Photo

The More Victoria Changes, the More It Stays the Same...

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#241 todd

todd
  • 6,308 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:41 AM

Successful criminals wear suits.

hamburglar-animated.gif

Edited by todd, 19 July 2019 - 11:49 AM.

#242 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,499 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:09 PM

OK, now I'm triggered.

#243 todd

todd
  • 6,308 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:50 PM

OK, now I'm triggered.

bring me the golden burger

#244 aastra

aastra
  • 14,798 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

Those security guards at the downtown Save-on Foods will soon be unnecessary:

Police chief: Tide turning' on core woes
Times-Colonist
28 Apr 1994

Victoria police are well on their way to removing the need for private muscle to keep downtown shoppers and storekeepers safe, Police Chief Doug Richardson said Wednesday.

Richardson said enforcement on Yates Street, where merchants have hired private security guards, has been stepped up and police will soon be using a mobile police headquarters to improve response time of officers downtown. "I believe we are turning the tide on this," said Richardson.

He was responding to a Times-Colonist story that private security is being hired even though Victoria has more police per capita than any city in the province and spends almost the most per capita on police.

The story prompted more calls for "value-for-cash" in Victoria police operations from Coun. Bob Friedland.

"Somebody has got to take an independent, cold, hard, cynical look at how they are spending their money," said Friedland...

But Richardson said the police department is already regularly audited by the B.C. Police Commission.

And Richardson said the department must go before the police board and council to justify its budget. "It's a very arduous and comprehensive process,"

Victoria eyes early closing for bars
Times-Colonist
23 Feb 1994

Closing cabarets earlier and at staggered times might help police cope with the flood of people who pour on to city streets in the early hours, says Victoria's mayor. "Instead of worrying about increased costs of dealing with the problem, let's go to the source of the problem and let's see if we can do anything about that," Mayor Bob Cross said...

The city has long been concerned about problems created when bars close and people pour on to downtown streets. Police say their resources are stretched to the limit. "This has been discussed before and we have never been able to reach a good consensus on it."

Cross will ask the city's liquor licensing committee and staff to look into the matter and make recommendations prior to contacting nightclub operators. The number of licensed seats should likely be examined as well...

Victoria Police Chief Doug Richardson hammered home his point at the budget meeting with council, after working downtown at night recently. "It was almost fire-hose policing from one call to another." He witnessed "violence and destruction. It was just amazing."

Victoria Police were not happy with extended hours proposed for new Hudson Taphouse
Victoria News
February 5, 2019

The Victoria Police Department analyzed the proposal and wrote in dissent of the extended hours.

"We do not support the hours of liquor service as indicated on the application,” said Sgt. Cliff Watson in a letter to the City. “The late hours proposed would almost certainly trigger noise complains – either as a direct result of the hours of operation, or by the spillover effect and/or egress of patrons after hours."

Councillors debated back and forth on the extended hours.

"I don’t support it, I think it’s too big," said Coun. Ben Isitt. "Where we see problems with liquor consumption and social disorder and policing resources is at the bigger establishments... it’s too big for my liking."

Coun. Geoff Young motioned for the hours to be further restricted to run until 10 p.m. weekdays and 11 p.m. weekends, which was seconded by Coun. Charlayne Thornton Joe and supported by Isitt.

However, the rest of council did not agree.

"We finally have a town where there’s things to do at night, we don’t all just close up at 10 and go home," said Mayor Lisa Helps. "Ten is completely unreasonable."

Summary: in 2019 we finally have something that we already had back in 1994, at which time it was already a longstanding concern.

(Mayor Helps was obviously correct that a 10pm closing was unreasonable to the extreme, but as per the theme of this thread I'm merely observing yet again how issues get played out through endless encore performances. Suggestion: Victoria has been wrestling with the administration of its busy downtown since before the 1890s, so maybe it's finally time to start coming to terms with it? Crossing our fingers and hoping the downtown core will go away hasn't really worked, is my point.)

Edited by aastra, 10 September 2019 - 06:08 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#245 aastra

aastra
  • 14,798 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:23 PM

How many old ads for luxury condominiums do we need to see in this thread before we start to question the continuing hysteria re: the menace of luxury condominiums?

I just hope the people who bought units in this building eventually wised up to the dangers of the cruise ships. Cruise ships cause stress, hypertension, strokes, and year-over-year losses in property values. (Or at least they did, for a brief time back in 2011.)

Daily Colonist
December 7, 1974

Your New Home is Waiting For You!
View the luxury condominium residence that could change your outlook on life.

SHOREWOOD HOUSE — 562 Rithet Street. Victoria's newest address for active adult living.

