Photo

Reading online Newspapers

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:49 AM

When I'm at home using my PC I use my ESC key to stop newspapers from "butting in" with their sign up now messages. When I'm not at home I use my iPad. Is there a comparable way to stop the messages on my iPad?

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:38 AM

Vice Media said Friday it is slashing more jobs as the coronavirus continues to slam ad revenue at its web operations.

The gonzo news gatherer is facing “business challenges,” chief executive Nancy Dubuc said in a Friday memo, confirming that the Brooklyn-based company is eliminating 55 positions in the US and 100 jobs internationally, primarily in the struggling digital division.

“Currently, our digital organization accounts for around 50 percent of our headcount costs, but only brings in about 21 percent of our revenue,” the memo said. “Looking at our business holistically, this imbalance needed to be addressed for the long-term health of our company.”

https://nypost.com/2...tal-operations/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 May 2020 - 09:38 AM.

#3 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:22 PM

E-editions of many newspapers (around the world) have been down for about 12 hrs. now. Seems to be those affiliated with PressReader. My (UK) Times, Globe2Go, Vancouver Sun and the T-C all pull up a "502 - Bad Gateway" error message. No kidding, the papers believe this may be Russia-related action against "Western Media".

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:23 PM

Could well be.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2022 - 12:23 PM.

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 08:03 AM

Here is an article about a Reddit thread.

https://www.saanichn...r-victoria/amp/

With a bit of background gleaned off the SPCA website.

And people worry about losing local news outlets?

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 08:16 AM

This is what your tax dollars are funding, ladies and gentlemen. This is “journalism.”

Greater Victoria Reddit users made quick work of an international student’s plea to find raccoons to photograph.

Where can I see a raccoon? RileyMcB asked, noting it’s on a list of things to do before returning home.

“I assume early night around rubbish bins but maybe there are more specific locations?” RileyMcB wrote March 1. The post quickly gained traction and decently funny responses.

And the title for this investigative piece, you may ask?

Garbage bin watch: Your guide to shooting raccoons in Greater Victoria

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 March 2022 - 12:01 PM

How many tax dollars goes to VicNews?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 12:12 PM

...Publications such as Maclean’s, select Postmedia and Black Press papers, and The Walrus received funding from the $10 million media top-up fund the Trudeau government set up to provide relief during the COVID-19 pandemic...Select Black Press publications collected money from these sources. The Lake Cowichan Gazette received $1,271 from the top-up fund, $5,000 from the emergency relief fund, and was the only recipient from Black Press to register for the CEWS...

https://www.canadala...on-top-up-fund/

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 12:19 PM

I think it was around $90,000.

All the Black Press local titles received money.

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 01:03 PM

I think it was around $90,000.

All the Black Press local titles received money.

https://www.canadala...bc-erin-otoole/

The Black list is lengthy. Here is part of it:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2022 - 01:03 PM.

#11 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 01:47 PM

https://www.canadala...bc-erin-otoole/

The Black list is lengthy. Here is part of it:

The rest:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2022 - 01:49 PM.

#12 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 04:19 AM

The tailings dam at the Mount Polley copper and gold mine, owned by Imperial Metals, failed in August 2014, releasing more than 20 cubic metres of mining wastewater into surrounding waterways in B.C.’s Interior.

https://www.timescol...r-in-bc-5156706

Nobody proof-read that? They have the actual number off by 1 MILLION times. Even if I'm a brand new 18-year-old intern on the proof-reading job, and the incident occurred when they were 10 years old, they still might just stop and think "is 20 cubic metres of a spill significant enough to be talking about it 8 years later? Maybe I should double-check that number."

If you are off by 100%, you only have half the story right. Off by 10x and that’s seriously flawed information. But this story is off by 1 million times. You only have 1 1 millionth of the story right.

Now I realize it’s somebody dropping off the “million” along the way. But it’s still ruining the story. Until presumably hours later when somebody fixes it.

A tailings dam failure at the Mount Polley Mine occurred on August 4, 2014 resulting in the loss of about 17 million cubic meters of water and 8 million cubic meters of tailings/materials into Polley Lake, Hazeltine Creek and Quesnel Lake having significant impact.

https://www2.gov.bc....dents/mt-polley

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 March 2022 - 04:32 AM.

#13 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 05:20 AM

An apartment building fire in Esquimalt overnight has left as many as four families homeless.

Fire department estimates put the losses in the blaze at over one dollar and 11 cents.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 05:08 PM

I don't know, maybe there is some explanation here.   But generally, how would people earn less than the minimum wage?

https://www.timescol...-impact-5160454

Labour Minister Harry Bains said B.C. had one of the lowest minimum wages in the country before 2017, despite being one of the most expensive places to live.

“We do not want our lowest-paid workers to fall behind. The minimum-wage increases tied to inflation are part of our plan to build an economy that works for everyone,” he said.

Last year, six per cent of British Columbians earned minimum wage or less.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 05:22 PM

...Labour Minister Harry Bains said B.C. had one of the lowest minimum wages in the country before 2017, despite being one of the most expensive places to live...

You have to wonder if the Labour Minister (or anyone in the NDP) understands that increasing the minimum wage doesn't actually make living in BC any less expensive. Raising this cost of doing business just gets passed on to the consumer.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#16 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 09:20 PM

You have to wonder if the Labour Minister (or anyone in the NDP) understands that increasing the minimum wage doesn't actually make living in BC any less expensive. Raising this cost of doing business just gets passed on to the consumer.

Anyone with any amount of familiarity with economics would understand this, but I would suggest you take the time to write a letter to the Minister and the Premier and your MLA spelling it out anyway. I’m sure they would be grateful.

Edited by Benezet, 14 March 2022 - 09:25 PM.

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 09:31 PM

...I would suggest you take the time to write a letter to the Minister and the Premier and your MLA spelling it out anyway. I’m sure they would be grateful.

I would do this, but I am not entirely sure any of them can read.

#18 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 09:51 PM

I would do this, but I am not entirely sure any of them can read.

“If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.“ — Sun Tzu, The Art of War

#19 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 11:11 PM

I don't know, maybe there is some explanation here.   But generally, how would people earn less than the minimum wage?

https://www.timescol...-impact-5160454

Labour Minister Harry Bains said B.C. had one of the lowest minimum wages in the country before 2017, despite being one of the most expensive places to live.

“We do not want our lowest-paid workers to fall behind. The minimum-wage increases tied to inflation are part of our plan to build an economy that works for everyone,” he said.

Last year, six per cent of British Columbians earned minimum wage or less.

Before June 2021 there was a lesser liquor server minimum wage. Perhaps that’s what they mean.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 March 2022 - 06:33 AM

Oh yeah, that just might be it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users