BUILT
Azzurro
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1950 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Azzurro is a seven storey, mixed-use affordable rental and commercial building developed by the Greater Victor... (view full profile)
Learn more about Azzurro on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Azzurro | Rentals, commercial | 7-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#61 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

All building has environmental impact, not jus underground parking.... I'm curious about this babes honey farm story though.

#62 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

I didn't hear anything about environmental impact on Babe's Honey farm, but I believe all the dirt from Uptown was trucked there.  They were paid $50 per dump truck box to take it so you can imagine how much money was involved

#63 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

Anyway, the Azzurro is going to have parking even if it's at 50k a pop (highly unlikely) "The $17-million Azzurro will have two floors of commercial office space for lease and sale — with parking — that will underwrite the construction costs." - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.6d4yVd8Y.dpuf

#64 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:43 PM

There are all sorts of security issues to take into consideration as well that would make public parking in a residential building a little tricky, but still, I'm not sure if people who rent subsidized units don't Have or want cars. Every co-op, every low rent apartment is chock full of vehicles.

Security is not really a problem, you have gated parking for the residents and non-gated for the public.

Like turn left, open the gate, go into secure parking. Turn right, go into public parking.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#65 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:34 AM

There is no resident parking, only parking for the office space

#66 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:23 PM

Demo of the existing building has begun !

• Mike K., zoomer, Nparker and 2 others like this

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

April 15, 2015.

Azurro-April-15-2015a.jpg

Azurro-April-15-2015b.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:29 PM

A big improvement already.

Edited by Nparker, 15 April 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#69 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:01 PM

Are those Christmas trees along the ground floor supposed to be blocking the windows or are they in between the windows? Either way, they seem like an unnecessary addition to the rendering.

Seriously though, I'm not keen on residential units that don't have balconies. But I won't be living there so maybe I shouldn't care.

Also, if this building comes right to the property line on its south side then whatever eventually gets built beside it will surely do the same, and we'll have quite a wall spanning that block.

The reason they don't have balconies is to lessen costs. You'd be surprised the amount per square foot a balcony adds to the building cost of a unit. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#70 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

Especially when you have developments like the promentory selling spots for 12k? Or the Mondrian for 15k? Era 35k? Anyway, I am not talking about the VicWest dev but the downtown one.

They are not all sold for a profit, some parking stalls, once completed, are sold at an initial loss. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#71 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

I must say, for affordable housing, I find the location of this development fantastic. 

- Jane Jacobs 

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:25 PM

I must say, for affordable housing, I find the location of this development fantastic. 

Plus on sunny days when they open the retractable arena roof for sports events, you'll be able to watch them for free from your windows.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#73 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

Why do you want to mislead people like that?

At seven stories it's not nearly tall enough.

#74 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:09 PM

^True. You might get a brief glimpse from the zipline but no proposed building on the books would have a sightline directly into the arena.

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

But at least you can photobomb footage from the blimp.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#76 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

I wonder how long it'll take for the small blue building directly south of this (with the blue awning) to get redeveloped. It's being sandwiched between a group of new developments between the Azzuro, Hudson and even the Soprano's reno and property values have to be increasing...

#77 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

I wonder how long it'll take for the small blue building directly south of this (with the blue awning) to get redeveloped. It's being sandwiched between a group of new developments between the Azzuro, Hudson and even the Soprano's reno and property values have to be increasing...

Or how long those run down SFHs in that area will last.

• jonny likes this

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

The next big piece of the puzzle will be that parking lot shared by the hotel and White Spot. Hopefully the restaurant gets razed and incorporated into a new development, if it must stay at that location.

Know it all.

#79 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

The next big piece of the puzzle will be that parking lot shared by the hotel and White Spot. Hopefully the restaurant gets razed and incorporated into a new development, if it must stay at that location.

I'd rather see that ghastly 1960s hotel razed and redeveloped. The White Spot restaurant is at least a reasonably attractive building, although incorporated into a redeveloped project would be fine.

#80 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:05 AM

I'd rather see that ghastly 1960s hotel razed and redeveloped. The White Spot restaurant is at least a reasonably attractive building, although incorporated into a redeveloped project would be fine.

1961 to be exact.

The current owner obviously has no plans to raze it, after all, he's adding 10 new rooms as we speak.  But he's not a young man, so who knows.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users