$42,000 to $51,500

Twenty Luxury Condominium Residences

Victoria's SHOREWOOD HOUSE — where the beauty of the near-by parks and waterfront is at your command. Stroll to Beacon Hill Park where there is so much to experience. Walk along Dallas Road and scan the majestic Olympic Peninsula or watch the birds in Victoria's famous duck pond. Inspect the many luxury cruise ships that dock at Ogden Point every summer. Enjoy afternoon tea at the Empress or a visit to the Provincial Museum — less than a mile away. A new major community shopping centre is just two blocks away. Planning to travel? Your mind will be worry-free when you lock up your home knowing of SHOREWOOD HOUSE post-vacation chores are all but non-existant. Yes, a new way of life awaits you at SHOREWOOD HOUSE where the blend of natural beauty and everyday convenience is exceptional. Join us soon.

Shorewood_House_Ad-Daily_Colonist-Dec7-1974.png

In the 1970s these were luxury condo buildings worth boasting about, but in the intervening ~45 years they mysteriously transformed into apartments for ordinary people.

Luxury_condos_from_1970s.jpg

A similar thing happened to this luxurious 1910s apartment building. It's almost as if new buildings don't stay new. It's almost as if you need to keep on building because you can't stop the hands of time. Anyway, I digress.

Blanshard Plan Will Close Era
Stompin' At the Savoy Was High-Living in Victoria 60 Years Ago
May 29, 1973
Daily Colonist

Savoy Mansions at Blanshard and McClure, the ultimate in fashionable apartment living 60 years ago, will be demolished some time next month.

The property... has been purchased by the City of Victoria...

The building... will be torn down to make room for the realignment of Blanshard...

...Blanshard will be brought in line with Belleville. Eventually the city hopes to reroute traffic from the legislative precinct via the Belleville-Blanshard route from downtown to the city's outskirts.

Completion of this route is considered essential to the creation of downtown pedestrian malls.

Savoy Mansions were built during the Victoria landboom between 1908 and 1913... the apartment building was considered "quite the modern thing" in those days.

"Over the years, many well-to-do Victorians lived in the Savoy Mansions,"

...it was a pity the building has to give way to traffic efficiency.

"In the past few years, mostly elderly people have lived there. They just loved to be near downtown, near the Inner Harbor, near the movie theatres and transportation facilities..."

Edited by aastra, 10 September 2019 - 05:56 PM.

• Rob Randall and Kungsberg like this

#246 aastra

aastra
  • 14,798 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:06 PM

Obviously I'm making fun of silly people who think they're somehow doing future generations a favour by being eternally opposed to new residential construction. But I want to add another layer to this: note how all of those buildings promoted their convenient locations. If those Victoria and Oak Bay neighbourhoods were convenient and practical back when Victoria's population was a fraction of what it is today (in the 1970s, or even way back in the 1910s), then how much more convenient and practical are those same neighbourhoods in 2019? How convenient and practical will those same neighbourhoods be in the year 2049?

#247 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,789 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:23 AM

Great finds there Aastra! It is amazing that these arguments are so old. Of course new condos for the rich become regular condos that are rented out. I understand why the fear mongers use it but why do people listen?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#248 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:54 PM

Great finds there Aastra! It is amazing that these arguments are so old. Of course new condos for the rich become regular condos that are rented out. I understand why the fear mongers use it but why do people listen?

I, for one, am looking forward to when I can get a place at the Customs house in 30 years for dirt cheap...

It does apply in many cases, but certainly not all.

#249 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,789 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:43 AM

Well no of course not. But when we here that luxury condos are going up away from the water in just a regular neighborhood we can assume it will follow the normal pattern.

It has a whole new look!

#250 aastra

aastra
  • 14,798 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:00 AM

Maybe every generation prior to today was simply misinformed about what constituted truly timeless luxury? Maybe we've finally nailed it down, and the Customs House will be the very first example? Immune to deterioration and maintenance issues, fads and fashions, lifestyle and demographic changes, etc.

FYI: way back in the Customs House thread we were speculating re: "what about when something more exclusive gets built in front of it?"

In other words, we were already contemplating its inevitable fall from grace even as the very first hard hats were arriving on site, and even though such a concern would seem to be less relevant for this property than for almost any other.

in 2019 it's common knowledge that a luxurious downtown condo like the Customs House is going to be a sure-fire slam dunk until the end of time, that it will never be anything but the cream of the crop, that it will never command anything but top dollar. But back in 2008-09 many commentators were certain that the effort to re-invent downtown Victoria with a more residential focus had already fizzled. Even today (literally today) we have people on this very board still questioning why anyone would pay for a downtown apartment when there are houses in the suburbs.

#251 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,789 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:30 AM

It makes me think of the apartment buildings along the harbour in Esquimalt. I am sure they were denigrated for being just for the ultra rich and now they must be some of the most affordable waterfront in the city.
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

It has a whole new look!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users