Photo

The More Victoria Changes, the More It Stays the Same...

• Please log in to reply
819 replies to this topic

#681 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 12 February 2023 - 05:46 PM

We are continually playing catch up in Canada, we are always behind the need. In the US they build six lane highways that are devoid of traffic, but over time subdivisions get built and the roads get filled. Same with health care, they build new hospitals that have very few patients, overtime they become full. Ass backwards in Canada.

• Barrrister likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#682 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 February 2023 - 06:36 PM

The problem is the a lot of people have a mentality of I've got mine screw you, and why should I pay for infrastructure that doesn't benefit me personally. Coupled with the fact that municipal governments are leagaly not allowed to take on debt. So the only way infrastructure projects are funded are trough property/business tax increases or federal/provincial grants.

#683 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 12 February 2023 - 07:17 PM

The solution isn’t local government debt though.

#684 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 12 February 2023 - 07:23 PM

The solution is also not ongoing double-digit municipal property tax increases that can't be passed onto the 60% of residents who are tenants covered by overriding provincial rent control legislation, thus leaving property owners holding the bag.

• Daveyboy likes this

#685 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 12 February 2023 - 07:41 PM

It’s absurd that you even have to see a doctor for a prescription refill. That’s 1950s thinking.

We’re stuck in the medical world Stone Age in this country and don’t even realize it. Reframe the issue, and you’ll realize a doctor is not necessary to gatekeep another dose of your medication.

Is it really a problem? Is it really that bad to use a different, simpler method to get the same result?

So dramatic.

#686 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 February 2023 - 08:10 PM

Well that money has to come from somewhere be it other jurisdictions, higher taxation, money printing(inflation), or debt(which is just putting off taxation/money printing)

#687 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 05:14 AM

Is it really a problem? Is it really that bad to use a different, simpler method to get the same result?

So dramatic.

Yes, it is a problem.

You guys don’t understand how bad it actually is. It’s not a refill I’m talking about, but actual care. It’s easy to be internet smart when you’re not the one with a health issue that doesn’t get the medical attention it requires unless you jump through hoops and have some luck on your side.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 05:34 AM

Well that money has to come from somewhere be it other jurisdictions, higher taxation, money printing(inflation), or debt(which is just putting off taxation/money printing)

We are extremely wasteful with our money. Billions of dollars is squandered annually in this country on empty pursuits and pet protects, and state spending that should be private.

LJ is right. We are in perpetual reactionary mode here. Nothing is done for the future, it’s always about keeping up with the past.
  • Nparker, lanforod and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#689 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 10:42 PM

Yes, it is a problem.

You guys don’t understand how bad it actually is. It’s not a refill I’m talking about, but actual care. It’s easy to be internet smart when you’re not the one with a health issue that doesn’t get the medical attention it requires unless you jump through hoops and have some luck on your side.

I think you are jumping to some conclusions. If you need in person care, you should get it. Otherwise, telehealth is great for triage, refills, ordering tests, calling ambulances, all sorts of stuff that, unfortunately, people are clogging up ER’s and walk in clinics with.

There is need for both, and I would say they should complement each other.

#690 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 07:27 AM

I think you are jumping to some conclusions. If you need in person care, you should get it. Otherwise, telehealth is great for triage, refills, ordering tests, calling ambulances, all sorts of stuff that, unfortunately, people are clogging up ER’s and walk in clinics with.

There is need for both, and I would say they should complement each other.

How do you get in-person care when you can’t actually get it?

Maybe it’s different on Salt Spring. But here, if you need to see a doctor, you can’t just roll up to an acute care clinic. Or walk into a walk in clinic. They’ll tell you to go to the ER. I know it can sound nonsensical if you haven’t experienced it.

Know it all.

#691 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 02:10 PM

Check out this ad in the Daily Colonist from July, 1975:

Daily Colonist
July 1975

Tired of playing demolition derby?

Driving's no problem

Downtown - Thursday Nights

A demolition derby may be fun to watch but who wants to be in it? Certainly not a shopper! So keep your car in good shape longer... take it downtown Thursday nights where there are plenty of parking spaces, where the traffic is controlled and where there are covered parking garages (like Eaton's) with full size slots AND one way traffic only! We hope you'll try our covered car park because Eaton's is open 'til 9:00pm Thursday.

Daily_Colonist-July_1975.jpg

#692 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 02:24 PM

Check out this ad in the Daily Colonist from July, 1975:

You do find some fun stuff....

#693 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 04:56 PM

How do you get in-person care when you can’t actually get it?

Maybe it’s different on Salt Spring. But here, if you need to see a doctor, you can’t just roll up to an acute care clinic. Or walk into a walk in clinic. They’ll tell you to go to the ER. I know it can sound nonsensical if you haven’t experienced it.

Oh it's worse here, everything is lol.  We don't even have walk in clinics, just the ER.  If more people were able to use telehealth for appropriate things, wouldn't the burden on in person visits be lessened, leaving more options for in person care when actually needed? In theory at least.

#694 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 05:03 PM

What did SSI residents do before there was telehealth?

#695 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 06:41 PM

The term 'walk-in clinic' is another one of those falsehoods. It should be called 'Please line up tomorrow' clinic. Like the 'free beer tomorrow' signs you see at pubs.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#696 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 01:29 PM

What did SSI residents do before there was telehealth?

Clog the er even more.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#697 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 02:37 PM

Meeker was a bit off with this prediction. Some half-decent Canadian players were going to have a fair amount of impact in the NHL in the years to come:

Daily Colonist
April 27, 1973

Americans Improving Warns Puck Analyst

Howie Meeker, a former star with Toronto Maple Leafs and a now a popular analyst on the NHL telecasts, feels that Americans will soon dominate the NHL.

"The Americans are starting to change their rules of hockey now and when they do, with the system of teaching the basics of the game that they have, they will dominate the NHL before too many years have gone by,"

Meeker said he feels that Canadians no longer deserve to be No. 1 in hockey because they haven't done anything about improving the sport.

#698 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 02:38 PM

I think it's safe to say American players will never dominate pro hockey if they haven't done it by now.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#699 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 02:42 PM

I think it's safe to say American players will never dominate pro hockey if they haven't done it by now.

percent-by-nationality.png?fit=2450%2C20

#700 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 02:59 PM

I was meaning more in terms of having a lot of great pro players. In terms of representation I'd say NHL hockey has ended up being multinational in a manner similar to soccer, but obviously with fewer countries involved and still top-heavy re: Canadians, because of the nature of ice hockey.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users