Photo

New Years Day levees

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 phx

phx
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:05 PM

I went to the Saanich levee, which featured refreshments and live music.

The poor people were easy to spot as they were labeled. They seemed to be enjoying the event.

#22 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

Regional mayors host 2011 City Hall levees

By Robert Randall • Published on Friday, December 31, 2010

Acting Mayor John Luton will swing open the doors of Victoria City Hall’s antechamber at 9 a.m. January 1 as the City hosts its annual New Year’s levee.

The hour-and-a-half-long event is an opportunity for citizens to meet informally with the mayor, councillors and neighbours over coffee and snacks.

more...

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

A recent strong solar storm is expected to give Canadians across the country a special New Year's Eve northern lights show.

The aurora's swirling colours may light up night skies as far south as 50 degrees geomagnetic latitude, says the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

This means that cities along the Canada-U.S. border and farther north might get a chance to see the display.

People who want to increase their chances of seeing the lights should try to get away from light pollution, look north, and hope for clear skies.

And if you miss out tonight and tomorrow, the space weather agency is predicting an even stronger storm on Jan. 2.

A possible downside to the display is that massive solar storms can disable satellites and affect radio signals.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...3384756?cmp=rss

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

Anyone go this year? I saw photos of the Victoria one. Helps, Young, Thornton-Joe and Isitt were there, Alto is on vacation apparently. No sign of the three new TV rookies I am told.

#25 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:46 PM

it’s a French and British settler thing.

#26 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

That's what I was thinking. I mean, it's not mandatory or anything but the Levee is something you're kind of expected to be at if you're on Council. Especially the newbies.

So why was Ben there? It may be a colonialist event but Ben wouldn't miss meeting his people. He'd attend the opening of a car door.

• Mike K. and rmpeers like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users