After a seven year hiatus developer Stan Sipos of Cielo Properties, together with his son Jonathan, is back in the development realm with Customs House, arguably one of the most high profile developments in downtown Victoria in recent history.
Sipos purchased the federal buildings (one heritage, one built in the 1950's with faux heritage design elements) at Wharf and Government streets last year and plans to fully gut the inside of the structures and redevelop them into condo residences with groundfloor retail. The 1950's addition fronting Government will be fully transformed into an eight storey building, while the heritage building along Wharf at Courtney will see the addition of a floor plus a two-floor element similar to Shoal Point's top floors.
- design architect is Paul Merrick
- eight floors for the east building, 5/6 for the west building
- some 105 units are currently envisioned
- units will be in the 500 square foot range and higher
- initial pricing estimates are $500k - $2 million
- retail will envelope the ground floor
- construction is anticipated by next year with approvals by the fall
- a public hearing for a rezoning will be required
We will have renderings and more info soon.