Photo

AirBnB, VRBO, vacation and executive rental news and issues in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1737 replies to this topic

#221 LJ

LJ
  • 12,768 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:43 PM

If a city forces Airbnb to collect taxes then they will, if they don't then they won't.

So they wont be collecting in Victoria then, right?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#222 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:56 PM

So they wont be collecting in Victoria then, right?

The tourism industry is pressuring the City to have Airbnb (and others) collect the same hospitality tax that hotels pay (and get commercial insurance, etc). I expect that Helps and Co will cave as the tourism folks have too much power for them.

Sounds like the CoV has asked to increase the hotel tax by 50% so extra incentive for the tourism industry to want to crack down on Airbnb as they are the recipient of the bulk of those funds.

Edited by spanky123, 30 June 2016 - 05:31 AM.

#223 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:49 PM

Vancouver investigating apartment block with 17 Airbnb units

The City of Vancouver is investigating the operation of 17 short-term rental units in a Kitsilano apartment block.

There are 17 Airbnb listings in the New York Apartments at 2341 York Ave. near Kitsilano Beach. The two-storey building has 29 units, according to its owner, and is zoned as a medium-density residential development. 

In Vancouver, all rental tenancies must be at least 30 days except in hotels and licensed bed and breakfasts, but the vast majority of Airbnb hosts violate this regulation. In online reviews, many users say they stayed at the New York for just a few days.

The building was sold last July for $3.8 million to Nevin Sangha of Carrera Management Corp. Sangha said his firm manages around 300 conventional rental units in the Lower Mainland, and stressed that the New York is the firm’s only building using Airbnb.

The reason for the Airbnb units, he said, is because his staff has struggled to rent out the New York’s SRO units using traditional methods such as Craigslist.

“They’re SROs so they’re pretty hard to rent out the way they are,” said Sangha, adding, they’re “not what the market’s looking for so the Airbnb seems to make more sense for them.”

Tenants of the New York’s sleeping rooms – SROs averaging 110 square feet – share four parking stalls and common washrooms, showers and baths. The building also has a penthouse and several one- and two-bedroom units. Units are listed at between $60 and $169 per night.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.sHmhMzyV.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#224 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

The tourism industry is pressuring the City to have Airbnb (and others) collect the same hospitality tax that hotels pay (and get commercial insurance, etc).

Why shouldn't they? Why should Uber or AirBnB or any of these schemes be exempt from taxation and regulation?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#225 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:25 AM

Times Colonist 

More than half of Vancouver Airbnb hosts use income to pay rent, mortgage: study    

The Canadian Press

JULY 7, 2016 10:22 AM

- See more at: http://www.timescolo....3OSE10gG.dpuf 

Attached Images

• airbnbvansun.jpg

#226 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:22 AM

^ Pretty funny. I think that Airbnb slects that stats that suit them when dealing with Governments. I saw something recently that stated that you could rent your Airbnb condo in SF for only 87 days a year and be further ahead then if you rented it out to a regular annual tenant.

#227 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:29 AM

^^ What does that have to do with anything?

I don't give a flying fig what people do with money they earn, that is their business. My concern is health and safety regulations, zoning and licensing issues, and fair taxation.

• VicHockeyFan and Coreyburger like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#228 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

^^ What does that have to do with anything?

I don't give a flying fig what people do with money they earn, that is their business. My concern is health and safety regulations, zoning and licensing issues, and fair taxation.

No kidding. They are free to blow the money on drugs as far as I'm concerned.   What, we are supposed to be more sympathetic because they used the money to pay their mortgage?

#229 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,359 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:05 AM

All that does is reinforce the theory that Airbnb is one of the factors propping up the housing market...

#230 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,619 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

Exactly... And add to speculation and reduction of inventory. Shelter is a necessity and the SFH is 100% out of reach to the middle class in Van. I don't want that to spread further. It's already getting there here when 800k buys you a fixer upper....

#231 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:34 AM

From the folks I talk, what is driving rates up at the moment is as much to do with low interest rates as it is anything else. A family with a combined income of $100K can qualify for up to a $700K mortgage with some lenders right now. A year ago the same buyer could have qualified for about $630K.

#232 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

http://dailyhive.com...bonus-new-hosts

Airbnb giving $250 bonus to new Vancouver hosts

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#233 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

The insane thing is that investors are quite happy to underwrite these programs as well. Anything to grab share and revenue. Uber loses more than $1B in 6 months yet investors still pour money in thanks to Governments giving money away for free.

Victoria now has over 2,000 listings on Airbnb and is still increasing 50%+ every 6 months.

#234 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:52 PM

The insane thing is that investors are quite happy to underwrite these programs as well. Anything to grab share and revenue. Uber loses more than $1B in 6 months yet investors still pour money in thanks to Governments giving money away for free.

Victoria now has over 2,000 listings on Airbnb and is still increasing 50%+ every 6 months.

Where did you get that stat?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#235 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

I'm curious too. I only see 300+ when I try to search.

#236 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

Where did you get that stat?

Since airbnb only shows 300+ you need to add filters and keep searching until you can break the sections down below 300 and then add them together.

#237 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

Since airbnb only shows 300+ you need to add filters and keep searching until you can break the sections down below 300 and then add them together.

So could we, for example, just use the price filter to find them?  So set the filter at $0-50, get the figure, then set it as $51-75, get the figure etc.?

#238 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

So could we, for example, just use the price filter to find them?  So set the filter at $0-50, get the figure, then set it as $51-75, get the figure etc.?

You could do that as well.

#239 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

You could do that as well.

So I did that, and only got 441.  Are you sure when you applied filters, you did not overlap somehow?  ie. won't a 3br search also bring up 5br rentals?

#240 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:30 PM

Filters, filters, what are the two of you smoking?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users