Greater Victoria public schools thread

• Please log in to reply
1027 replies to this topic

#721 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,748 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 03:33 PM

How would you know if you had any interest in any of those subjects unless you had some exposure to them?

The YouTube algorithm will tell me what I like.
  • Daveyboy likes this

#722 todd

todd
  • 12,969 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 07:17 PM

But to my point, what is the point of social studies or even history in high school?

Didn’t the teacher tell you like 500 times “so history doesn’t repeat itself!”, or at least what the politicians don’t want you to repeat. School also provides the basic training in the event of a global conflict, hence the extensive physical education programs.

Last time I was babysitting the child wanted to watch fail videos, I allowed it but gave clear instructions “that is what you should NOT do”.

Edited by todd, 19 November 2023 - 07:37 PM.

#723 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:36 PM

I feel like we had an accounting class, in grade 8 maybe? Or grade 7? I think it was grade 7. Whoever taught wasn’t very good because I recall it didn’t sink in.

I had accounting as part of some finance course at UVic though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#724 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 09:42 PM

Didn’t the teacher tell you like 500 times “so history doesn’t repeat itself!”, or at least what the politicians don’t want you to repeat. School also provides the basic training in the event of a global conflict, hence the extensive physical education programs.

Last time I was babysitting the child wanted to watch fail videos, I allowed it but gave clear instructions “that is what you should NOT do”.

History constantly repeats itself. So it’s failing to that end….
  • Matt R. likes this

#725 todd

todd
  • 12,969 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 07:11 AM

History constantly repeats itself. So it’s failing to that end….

by the end of grade 12 can only skim the surface of the last 5 billion or so years

#726 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 08:37 AM

by the end of grade 12 can only skim the surface of the last 5 billion or so years

Luckily the first 4 billion, 999 million, 900+ thousand years can be covered in two or three classes.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#727 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 04:47 PM

Nanaimo teacher fired for sexting former student

Nov 28, 2023 

NANAIMO — Sexually charged messages between a Nanaimo high school educator and a former female student resulted in him losing his job and later being handed a five year teaching ban.

A consent resolution agreement with the B.C. Commissioner for Teacher Regulation, signed by Curtis Alexandro Vizza was published online Tuesday, Nov. 28 and outlined his unprofessional conduct.

The agreement stated a student, who graduated in 2019, connected with Vizza in Dec. 2020 on Snapchat and the two began exchanging messages, which became increasingly sexualized, including Vizza sending explicit photos of himself.

The agreement also outlined a pattern of behaviour of female students hanging out in Vizza’s classroom.

“Some of these students would confide in Vizza about personal matters, including health, fitness, anxiety, sex, pregnancy scares, drugs, relationships, and problems in general. Vizza provided these students with advice, although he was not a counsellor.

More: https://nanaimonewsn...former-student/

#728 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,748 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 10:02 PM

High school in Langford community centre gets First Nation name

The school in Eagle Ridge Community Centre, attended by students in athletic and arts programs, will now be known as QELEṈSEN Á, LEṈ

#729 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 11:26 PM

I’m keeping that in my back pocket for scrabble.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#730 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:25 AM

This was part of an online survey I recently completed. It seems as though the SOGI curriculum might need to be updated as new genders are clearly being discovered every day.

gender lunacy.png
From now on I am going to choose "Omnigender" because it sounds threatening.

#731 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 12:27 PM

They are missing one:

☑ GFYS

• Nparker, LJ, mbjj and 1 other like this

#732 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,748 posts

Posted 16 December 2023 - 05:52 AM

Exclusive: Response to sexual assault on school playground reveals gaps in system

The parents of a Grade 7 student who was attacked by a group of Grade 8 boys on a school playing field say the school district was woefully ill-equipped to deal with the situation.

#733 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 December 2023 - 08:27 AM

That is absolutely atrocious. What a traumatic experience for this young lady.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#734 todd

todd
  • 12,969 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 09:08 AM

In my day/around here up until about 2007 school was: k-7 and 8-12 (no middle school)

Grade 8 is probably the most inappropriate age, probably better off with the older kids

#735 Tony

Tony
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 11:31 AM

One possible unfortunate result of such a horrific article is that it may discourage other abused students and adults from reporting incidents.

Perhaps more information about how, who and what to do to report incidents with more specific information about the agencies available to provide support along with contact information. Perhaps also stories of positive results after reporting proven incidents.

#736 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,748 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 11:35 AM

To me the story has some holes.

I can't accept all it says as fact.

#737 Tony

Tony
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 12:05 PM

Unfortunately there is still a lack of awareness and training within both the education and police systems. This becomes an even greater problem with smaller units of either organization because more people have to wear multiple hats so to speak.

There seems to have been action on improving responses  from both the police and education organizations involved in the year or so since the incident  happened. The biggest challenge to seeing quicker help for the young girl and greater consequences for those involved was the 6 month gap between the event and it being reported to both police and the school. 

#738 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,748 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 12:18 PM

There seems to have been action on improving responses  from both the police and education organizations involved in the year or so since the incident  happened. The biggest challenge to seeing quicker help for the young girl and greater consequences for those involved was the 6 month gap between the event and it being reported to both police and the school. 

The girl also was less than forthright with her story and then refused cooperation too.  I'm having trouble taking the story as fact.  No other witnesses, on a school morning at a fairly busy school (Spencer), on the school grounds?

This puzzling bit:

The principal interviewed the main aggressor and cast a wide net to interview the other ­suspects, said her parents.

This, the parents said, ­unintentionally foiled any police investigation that followed.

This:

While West Shore RCMP spokesperson Nancy Saggar said there are discrepancies between the family and officer’s accounts of what was said post-interview by the officer

The eloquence of the quotes from the girl in the article.

No explanation for the "acting out" here:

Meanwhile, Jade continued to deteriorate, acting out in her new school. Her panic attacks increased and she temporarily developed an eating disorder.

It's all just not quite sitting right with me.  And I don't trust that reporter, either.  I submit that an incident occurred, I just can't find enough in the article to convince me it all played out as the article suggests.

Generally, when you take aside five 8th-grade boys separately with their parents, some/many/most break down and say what happened.  The story gives no indication if any of the boys gave any evidence at all.  Surely they did not all "lawyer up".   8th graders (usually 13 or 14 years old) can be arrested and charged.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 December 2023 - 12:39 PM.

#739 Tony

Tony
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 01:47 PM

The Impact of Trauma on Adult Sexual Assault Victims 2019

https://www.justice..../trauma_eng.pdf

A  report that covers many issues still current and historical perceptions around the reporting of sexual assault.

#740 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,748 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 01:55 PM

The Impact of Trauma on Adult Sexual Assault Victims 2019

https://www.justice..../trauma_eng.pdf

A  report that covers many issues still current and historical perceptions around the reporting of sexual assault.

How do you explain this?

Generally, when you take aside five 8th-grade boys separately with their parents, some/many/most break down and say what happened.  The story gives no indication if any of the boys gave any evidence at all.  Surely they did not all "lawyer up".   8th graders (usually 13 or 14 years old) can be arrested and charged.

Or this?

The principal interviewed the main aggressor and cast a wide net to interview the other ­suspects, said her parents.

This, the parents said, ­unintentionally foiled any police investigation that followed.

The article never gives any information about whether the police interviewed or even talked to or attempted to talk to any of the boys.  Did they?

Then this:

The new officer assigned to the case calls Jade’s mother regularly and police have asked Jade to make another statement.

To date, Jade has refused, ­saying her family has been told by others involved in her case that the exercise is more for validation than further investigation.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 December 2023 - 01:58 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users