Privately-funded economic development organization for Victoria

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

What does everyone think of the idea to create a privately-funded, free of government subsidies economic development office focused on downtown Victoria? The initial financiers would be developers and those companies/organizations that stand to benefit directly from an increase in demand for office and commercial space absorption. This would not be confused with the Urban Development Institute which is more of a think-tank and government lobbying organization.

Local governments hinder economic development more than they foster it (development restrictions, zoning restrictions, business license issues, social engineering, high taxation, etc.) and despite the efforts of the Victoria Economic Development Office and efforts of similar government-subsidized organizations not much has been accomplished over the last 20 years that various private industries did not accomplish on their own.

G-man has remarked in the past on how tantalizing of an offer a 10 year (if not 20!) tax holiday would be for a major tech firm willing to consider the idea of opening a satellite office in downtown Victoria. Imagine Google, eBay, Microsoft, even Amazon, operating 20-100 man teams in the downtown core. That would be an incredible boon and would attract attention from other players. Instead we have a tech park out in the woods that looks like an architectural experiment gone wrong (not to mention is losing money) and one that most of its workers absolutely loath. Meanwhile office leases are ending in the downtown core and space is going unfilled.

We have so much to offer so many industries but our strengths are going untapped. Marketing is all but limited to soundbites about quality of life, hiking trails, feeding seals and cookie cutter images of the Parliament Building and people doing yogo in a field. We can do better.

Victoria's definition to the business world should be this: One of the most livable cities in the world, Canada's island metropolis of Victoria has the infrastructure your organization needs and offers everything your employees want. Or something like that, you get the idea.

And this is what we have to offer:

- 7.2 million people reside within a short distance of Victoria with fast and convenient access to Seattle and Vancouver

- over 60 daily flights to Vancouver

- a dozen flights to Seattle

- direct flights to SFO

- thousands of well trained university and college graduates every year

- a built-up and lively downtown core

- no traffic problems

- one of the best public transit systems in North America for a city under 1 million

- slower pace of life

- easy access to outdoors

- beautiful neighbourhoods with lots of oceanfront

- mild climate

- a perfect environment in which to raise children

- comparatively more affordable real-estate (compared to Vancouver, SFO, LA, etc.)

...and on it goes.

A privately-funded econonomic development office staffed with individuals connected to a variety of industries not bound by government bickering and red tape would have the resources of private industry waiting to capitalize on accomplishments. And being profit-driven the initiative would more than likely yield tangible results in a relatively short amount of time. Private industry already pays to maintain Tourism Victoria and the DVBA and who knows how much of the business tax goes to fund "economic development" efforts. Much of this money is, unfortunately, for naught.

The City of Victoria should have been bending over backwards to make Microsoft's foray into this market as gratifying as possible. Instead our politicians high-fived each other only to realize a year later Microsoft decided to fold up the office and get out of dodge. Microsoft should have been seen as the first stage of a multi-year plan to put Victoria on the tech map but instead far too many took the move for granted and chalked it up to some valiant behind the scenes effort. Now we're back to square one and the economic development forces are all wondering what happened. Put private industry at the helm and I can virtually guarantee that opportunities won't go untapped and the potential to put Victoria on the map will be realized.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

^No traffic problems..?

Don't we have a couple of threads on this forum about this very thing?

Why do you say most of the employees loathe working at the tech park? I assume you know this for a fact. I would much prefer to work there than downtown.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

unfortunately average citizens of victoria would rather get behind some delusional go green at the expense of everything else/save the crack heads type initative than something as pragmatic and sensible as you suggest.

Edited by RFS, 10 January 2014 - 07:36 PM.

• Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

^No traffic problems..?

Don't we have a couple of threads on this forum about this very thing?

Why do you say most of the employees loathe working at the tech park? I assume you know this for a fact. I would much prefer to work there than downtown.

C'mon LJ, you're well traveled. A bad traffic day in Victoria is an average day elsewhere. It's all relative of course, but for someone from LA, SFO or Seattle we have no traffic problems.

I know a couple of guys who work out at the tech park and they hate it. They have to drive, there are no dining options other than a cafe and the environment is totally sterile. They'd love to ditch the country and work downtown (and what young tech sector employee wouldn't?). :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

This sounds like a great initiative Mike. It would be good to pull some business leaders together to discuss it. As you note the city could easily do so much more to build Victoria as a business centre. Instead we have the Mayor jetting off to Asia. How many meetings in Seattle, Portland and SFO could that trip have financed? Business property tax holidays would be a great start. If you provide jobs for 50 young people they are likely to buy a place in or close to downtown and pay residential property tax and support local businesses. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

City Hall's announcement that it wants "our say" on a changing downtown is a perfect example of government lagging behind the industry.

From what I can see this engagement process is centered around discussing on how the downtown plan, the one crafted and implemented several years ago, is actually what City Hall will be following, and that City Hall feels what private industry has been doing it should ...keep doing.

This is just one example of what the TC article referenced that makes one wonder why there is even a need to hold a public engagement session that deals with the obvious and doesn't actually propose any change:

“We are trying to encourage active commercial uses at ground level like retail and restaurants. Then we are ensuring that other types of uses that don’t need a street presence and aren’t active — like residential use for example — that those are located on the second storey and higher,” Hudson said.

