Greater Victoria public schools thread

• Please log in to reply
896 replies to this topic

#861 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 04:25 PM

Thanks to my grade four teacher I know all the words to csny, roger miller and Jim Croce songs and more of that boomer stuff. Last hour or so one day a week was him and his guitar. Ahhh the 80’s.

Googled the school, 3.9 stars on Google reviews lol.

Edited by Matt R., 13 March 2024 - 04:53 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#862 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,071 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 01:37 PM

— The upcoming federal budget will include funding for a national school food program that will aim to provide meals to 400,000 more kids per year across the country, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Monday.

Trudeau made the announcement in Toronto with Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland and Families Minister Jenna Sudds as part of the Liberal government's ongoing pre-budget tour.

Ottawa plans to spend $1 billion over the next five years on the program.

https://www.timescol...er-year-8535675

School food programs are very inefficient and come with lots of wastage and expense.

The government should just tax us less and let us feed our own children.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2024 - 01:38 PM.

#863 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:17 PM

...The government should just tax us less and let us feed our own children.

Agreed. I shouldn't have to pay for lousy parents who can't be bothered to provide something as basic as lunch for their children.

#864 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:22 PM

Ottawa plans to spend $1 billion over the next five years on the program. 

#865 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:33 PM

So how much towards actual food for kids vs the space, equipment, and voting employees? Just stop taking so much of our hard earned money.... 

• Nparker likes this

#866 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 07:32 AM

I was at UVic over the weekend and visited the new cafe. Good to see kids eating fried foods and greasy meals as part of their meal program, just like we did 20 years ago.

I do appreciate the humour of the PM talking about how expensive life in Canada is now, as he pushes through crippling taxes, and opens the country to immigration levels so high, that even I, being very pro immigration, no longer understand.

• Matt R., dasmo and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#867 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 April 2024 - 07:48 AM

You're talking about the Cove? There's plenty of healthy options there too (I think there are more healthy food offerings than greasy actually, even the burgers are not whole beef, they use 50% vegetable protein). People generally prefer greasy meals and fried foods, so that is choice driven and has nothing to do with the offerings.

The food program is interesting. I don't know much about the value of this program, but on the face of it, it seems like a low hanging political fruit.

#868 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 11:58 AM

The kids are fed pub fare, by and large, at these cafeterias. Plant protein in a burger doesn't make it healthier, I'm afraid. It just means more processing, more preservatives, more iodine, more flavouring, and who knows what else.

Lots of kids were biting down on hashbrowns when I was there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#869 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 12:06 PM

The state should supply "totalcakes" and nothing more.

#870 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 12:41 PM

Ah longing for the days at UVic when a segment of the students nearly rioted over the prospect of Coca Cola sponsoring on-campus pop machines, and when a meeting of the Marxist-Leninist club was interrupted by a group of Young Tories and we Sub doormen had to separate them (while secretly pulling for the YT's to beat the hell out of the Marxist mob).....

Standard pub fare 40+ years ago, as opposed to what was in Felicita's Lounge which served basically nothing but salted peanuts, was a healthy dose of greasy fries dipped liberally in mayonnaise and chicken nugget-like objects theoretically made from chicken components - although I'm pretty certain it wasn't parts of the chicken you wanted to know about; and when the Youth wing of the NDP club, which campaigned mightily against South African white wines being sold in the lounge, did not like it one bit when it was pointed out to them - loudly and boisterously also by the YZT's - that Hungarian wine and spirits were also on the menu, courtesy of the Hungarian Communist Party, lol.

Now those were some fun times. They were not however for the "calorie-averse". And 'healthy eating'?? Much like the drinking laws in Quebec that was merely a suggestion, at best.....

#871 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 12:43 PM

The kids are fed pub fare, by and large, at these cafeterias. Plant protein in a burger doesn't make it healthier, I'm afraid. I just means more processing, more preservatives, more iodine, more flavouring, and who knows what else.

Unless you eat seafood, you are probably iodine deficient. :banana:

#872 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 April 2024 - 12:54 PM

The kids are fed pub fare, by and large, at these cafeterias. Plant protein in a burger doesn't make it healthier, I'm afraid. I just means more processing, more preservatives, more iodine, more flavouring, and who knows what else.

You can either be honest, or be called out. Here's the actual menu:
https://www.uvic.ca/...d/where/thecove

Edited by lanforod, 02 April 2024 - 12:55 PM.

#873 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 01:05 PM

Be called out for what?

This is literal pub fare.

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 2.05.12 PM.png

Know it all.

#874 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 01:07 PM

The 'grill.' If you ate this every day, which these kids do, you will die an early death.

Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 2.06.34 PM.png

Know it all.

#875 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 April 2024 - 01:33 PM

You n I have a very different definition of pub fare, clearly. Maybe half of whats listed there is pub fare, and you ignored the other tabs.

• Matt R. likes this

#876 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 01:39 PM

Most of it is probably opening bags and dumping the contents out. Usually into a deep fryer.  You can't have an menu that big without it being that.... 

• Matt R. likes this

#877 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 02:15 PM

You n I have a very different definition of pub fare, clearly. Maybe half of whats listed there is pub fare, and you ignored the other tabs.

True.

You think processed half-plant burgers are healthy, so I agree, that we have very different opinions on this matter.  :muching_out:

Know it all.

#878 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 April 2024 - 02:17 PM

Naw, I don't like them at all, I'll stick to 100% beef lol. I'm just saying that there are PLENTY of healthy options at the Cove. Student's choose less healthy.

#879 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 07:50 PM

The food program is interesting. I don't know much about the value of this program, but on the face of it, it seems like a low hanging political fruit.

How many more people will be hired to run this program and waste billions on bureaucracy.

Lower people's taxes so that they can feed their own kids. 

• aastra and Nparker like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#880 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,071 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 07:57 PM

It’ll end up costing $37 per day per child, and 50% of the food will be wasted.

Typical government.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users