183 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

Clearly, GM won.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:54 AM

I think it’s great. It’s called the court of public opinion. They are hitting GM where it hurts. I don’t think any red blooded blue collar Canadian union man would buy a GM after seeing that ad. In any case it’s more than Trudeau did

I think it is a hilarious advert and spits straight up truth at Canadians about GM.

I also think at the end of the day it won't matter because country of origin isn't remotely close to the top 10 criteria for 99.99% of people buying a motor vehicle. I mean, I bought a Japanese car specifically because I believe the Japanese make superior quality vehicles. 

The stupid thing was bailing out the auto industry in the first place.

Oh, and in regards to the super bowl....who dat!

#123 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,998 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:01 AM

adam levine needs to retire his shirtlessness.

#124 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:46 PM

slow down there rfs. if mexicans can make stuff cheap we should buy it. we don’t need to prop up assembly industry here. it’s a pretty low skilled trade if mexicans can do it. let’s concentrate on things we have a natural advantage at like resource extraction and higher tech. and just import the cheap stuff like mexican cars.

You may want to re-calibrate that statement.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#125 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

if unskilled mexicans can do it.

#126 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

Nope.

• Matt R. likes this

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:45 PM

Just got back from a movie at ye ol’ Cineplex. The GM ad that ran was absolutely hilarious in light of their shenanigans, but I was the only one in the theatre giggling. The irony of their “we’re GM and we’re awesome and we’re so Canada that it hurts, so buy our trucks YEAH!!” (or whatever the exact marketing schtick they used was) was completely lost on the audience ...proving nobody really cares where the things are built.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#128 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:02 PM

if unskilled mexicans can do it.

The Mexicans that built my car had mad skillz.

• Matt R. likes this

#129 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:43 PM

Where was my 2013 caravan built? Works great.

Matt.

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:51 AM

Look inside the door panel.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#131 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:50 AM

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft is being charged with misdemeanor solicitation of prostitution after police said Friday that he was twice videotaped paying for and receiving sex at an illicit massage parlor.

Police in Jupiter, Florida, told reporters Friday that the 77-year-old Kraft hasn't been arrested. A warrant will be issued and his attorneys will be notified.

The charge comes amid a widespread crackdown on sex trafficking in the area surrounding Palm Beach County. About 200 arrest warrants have been issued in recent days and more are expected. Police said they planted undercover cameras in targeted massage parlors and videotaped the interactions between men and the female employees.

http://www.espn.com/...on-prostitution

#132 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:29 PM

"Now he can add a prostitution ring to all of his Super Bowl rings."  Man, I'd really like to be able to take credit for that one!  :banana:

#133 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:37 PM

he's 77 and worth $6 billion.

you'd think he could afford a full-time girlfriend rather than have to go to a drop-in.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 February 2019 - 01:37 PM.

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:14 PM

It's a bad day for Kraft, in general.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#135 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:26 PM

Well we all knew the Pats were cheaters, we just didn't know it started at the very top.

#136 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:16 PM

It's a bad day for Kraft, in general.

Not if your name is Kelly Craft. She's Trump's pick for ambassador to Canada and I'm certain it has nothing to do with the fact she is a gold-level member of the Trump Card rewards program. 

#137 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:23 PM

^I think she is Trump's pick for the UN, she already has the Canada job.

#138 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:23 AM

does anyone at all put on a decent superbowl party anymore?

#139 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:33 PM

I dunno, how much of a "thing" is it these days to attend a truly great SB blowout? I equate it somewhat to New Years party's. Most people I/we know barely make it to midnight never mind go to the trouble to hitting up a swanky party/dinner/event. For most folks NY's is just another night, an extension of the frenetic Christmas season, by which time most people are exhausted.

The last truly epic SB house party I attended was in my university days in 1986. I think for both restrictions on smoking and especially drinking/driving have cut down on much of the perceived hoopla. Not to mention you can watch the game now in the comfort of your home, eat and drink whatever and how much you want, and do so on huge crystal clear flat screen TV's without the hub-bub of a noisy pub or house party.

A quick review of the world's Top 10 sporting events by reach of potential television viewership shows the SB doesn't come close; as of 2018 the Top 10 in terms of average global audience reach were:

1. FIFA World Cup – audience reach: 3.5-billion

2. Tour de France – audience reach: 2.6-billion

3. Olympic Games – audience reach: 2-billion

4. UEFA Champions League – audience reach: 1.7-billion

5. FIFA Confederations Cup – audience reach: 1-billion

6. Asian Games – audience reach: 986-million

7. Rugby World Cup – audience reach: 789-million

8. Giro d'Italia – audience reach: 775-million

9. Winter Olympics – audience reach: 478-million

10. Cricket World Cup – audience reach: 400-million

The most watched SB - US viewers only - was roughly 100 million pairs of eyeballs a few years back when the Eagles won the championship

#140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,998 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:37 PM

per capita we watch the superbowl more than the usa.

https://torontosun.c...b4-35c333820ef7

why this ended up in court is odd.  i'm no fan of the crtc or simsub rules but why they made this decision - just for superbowl - was a bit baffling.

For some people, waiting to see the much-hyped Super Bowl commercials is like waiting for Christmas. But on TV stations in Canada, there will be no presents from American advertisers next year.

In a 7-2 decision, the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that Canadian viewers will no longer be seeing American commercials during the Super Bowl broadcast.

The ruling has overturned a previous decision that allowed viewers to see the U.S. ads. Generally, Canada follows simultaneous substitution rules, which allow a TV station to purchase exclusive Canadian rights to a U.S. program, but sub in its own Canadian commercials, no matter which channel the viewers turn on.

https://www.ctvnews....rules-1.4736456

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 December 2019 - 01:41 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users