• Please log in to reply
709 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:58 AM

Even then, it’s all just a spectacle.

This has been going on for THIRTY YEARS.

THIRTY YEARS.

And suddenly the revelations come out? Suddenly Ben Affleck and George Clooney are “shocked” and “sickened,” but only so because the public hasn’t yet heard of the full extent of their ways? Lame.

Sexual deviance and abuse IS Hollywood. The only statement society has to make is to stop walking into theatres, but I doubt that’ll happen because walking the walk is a lot harder than cheap talk and faux shock.
  • Nostalgic Victoria and Wayne like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

Criminal charges are likely only a few days or weeks away, I'd think.  NY, CA or the UK.

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Even then, it’s all just a spectacle.

This has been going on for THIRTY YEARS.

THIRTY YEARS.

And suddenly the revelations come out? Suddenly Ben Affleck and George Clooney are “shocked” and “sickened,” but only so because the public hasn’t yet heard of the full extent of their ways? Lame.

Sexual deviance and abuse IS Hollywood. The only statement society has to make is to stop walking into theatres, but I doubt that’ll happen because walking the walk is a lot harder than cheap talk and faux shock.

Exactly! The movie/TV industry holds themselves up as paragons of virtue when slagging Republicans(mostly) and Trump specifically but quietly accept the inequities and abuse that takes place in their workplace.

• spanky123 likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#24 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:44 AM

WHAT?  What about the victims friends, family and other innocent people. The more people to pile on him the better, to make sure he can't get up.

I am not saying that those who were assaulted shouldn't come forward and file complaints. What I don't see is the need for the 100th person to issue a press release.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:56 AM

I am not saying that those who were assaulted shouldn't come forward and file complaints. What I don't see is the need for the 100th person to issue a press release.

Do you have a clue what your sisters and nieces are posting on Facebook right now?
  • Greg, nagel and Kungsberg like this

#26 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:56 AM

Male doesn't see the need for another woman to come forward and say they've also been a victim.

Except now it's hit all our Facebook feeds, with our friends and family saying "me too", and it's shocking and so sad.  So prevalent and close to home.  

• Rob Randall, Greg, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#27 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:12 AM

Do you have a clue what your sisters and nieces are posting on Facebook right now?

I know exactly what they are saying. Personally I prefer due process and the basic concept that everyone is innocent until proven guilty even if they are idiots. Already there are lots of news items about people filing complaints against their bosses or managers and I am sure that many will be fired or re-assigned during the hype. Go social media.

Now I agree that 90%+ of the folks being accused are probably guilty but every once in a while there is a John Furlong or some accuser that has a promotion or other self-interest at heart. What should the new standard be for ensuring that they have a voice before the mob swarms them?

Edited by spanky123, 16 October 2017 - 09:13 AM.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

What I'm enjoying the most at this juncture is all the Democrats squirming about trying to justify why they shouldn't have to give back donations from Weinstein. Some have coughed up the dough, others are trying to stay away from shiny lights and cameras.

It's pure gold, especially the Clinton Foundation's silence on the issue in light of the hundreds of thousands they've received from the guy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

I know exactly what they are saying. Personally I prefer due process and the basic concept that everyone is innocent until proven guilty even if they are idiots. Already there are lots of news items about people filing complaints against their bosses or managers and I am sure that many will be fired or re-assigned during the hype. Go social media.

I agree.  That's why I really take issue with #webelieveher/you from the police.  No you don't believe every victim that walks in the door regardless of who they are, what gender they are, and what they say.  

What you do is take the statement thoroughly and with integrity.  Then you investigate vigorously, while accurately documenting evidence you collect.  Then you turn it over to the judicial system.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#30 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

What I'm enjoying the most at this juncture is all the Democrats squirming about trying to justify why they shouldn't have to give back donations from Weinstein. Some have coughed up the dough, others are trying to stay away from shiny lights and cameras.

It's pure gold, especially the Clinton Foundation's silence on the issue in light of the hundreds of thousands they've received from the guy.

Oh yeah, dozens of women trying to pursue their dreams were sexually harassed or assaulted by one of the most powerful men in the entertainment world over decades, but at least it's making some democrats squirm! Ha! Take that, Crooked Hillary! Pure gold!

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:05 AM

Oh, but it gets even better. Lots of the folks who took money from him knew of his reputation. But that wasn't a big enough reason to kindly reject his financial support.

Know it all.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

Presumably dozens of women pursuing their dreams also had consensual sex in the hopes of advancing their careers. I wonder if it worked for many.

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Right! Can anyon

Presumably dozens of women pursuing their dreams also had consensual sex in the hopes of advancing their careers. I wonder if it worked for many.

I doubt if anyone here can talk to that with personal experience.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

This is an interesting take, just a comment from Mark Steyn's webiste:

No due process? However odious he and his actions might be, assemble evidence, try him and convict him. That should be easy-peasy in the presence of so many accusers. Still, one is reminded of Mr. Ghomeshi's situation. People who were silent for so long are suddenly 100% credible and beyond doubt... until cross-examined formally. This, in an industry where lying well is a core competency. We tried the bloody Nazis, when bodies were still smoking in the ruins. Ah, never mind, who am I kidding? I'm sure I will be castigated for even raising the question. Burn the witch.

Is it impractical to pursue legal remedy because the whole industry is inherently sexist, misogynist and designed to exploit women? Super. Burn the whole thing down. Convict the people around him as accessories to his crimes, dismantle their companies and end the slow trickle of poison into the zeitgeist. I have no objection.

In the case of an individual facing loud accusations, a commentator of note once said the process is the punishment.

https://www.steynonl...company-is-dead

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 October 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#35 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:20 PM

I don't understand the need for so many people to pile on to Weinstein. The guy is already finished.

Weinstein's just the tip of the iceberg. Stand back and watch as the dominoes fall one-by-one in Hollyweird.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

I don't know, this is an industry that does a pretty good job of employing lawyers and creative accounting and methods to screw over lots of people downstream financially.  I'm sure they will employ the same methods that people think they will be exposing to meet a similar objective.

"Hey, actor Bob Smith, this is Big Producer X over at company Y.  I heard you are supporting actress Sally Smith in exposing Director Z.  That would be a big mistake if you want to get more jobs here.  Not telling you what to do of course, but think it through, we already hear the rumours coming from your circles."  CLICK

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 October 2017 - 06:19 AM.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:49 AM

Which is why we’re likely to “mostly” hear from actors and actresses who’ve disappeared from the spotlight. Like the lady accusing George Clooney of forcing her off ER when she objected to his advances or the lady who was featured in that nasty groping video filmed for an MTV interview with Ben Affleck.

Oh, and Bill Clinton received money from a bunch of Hollywood’ers for his legal bills when he was defending himself against Paula Jones. Weinstein was among the donors, lol.

Know it all.

#38 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

Just now, Victoria was voted best city in Canada to be a woman:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...worst-1.4358015

I bet it was our slogan, "Your daughters will hardly ever be raped!"

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:55 AM

Which is why we’re likely to “mostly” hear from actors and actresses who’ve disappeared from the spotlight. Like the lady accusing George Clooney of forcing her off ER when she objected to his advances or the lady who was featured in that nasty groping video filmed for an MTV interview with Ben Affleck.

Oh, and Bill Clinton received money from a bunch of Hollywood’ers for his legal bills when he was defending himself against Paula Jones. Weinstein was among the donors, lol.

I think you have the Clooney story wrong.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:01 AM

Which is why we’re likely to “mostly” hear from actors and actresses who’ve disappeared from the spotlight. 

It's certainly why all the women that are now saying "he's not the only one" are not naming any names yet.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users