Temporary Foreign Workers in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:50 AM

Is that complete? There are only two/three displayed for Victoria.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#162 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

So my local quick stop eatery is starting to hire more local workers now that their TFW pipeline is drying up. This morning I was introduced to "Jane", a recent hire.

As everyone knows, if you have worked for a local company for more than a week and you haven't received a raise or promotion then obviously your employer is an a-hole. It is also obvious that the best way to communicate that opinion is by letting your co-workers and customers know as they will surely inform your boss who will immediately rectify the situation by giving you everything you want and promoting you to God.

The scary thing to me is that Jane is the cream of the crop, the best that my local eatery could recruit giving the thousands of local unemployed people clamouring for fast food work. Perhaps the Government feels that given employment opportunities like this, Jane's attitude and sense of entitlement will improve and thus make it unnecessary for foreign workers.

Too bad that my breakfast can't be ordered online.

Edited by spanky123, 16 May 2014 - 02:22 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#163 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Say what? Where do you dine that employees are telling you personal things relating to their boss and their employment situation?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#164 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

http://news.national...made-last-year/

Not one Canadian employer of temporary foreign workers has been inspected to date despite a Conservative government promise to do so during last year’s initial overhaul of the controversial program.

Now, with additional changes to the program to be announced Friday, questions are swirling around why Ottawa has been so slow to act on a major part of the changes announced last December.

The Canadian Press made a request under the Access to Information Act for all inspection reports of workplaces that employ temporary foreign workers. But in a letter dated June 2, Employment and Social Development Canada said none have been carried out.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

I guess they can't find the staff to carry out the inspections.

Know it all.

#166 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

perhaps they should hire some temporary workers.

#167 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:43 PM

Canada's immigration board has ordered that two foreign nationals found to be working illegally at Hillside Centre be deported from the country.

Mall patrons witnessed the employees being arrested by plain clothes officers last Tuesday inside Ness, a high-end cosmetics store.

#168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:58 PM

I think the store itself is called Forever Flawless. When I stopped by there not too long ago one saleswoman told me she was French and another was from the middle east, Israel maybe. Anyways, after one of the girls put on her sales show promoting their products I told them I wasn't about to spend $200 on some miracle cream that had no money back guarantee. In response the saleswoman became angry, enraged almost. I've never experienced anything like it. I walked out wondering if she was going to follow me out and scream at me some more.

No doubt someone experienced the same royal treatment I did and dug a little further into the hiring habits of this company. And voila. All I can say to the sales people from that place who just got the boot is "don't let the door hit you on the way out."

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#169 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

I think the store itself is called Forever Flawless. When I stopped by there not too long ago one saleswoman told me she was French and another was from the middle east, Israel maybe. Anyways, after one of the girls put on her sales show promoting their products I told them I wasn't about to spend $200 on some miracle cream that had no money back guarantee. In response the saleswoman became angry, enraged almost. I've never experienced anything like it. I walked out wondering if she was going to follow me out and scream at me some more.

No doubt someone experienced the same royal treatment I did and dug a little further into the hiring habits of this company. And voila. All I can say to the sales people from that place who just got the boot is "don't let the door hit you on the way out."

If she is from France her behaviour is par for the course. French retailers have no idea of the "customer is always right" concept. Basically, customers are an annoying inconvenience to be relieved of their money asap. And God help you if you want an exchange or refund.

#170 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:07 PM

Hmm, well that starts to make some sense then. Her behaviour was unbecoming of a salesperson. Now that I think about it some more perhaps I should have complained but given the reaction CFAX has received (head office hung up on them when they asked about the two employees) it would have no doubt fallen on deaf ears. Perhaps hiring people from places with high pressure sales tactics is their modus operandi.

Know it all.

#171 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

People get picked up for illegally working all the time in this city and this country, don't know why this one is big news.

CBSA says there are 80,000-500,000 illegals working here, but they only deport a few hundred each year.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#172 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:16 PM

How are these people getting hired without SIN numbers?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#173 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

They are not hired at the kind of businesses that have rigorous screening like that.  A bigger question might be how are they getting bank accounts (the ones not working for cash), but where there is a will, there is a way no doubt.

#174 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

I suppose you're right. 

After all, the place is selling diamond infused anti-aging cream*...  I don't think much is above board there :P

*If the location allegations are true and correct.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#175 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

And even more important how are they paying income taxes without a SIN?

#176 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

And even more important how are they paying income taxes without a SIN?

Oh, they are Greeks then?

• Nparker and Layne French like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#177 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

All the workers are from Israel.  They had a kiosk at Bay Centre for a long time, very annoying, pushy sales people.   

Reminds of the story from Halifax a few years ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...lifax-1.1087855

According to a five-page report by the U.S. ambassador to Israel, released by WikiLeaks in August, Halifax may be a single stop in a growing international scam that has sent young Israelis to Australia, New Zealand, Europe and the United States on the promise of $1,500 to $3,000 per week selling goods like skin care products in mall kiosks.

The ambassador wrote that workers are coached to lie to immigration authorities, telling them they are tourists or visiting family. Workers' passports have sometimes been held so that they cannot leave, and each worker is charged hundreds of dollars for their accommodations and forced to work long hours.

Edited by UDeMan, 13 July 2015 - 07:47 PM.

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

I first encountered groups of young Israeli women pushing skincare and personal care products at mall booths in Hamburg, Germany in 2010. By 2013, or so, I started seeing young women at local malls who dressed just like the women in Hamburg, sold the same or similar products, and had very similar physical features and accents. I recall thinking how odd it was to see an almost identical setup here.

I'm pretty sure that the girl at the store who told me she was French sounded much more Israeli than a French national, but I guess I didn't think much of it at the time. But the royal treatment she gave me, holy smokes, was that ever crazy stuff...

Know it all.

#179 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:38 PM

That's funny, the other day I was cutting through the mall and was "accosted" by some extremely pushy and slick salesmen doing the same thing.  I had similar experiences other times I was at malls.  It made me think how strange it was that it was the same looks, the same accent every time.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#180 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:51 PM

I've walked past Ness a few times and there's always been one or two "guards" standing outside the store calling out asking if I want to try their product, or something... 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users