Photo

The Museum Café / Willie's Bakery & Café

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:20 PM

I was out this afternoon wandering around parts of James Bay and downtown in preparation for the Victoria Grid Project and I happened to find myself at the RBCM. As a local I don't go there very often and I was surprised to see a kiosk on the sidewalk which appears to serve coffee and the like (What's up with the hokey wagon wheels?). The kiosk is closed for the winter but the sign says it's run my Willie's and implies that they are running The Museum Café inside the RBCM as of the 1st of November.

I took a look through the windows of The Museum Café and thought the room looked very nice. They have a large number of framed black and white BC Archive pictures hung on the walls. The theme seems to be Victoria café interiors from the past but it was a little difficult to make that out peering through the windows in the dark. I recognised the BC Archive picture of the Cameo Café Milk Bar (below).

I will have to make a point of stopping here sometime and checking it out if only to see the pictures close-up. Has anyone been there already and can verify this is Willie's Bakery & Café South?

#2 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

That the second summer the Willie's "Cafe Royale" has operated on the plaza at the museum...

I've always wondered if the take-out was a replica of Emily Carr's caravan..

I was through the lobby of the Museum today and yes, the lobby cafe' is posted with a Willie's Bakery menu..

#3 viewership

viewership
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:59 AM

Look at all those great neon signs. It's a shame they've been regulated out of existance.

#4 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

I must be having bad luck with breakfast places lately.

I ordered a fairly simple breakfast here consisting of hash browns, sausage and eggs. The sausage was great after I asked to have it reheated (it arrived completely cold on one side!) and the browns weren't very good. I couldn't place what was wrong with them, but they tasted off as though they were fried on old oil.

The table beside me returned their meals to the kitchen but I don't know what those clients ordered.

The coffee was good and the server was very kind but it was painfully obvious that there was a disconnect between the front line and kitchen staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users