:34 AM.

#25 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:02 AM

8 years....what would the cost of construction and purchase have been 8 years ago compared to now?

The cost to carry this land for so long and the continual changes that were required aren't free and will have to be factored in to the final price.

#26 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 05:21 PM

Does Darron Kloster seriously think a 13 story mid-rise is a tower? 

#27 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:33 PM

This looks great!  Would love to buy in that area.  I'm curious how much the "affordable" units would be.  I certainly would entertain buying pre-construction, alas, I have a feeling I wouldn't even be able to afford an "affordable" unit on lowly single government income.  This town...

#28 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,310 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:34 PM

yes. government income should pay more.

if only there were a way to get more money for it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2021 - 03:35 PM.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:47 PM

This looks great! Would love to buy in that area. I'm curious how much the "affordable" units would be. I certainly would entertain buying pre-construction, alas, I have a feeling I wouldn't even be able to afford an "affordable" unit on lowly single government income. This town...

Hang tight. We’ll have info in due course.

In the meantime, if you haven’t already, start the process of pre-qualifying for a mortgage or understand what your mortgage possibilities are, if you haven’t done so already. Being ready to act can make the difference between qualifying for and getting a unit under these programs and scrambling to get your affairs in order to apply on time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:55 PM

This looks great! Would love to buy in that area. I'm curious how much the "affordable" units would be. I certainly would entertain buying pre-construction, alas, I have a feeling I wouldn't even be able to afford an "affordable" unit on lowly single government income. This town...

15% below appraisal, according to the staff report. Studios limited to low-income buyers, larger units open to low- and middle-income buyers. Must be a first time buyer, and no rental or vacation rentals permitted. Same program as at Vivid it sounds like?

Edited by Jackerbie, 24 June 2021 - 05:58 PM.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:36 PM

It just might be, yes. Time will tell what sorts of restrictions get put in place. Regardless, these programs are excellent starter home opportunities and the location is great!
  • DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 02:11 PM

In the meantime, if you haven’t already, start the process of pre-qualifying for a mortgage or understand what your mortgage possibilities are, if you haven’t done so already. Being ready to act can make the difference between qualifying for and getting a unit under these programs and scrambling to get your affairs in order to apply on time.

Thanks for this Mike, I am however, already an owner.  I own an older "glorified apartment' condo that is basically in the cheapest building in a good area.  Was affordable for me when I bought it about 15 years ago.  Now, I'm not sure I'd be able to as my salary hasn't changed all that much since then!

Must be a first time buyer

Sigh.  Oh well.

I'll have to continue to dream to be able to move to a newer, more energy efficient (with AC!), more soundproofed, place.  Still, glad to not be paying rent to someone else!

• DavidSchell likes this

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 02:22 PM

15 years ago? You just might have sufficient equity.

Have you explored your options already to know where you stand? I apologize if you have, but I run across people on the regular believing they can’t qualify for something without actually checking in to see where they stand, that I make a habit of asking.

Know it all.

#34 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 08:31 PM

I read the letters Saanich councilors received about this development... if Victorians weren't such luddites I would've guessed they were randomly generated by an AI. Glad city hall got this one through at least.

#35 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 May 2022 - 08:02 AM

It’s now renamed to the Marson https://marsonelklake.com/ I attended the presale soft launch yesterday. The way the building steps back it means that quite a few units are sub penthouse with very large rooftop patios.

#36 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 10:24 AM

This thread needs a title correction. Marson, not Marsen.

• Nparker likes this

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 06:04 PM

^thank you!

Know it all.

#38 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,310 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 06:21 AM

Capital Daily (newsletter):

Elk Lake development approved

A proposal to build 242 condo units on a lot next to Elk/Beaver Lake Regional Park has been approved by Saanich council. The project, by Mike Geric Construction, goes back nearly a decade in various forms, and cleared its final hurdle Monday night. Since the company first proposed a project on the site in 2013, it has added more density and height to the plan. The company says construction should begin in 2023.

The proposal was debated earlier along lines of traffic, disturbance of the park, and noise versus the need for housing in the growing community, but the final reading on Monday passed with Coun. Nathalie Chambers the only councillor voting in opposition.

The approval comes with strings for the developer. Forty-three units (studio, one-, and two-bedroom) are going to be designated in perpetuity as affordable, to be sold at 15% below market value. The strata will be barred from prohibiting rentals, which is in line with new provincial rules.

The developer is also going to be required to install electric vehicle and e-bike charging stations (along with 10 e-bikes for resident use), and have two car-share vehicles on site.

Saanich will also receive $700,000 in "community contributions," consisting of two new bus stops, new sidewalks, and financial contributions to the affordable housing fund, Commonwealth Place, a CRD trail building project, and a bikeway.

Prices haven’t yet been set for the units, but a realtor said they estimate $1,100 per square foot on average—meaning a large two-bedroom unit would cost about a million dollars.

By Jimmy Thomson

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 December 2022 - 06:23 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#39 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,310 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 06:22 AM

Doral Forest Park is a four building (6-, 4-, 4-, and 4-storeys), 161 unit condo project (56, 38, 35 and 32 units, respectively) proposed at 4734-4754 Elk Lake Drive.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 08:07 AM

Wasn’t this approved a year and a half ago?

People have already been putting down deposits on units for a year.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users