Photo

AirBnB, VRBO, vacation and executive rental news and issues in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1761 replies to this topic

#1741 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 10:13 PM

Did the CoV take the pot shops to court when they were operating illegally?

#1742 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,415 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 08:16 AM

Did the CoV take the pot shops to court when they were operating illegally?

They were just closed...  I guess that's easier.

#1743 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,348 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 08:24 AM

I think it was more nuanced. It was during the leadup to legalization where the Pot shops blossomed. I think most voluntarily closed down with the anticipation of being a legit biz if they followed the new regulations. More of a bribery kinda deal than a force them to shut down. 

#1744 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,415 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 08:36 AM

I think it was more nuanced. It was during the leadup to legalization where the Pot shops blossomed. I think most voluntarily closed down with the anticipation of being a legit biz if they followed the new regulations. More of a bribery kinda deal than a force them to shut down. 

I do recall a lot of ticket issued to provide a little more incentive as well...  for the more stubborn..

Edited by Ismo07, 14 June 2024 - 08:36 AM.

#1745 m3m

m3m
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 11:38 AM

Odd article. Starts off with a pic of the Hudson building. Caption says “The Fisgard building on Yates Street is seen in Victoria on Thursday”

#1746 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,731 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 07:51 AM

Good thing rental rates have gone down and vacancy went up, after we banned AirBnBs.
  • Nparker and Love the rock like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1747 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,415 posts

Posted 17 June 2024 - 10:05 AM

Good thing rental rates have gone down and vacancy went up, after we banned AirBnBs.

One of those things have to happen before the other right?  85 units available within 1 km of City Hall for avg of $2,250...  I don't know if that's up or down but seems like a healthy number..  But that's only on Craigslist..  I don't know where else people would look for rentals.

#1748 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,638 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 June 2024 - 12:00 PM

I think FB Marketplace is the go to these days. It’s also replaced Used Victoria which is a shadow of its former usefulness.
  • DavidSchell likes this

#1749 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,087 posts

Posted 17 June 2024 - 12:05 PM

The beauty of FB Marketplace is that it places significant onus on the advertiser to answer enquiries and modify, update or delete the listing when things are sold/rented.

The other platforms don’t / can’t do this. So so many listings are already sold or rented but the applicant does not know.

And FB Maketplace makes communication quick and easy for both / many parties.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 June 2024 - 12:06 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1750 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,638 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 June 2024 - 12:07 PM

Also, you’re far more likely to have the real name of the seller/buyer.
  • Nparker likes this

#1751 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,731 posts

Posted 17 June 2024 - 07:53 PM

And reviews of their prior conduct. It's a good platform.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1752 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,087 posts

Posted 29 June 2024 - 03:59 AM

The City of Victoria has put on hold a pair of building-permit applications that, if approved, would have allowed the ­conversion of residential units in two buildings into hotels.

Saying the conversion to hotels would not be consistent with proposed zoning bylaw amendments due to be before council next month, council unanimously backed a city staff recommendation to withhold the ­permits for 30 days.

The decision closes a loophole that would have allowed units that had been used for short-term rentals to continue to be rented out. The bylaw amendments will do the same thing if council adopts them in July.

Coun. Stephen Hammond was the only council member to comment on the vote, ­noting as sympathetic as he is to those who have been hurt by the changes to ­short-term rental legislation — banning short-term ­rentals in units that are not a person’s ­primary residence — closing the loophole in these cases is the correct decision.

The locations affected by the ruling are The Falls condominium at 707 Courtney St. and 708 Burdett Ave., and a mixed-use building at 529 Pandora Ave.

https://www.timescol...o-hotel-9156303

#1753 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,348 posts

Posted 29 June 2024 - 09:02 AM

And combined with hotels converting to shelters, tourism, AKA restaurants downtown, suffer another blow. The time to address this was a decade ago. The laws already existed. It’s not like it wasn’t obvious. Go back in time here and you will find me calling this out. Now a different approach is needed because it was allowed. Now nuance is needed. Instead they go too far the other way. Class action is the only way. Allowing it is strong precedent for a case. Where’s AirBnB to support?

Edited by dasmo, 02 July 2024 - 09:55 AM.

• Ismo07 likes this

#1754 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 944 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 02:53 PM

BBC considers the AirBnB debate: https://www.bbc.com/...irbnb-look-like

Article references David Eby and B.C.'s new short-term rental rules as an example of government crackdowns on AirBnB ... and notes that some of the side effects are inflated hotel prices, and reduced choice for travelling families. Excerpt:

Successful on paper or not, these bans send a signal to local people that politicians are listening to their concerns and will prioritise them over tourists.

There is an alternative to outright bans, though. Many destinations, including Berlin, restrict owner-occupiers to a 90-day maximum rental period over a year, effectively allowing part-time hosts to continue to make a supplementary income while preventing professional hosts from buying up housing stock and turning it into full-time short-term rentals.

A near-total ban is easier to administer, and will probably win the NDP some votes in October. But do we know yet if it's had an effect on tourism numbers ... and can we get them from anyone other than the hotel industry?

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 06 July 2024 - 03:02 PM.

#1755 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 05:45 PM

NDP supporters have a very skewed view of the implications of government interference.

#1756 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,731 posts

Posted 07 July 2024 - 06:04 AM

BBC considers the AirBnB debate: https://www.bbc.com/...irbnb-look-like

Article references David Eby and B.C.'s new short-term rental rules as an example of government crackdowns on AirBnB ... and notes that some of the side effects are inflated hotel prices, and reduced choice for travelling families. Excerpt:

A near-total ban is easier to administer, and will probably win the NDP some votes in October. But do we know yet if it's had an effect on tourism numbers ... and can we get them from anyone other than the hotel industry?

It would be reasonable to expect that the loss of 2,000 hotel rooms and AirBnB units in Victoria, at least, since the year 2000 has impacted our tourism industry, even though industry isn’t sounding alarms.

Just since 2020 there has been a loss of 1,000 units AirBnB, only in the city-proper.

I’m using round numbers but the true impact is staggering.

Know it all.

#1757 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 07 July 2024 - 02:13 PM

My sister-in-law wanted to visit Victoria, but isn't now. Simply can't afford it. She's going elsewhere in her home province of Alberta. 

#1758 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,582 posts

Posted 07 July 2024 - 03:57 PM

My sister planned a trip out too, but as soon as she saw hotel prices she said hell no.  We ended up hosting them here and they are doing ferry trips to the big island to visit family and friends.  No way they can do $400 a night for a hotel with three kids in tow.  Wowza.

She's from Alberta, where they are firmly middle class.

#1759 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,731 posts

Posted 07 July 2024 - 10:39 PM

I'm trying to figure out a place to stay on an upcoming trip up-Island this week.

I have to say, the AirBnB ban stinks. It's making visiting parts of our own island either prohibitively expensive, or very difficult with limited options.

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

Know it all.

#1760 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,582 posts

Posted 07 July 2024 - 10:44 PM

But hey, affordable 290sq ft condos, amirite?
  • Nparker, DavidSchell and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users