Customs House
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 816 Government Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
The Customs House development encompasses a full restoration of the historic Customs House building at Wharf a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Customs House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Customs House | Condos; commercial | 7- & 5-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
800 replies to this topic

#61 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

The more I look at the renderings, the more I like the idea of this building changing that key corner. The rendering from across the harbour makes the architecture fit in nicely. I do think that the finishing will be critical, so I'm hoping the developer goes for high quality.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#62 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

This person must be a James Bay resident, or perhaps they live in North Park? (from yesterday's TC article http://www.timescolo...posal-1.1076089 )

ctmha

The original building should be kept and re-configured to better use, this plan is terrible and should not even get pass design panel, who would want to live there? Noise all day long from the boats, the Coho, planes, tourists, night clubs, plus the original building has history. This is another “Falls” in the making where everyone loses their money and turns out to be a crappy place to live!

Who is ctmha to question who would want to live here?

I never knew the Falls was such a failure. The people I know who live/have lived there must be totally out to lunch when they told me how much they love that building. 

ctmha

In fact I did, it will never fly, millions will be lost, but the Developer will walk away with a pocket full

Who knew property development was so lucrative that even if the project isn't successful and millions of dollars are lost that the developer will still get rich! No risk and guaranteed profits! Now that's an investment opportunity I can get behind!

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

As a North Park resident I assure you that letter is NOT from me. In fact, I responded to several of the bizarre letters on the T-C comments section. Now the NIMBYs don't want anything built ever. They truly are BANANAs*

*Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Next to Anything

#64 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

http://www.timescolo...posal-1.1076089

http://www.customshouse.ca/

here's another pic I found there

IMG_1020-copy.jpg

after seeing this I am much more enthusiastic. Especially since this rendering implies stone.

Edited by gumgum, 28 May 2014 - 12:13 PM.

• Mixed365 likes this

#65 buildinglover

buildinglover
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

While I have no issue with taking out the 50's faux heritage building, I was sad to see the proposed design.  In spite of adding much needed windows at ground level to make things more inviting in that block I think the building overall is pretty uninspired and boring for such a prominent corner.  I would have liked to see something much more iconic and bold, mixing modern with heritage in complementary contrasting design (does that make sense? It does in my head, lol).  The proposed design I see here looks like so many of the other condos that have been put up in town.  Granted, knowing Victoria counsellor's (un)appreciation for innovative and head-turning design, this is probably the only thing that could get approved.

#66 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

Welcome aboard, buildinglover!

• buildinglover likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#67 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

after seeing this I am much more enthusiastic. Especially since this rendering implies stone.

That doesn't look too bad.  Dare I say I like the building that's there now?  Dare I say I think it's one of the better looking buildings around there? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:58 AM

This week's TC article says the 50 residential units are to be rentals.  I'll change the thread title for now.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

How many are to be market condos?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

Dunno.  It's unclear if any are.

Sipos wants to demolish and replace the Canada Customs building at 816 Government and completely gut and renovate the adjoining heritage building that faces Wharf Street. He will replace them with a mixed-use project fusing residential, office space and commercial tenants.

“It will be a catalyst for change. If you think about what happens when you do this [kind of project], instead of dead stores it will be full stores and people here working, eating, shopping, living,” Sipos said.

Sipos said he’s not alone as other developers such as the Jawl family and David Chard are doing similar things. “It’s like a journey of several steps ... the city is resilient, it will recover.”

Sipos said breathing life into the two buildings, empty for years after the federal government and small retailers moved on, will be part of breathing new life into a street that has eight storefront vacancies in just five blocks.

“It’s about putting people onto the street,” Sipos said. He noted the planned 50,000 square feet of office space could translate into hundreds of workers, while the 50 units of rental housing that will command views of the Inner Harbour will add to the vitality of the area.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.mnSQyMCR.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#71 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:58 AM

I would imagine in that location, and to recoup the cost of renovating the heritage building, the rentals will be pretty steep.

#72 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

I don't know when these renderings were done but they're new to me

rendering-with-view-of-harbour-crop2.jpg

rendering1sm.jpg

rendering4sm.jpg

http://www.customsho.../image-gallery/

#73 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

Now it's shorter with a less distinctive design :(

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

True, it's been "Victoria-nized."
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 Johnathon S

Johnathon S
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hi Mike, at present we are not planning on putting in any condos, just office, appartments, and ground floor retail. However the zoning we are going for does still provide the option for residental condos if we decide it is a better idea.

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

Hi Mike, at present we are not planning on putting in any condos, just office, appartments, and ground floor retail. However the zoning we are going for does still provide the option for residental condos if we decide it is a better idea.

Thanks for chiming in Johnathon, it's great when we get direct feedback like this.

#77 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

I think this is looking pretty ok.  I'd love another Belmont Building in both density and ornamentation but this building is fine too.  The massing/height seems right stepping down from the Belmont to the existing office building on Wharf.    I know we always call for more height and density but I'm pretty satisfied with this. Now if anyone on council complains THIS iteration is too tall they can GTFO.

• gumgum and Mr Cook Street like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Jonathan!

Know it all.

#79 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

Fantastic! Looks like a good scale for this spot. More apartments is good especially well done ones!

#80 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

True, it's been "Victoria-nized."

Agreed.What happened to the detail from the earlier renderings?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users