Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4581 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:20 AM

This pretty much sums it up.

According to the author, illegal pot costs about $1 a gram to make and it currently sells for an average of $6.80. If legal pot is a minimum of $11 a gram (including tax) and is of far lower quality than the illegal stuff then we are about to see a very big bubble burst.

https://www.theglobe...ceit-of-potcom/

Edited by spanky123, 22 June 2018 - 09:23 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#4582 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

I love getting high I believe I instructed you folks in a VV exclusive to buy WEED at around $12 now at $47.76 you can thank me by way of money.

I missed that one, can you give us another? 

#4583 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

Man, who are the big ballers rolling single gram joints?

Matt.

#4584 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

Man, who are the big ballers rolling single gram joints?

Matt.

Salt Spring.

• Matt R. likes this

#4585 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:26 PM

According to the author, illegal pot costs about $1 a gram to make and it currently sells for an average of $6.80. If legal pot is a minimum of $11 a gram (including tax) and is of far lower quality than the illegal stuff then we are about to see a very big bubble burst.

That article starts out with a major logical fallacy:

“The law is essentially unimportant,” he says. “That’s because the government has never had the slightest impact on either smokers or growers.”

Maybe not as a whole, but certainly as individuals it has had an impact.

The single biggest change this law will bring is that people may possess and consume marijuana without fear of arrest and a criminal record.

The supply side is something else.  Going up against a well established industry with an inferior product at higher prices is going to fail.  Some consumers will buy that product at that price simply because they don't want to be associated with criminal activity, but I think most consumers (who are already consumers, there's no glut of would-be smokers just waiting patiently for 50 years) will stay in the black market until a) the legal market improves product and lowers prices and/or b) the black market is squeezed out somehow.

The difficulty (for the government) is that possessing it and using it will not distinguish the source.  It's like filling a Smirnoff bottle with moonshine.  No one will look twice because alcohol is fine.

Previously you could hassle the user, track down the dealer, find the bigger fish, etc.  Now the user can just claim it's legit, got it at the government store.

Unless the cops are savvy - "Dude, that sh*t is way too fine to be legal."

#4586 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Maybe they can get some special reserve officers?

#4587 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

Maybe they can get some special reserve officers?

You mean Special Reserve officers.  Officers dedicated to detecting artisan bud grown in small batches for a quality experience you just can't get from Big Mary*.

* "Big Mary" meaning large-scale commercial marijuana producers.  It also works as a double entendre, e.g. suggestive of a prostitute of large stature.

#4588 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,771 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:31 PM

..."Big Mary" meaning large-scale commercial marijuana producers.  It also works as a double entendre, e.g. suggestive of a prostitute of large stature.

I thought she was a contestant on Rupaul's Drag Race.

#4589 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 June 2018 - 01:33 PM

I thought she was a contestant on Rupaul's Drag Race.

A winner no less.

• Nparker likes this

#4590 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

I hate to say it but I've actually got a friend who has tried marijuana he got a health canada prescription he has been very impressed with Emerald Health Botanicals and Tweed among others.

#4591 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:43 PM

So now that pot is legal how long before the whole medical charade is done away with?

• Matt R. and rmpeers like this

#4592 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:34 PM

Why do we assume that legal pot will be an inferior product to illegal pot? 

By knowing it's provenance and THC content shouldn't it be a superior product with much less likelyhood of contamination with other drugs and toxins?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4593 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

^!CONSERVATIVE ALERT!^

- Image removed by admin. -
  • Matt R. likes this

#4594 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,771 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

Oh great I just had a seizure.  :wacko:

#4595 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

Why do we assume that legal pot will be an inferior product to illegal pot? 

By knowing it's provenance and THC content shouldn't it be a superior product with much less likelyhood of contamination with other drugs and toxins?

Probably looking at craft beer vs big brewery product as an example.  Same alcohol content, so same thing?  No.

#4596 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:16 PM

So now that pot is legal how long before the whole medical charade is done away with?

Well heroin is illegal and the medical community maintains the charade of morphine as a painkiller, so... never?

Just because people want to use it recreationally doesn't change the nature of the substance nor the medicinal effects.

• todd likes this

#4597 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:43 PM

Probably looking at craft beer vs big brewery product as an example. Same alcohol content, so same thing? No.

Good example, except it's more like big brewery vs home brew at large scale. I suspect we will have good legal weed and mediocre legal weed just like beer. Pick your poison.

#4598 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:44 PM

Not saying anything but: https://www.tweedmai.../super-critical

#4599 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:45 PM

Firstly, it ain't legal till Oct 17. Secondly, they'll likely keep the medical pot system in place but make some changes I expect. Maybe it will become an OTC drug instead of prescription.

#4600 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:45 PM

Oh great I just had a seizure.  :wacko:

Sorry about that, here: https://www.youtube....bed/oxrKyjeClTk

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users