Photo

Wharfside Eatery | Victoria | 1208 Wharf St.

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:56 AM

This blogger tries to have lunch at Wharfside, interfering with the serving staff's chat time:

http://victorialocal... ... sible.html

After no less than TWENTY minutes, we decided this was nonsense. We got up, gathered our things, and I prepared to give the hostess an earful. We walked past two other server-types having a conversation at the bar who didn't even blink at us.

How many tourists return home with similar stories, tarnishing Victoria's reputation?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:41 AM

The Wharfside has never been a restaurant that has had any purpose beyond removing money from tourists wallets. It has the potential to be real restaurant but instead ends up being the food equivalent of the Wax Museum.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

I have never been to this restaurant, mostly because of what I have heard & the Rep it has!

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:52 PM

The Wharfside has never been a restaurant that has had any purpose beyond removing money from tourists wallets. It has the potential to be real restaurant but instead ends up being the food equivalent of the Wax Museum.

You can eat at the Wax Museum?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:12 PM

Yes but I find it bland.

It has a whole new look!

#6 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

Wharfside is one of the worst restaurant in Victoria in my humble opinion. How it continues to fool so many people and their unfortunate preying on innocent tourists is rather disturbing.

#7 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:30 PM

i dunno last time i went, a dead rat fell off the support beam onto the table and we weren't even compensated.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

Compensated? Dude, that's a free entre.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

F that, I'd have the whold meal comped and the manager would be at my place washing my car once a week for a month.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#10 Carewser

Carewser
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

I'm not impressed with Wharfside either. The first time i went i had the most expensive fish and chips i'd ever eaten and they were also the worst fish and chips i'd ever eaten. The only reason i ate there again was because i had some coupon. Were it not for that, i never would have gone. That restaurant is proof of the old adage that location is everything.

#11 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

Man wait till someone from there reads this...YIKES!! Well maybe it would be a wake up call!

#12 Jeffamartin1970

Jeffamartin1970
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:05 AM

Never eaten there. Have had people tell me they like it. I mainly have not eaten there because it is so expensive.

#13 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:44 PM

Been there a couple of times...only because we had coupons/gift certificates. Being a "tourist trap", the food was O.K. and the service not bad, being off season both times. We would never have been there if we would had to pay full price.

This community has so many find establishments with better food, better service and much better value for my entertainment money.

Doc Sage

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

I generally stay away from Gov't/ Wharf restaurants.
Pescatores is an exception. It's great.
Ric's is sort-of okay too.
Earl's has gone seriously downhill since its move to Gov't.

#15 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:39 AM

Yeah, I find downtown Victoria makes fairly poor use of potentially awesome waterfront dining..
Any restaurant whose local business is totally dependent on coupon mailout programs twice a year gets a thumbs down in my books. A friend of mine used to work there as a server and was treated like crap. When she was on call, she'd have to sit in the basement until they decided whether or not they needed her on. Oh, did I mention they didn't pay her till she started serving? Of course, you make major tips once you're on the floor, so they can get away with this gross violation of labour laws.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

A T/C article says Wharfside is taking steps to prevent bankruptcy.

Meanwhile, the restaurant remains open.

The restaurant, which had been closed by a federal writ for failure to pay $316,477 in taxes -- signs were posted on the doors by Cumberland-based Comox Valley Bailiffs -- was intent on serving customers last night after Broadway Entertainment Corp. filed a notice to make a proposal to its creditors.

"It's all been resolved -- come on down for dinner tonight," said owner Duncan Morrison.

#17 Maia

Maia
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:03 PM

I ate there once and was not impressed. Never went back.

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:56 PM

A check of the T/C archive suggests unpaid bills, legal woes and mediocre food are nothing new. Business as usual.

BTW, they are not to be confused with Markus' Wharfside in Sooke which is supposed to be quite good.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:32 AM

I worked for the Morrison's and the possibility of financial trouble was always there. I'm not sure whether there is any truth to it or if it is a ruse to keep staff nervous :)

It has a whole new look!

#20 ALL_2_EASY

ALL_2_EASY
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:45 AM

I refuse to go to a spot that has a summer and winter menu, where the only difference is the price!
"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users