Just how many developers are building groundfloor condos on downtown streets? And does City Hall fear that retail spaces intended for ...retail usage... won't actually be used as such and instead button factories and print shops will start overtaking the retail landscape? I mean c'mon :)

Know it all.

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

C'mon LJ, you're well traveled. A bad traffic day in Victoria is an average day elsewhere. It's all relative of course, but for someone from LA, SFO or Seattle we have no traffic problems.

I know a couple of guys who work out at the tech park and they hate it. They have to drive, there are no dining options other than a cafe and the environment is totally sterile. They'd love to ditch the country and work downtown (and what young tech sector employee wouldn't?). :)

Well if I worked there I would live nearby where there is more affordable housing, and there would be no traffic problems because I wouldn't be going downtown. I mostly took my lunch to work so I didn't care much about outside dining availability. But I see your point, more of a chance to mingle with others and meet people outside the workplace if you are downtown.

#8 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

For this sort of an office to make any real difference it would take a fair amount of money.   How would you convince people to fund it?   

#9 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

What other Canadian cities have this type of organization?

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

Ya I'm not sure who you would get to fund this.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

The funding would come from developers, real-estate financiers, etc. Businesses are already pumping a lot of money at government-run operations like the DVBA, Tourism Victoria and whatever other programs/departments various levels of government have running that are tasked with some form of economic development.

The Urban Development Institute is the closest privately-funded organization to this concept but as mentioned earlier the UDI is more of a localized organization that doesn't have the tentacles necessary to go out there and attract commercial tenants into office buildings, nor would its entire membership necessarily want to expend resources and energy doing that.

Other cities have private economic clubs and offices but then other cities also face other problems. In Victoria we need to get the attention of some heavy hitters and sell them on Victoria as a unique and untapped market in which to do business and live comfortably in. Currently the way we're marketed to business is hokey and plays up the wrong attributes. Nobody cares our electricity is lower than in Nebraska; nobody cares we have less snow than Thunder Bay; nobody cares Vancouver Island was voted as the best Island by some magazine, but that's what we're trying to sell tech firms on. For real? Leave the fluff for Nanaimo and take Victoria to another level. There is no reason why this city shouldn't already have several technology giants operating satellite offices in downtown Victoria. We've got the infrastructure, we've got the educational institutions, we've got the lifestyle and we've got proximity to major centres. It's all here, it's just going untapped.

Know it all.

#12 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

^Sounds like you should be working for the Chamber of Commerce, you have some good ideas and the zeal for it.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Ha! :)

When we became a member of the Chamber they refused to create a new business category for us and tried to lump us in with "Radio Media," "Televised Media," or "Print Media." When we said none of those applied they insisted that they could not create a new category and would lump us in with "Other." This in the Internet age. I trust over the last couple of years they've added an "Online Media" category (one can hope, right?).

The only impact the Chamber had on our business was to release our contact information to other businesses. And with that for the first couple of months after they released their updated business directory I couldn't go thirty minutes without some local company calling me and trying to sell me a product or service.

Know it all.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

This in the Internet age. I trust over the last couple of years they've added an "Online Media" category (one can hope, right?).

Nope.  http://www.victoriac...vertising-Media

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Good find, I hadn't thought of checking the directory. I just ran a quick search and found a somewhat suitable category.

If you're an Internet-based media company you fall under (which was created since we were members) "Online Services, Media, Marketing."

They lump social media consultants and UsedVictoria into one little heap. In 2014. Granted, very few digital or Internet-based companies even have a need to be members of the Chamber but why not create a suitable category for each business that doesn't fit into any predefined categories? Is it really that hard to create a new category and properly categorize a member paying you to represent their interests?

Know it all.

#16 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

... why not create a suitable category for each business that doesn't fit into any predefined categories? Is it really that hard to create a new category and properly categorize a member paying you to represent their interests?

I'm curious why it matters? What is the benefit of these categories? Why bother having categories at all?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#17 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Where would the tech implants from SFO buy $400 jeans and $150 flip flops to wear to work?

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

I'm curious why it matters? What is the benefit of these categories? Why bother having categories at all?

It's like picking up a phonebook and looking up plumbers. If plumbers were listed under "physical labour -other" you'd never find them or you'd waste hours looking for them.

A proper member directory is integral to promoting members and making them accessible to each other. In fact that directory, the Chamber sales pitch went, is the reason many businesses join! So when the Chamber refused to list us as anything other than print, radio or tv media we were unimpressed. A year later when it came time to renew I asked if they would be willing to add the proper heading. The answer was again no so we walked and never looked back.

Know it all.

#19 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

unfortunately average citizens of victoria would rather get behind some delusional go green at the expense of everything else/save the crack heads type initative than something as pragmatic and sensible as you suggest.

Solid way to start off the thread guys.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

Where would the tech implants from SFO buy $400 jeans and $150 flip flops to wear to work?

Before you know it they'd be wearing skinny jeans, gumboots and Haida sweaters :)

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users