Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#3341 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

The city of Victoria is serving notice that the exemption period for compliance with its cannabis regulations has expired.

It says in a release that it will now be launching legal proceedings against any marijuana retailer that hasn't applied for a business license or a rezoning under rules that took effect last November.

The city says so far 33 cannabis retailers have applied for a business license and 23 have applied for rezoning.

But 16 have not yet applied for rezoning and one for a business license.

http://vancouverisla...cense-1.3329753

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3342 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

So does that mean we have roughly 49 stores?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3343 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Apparently Island Health has cracked down on the sale of all edibles at the illegal dispensaries.

#3344 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

So does that mean we have roughly 49 stores?

Seems like about 490. 

#3345 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

What does the CoV mean by "Legal Proceedings"?

Does this mean they will start a multi year letter campaign modeled like their crackdown on derelict boats?

Given the statements from council that Victorians blindly support pot legalization in all forms, and directing the Police to look the other way, I doubt their heart will be towards any format of regulation or control.

Edited by On the Level, 17 March 2017 - 12:32 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#3346 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

...Given the statements from council that Victorians blindly support pot legalization in all forms, and directing the Police to look the other way, I doubt their heart will be towards any format of regulation or control.

My guess is that the CoV government will continue to direct the police to look the other way. At this point it's Council's way of thumbing their collective nose at the PM and what they perceive as a delay in getting pot legalized for recreational consumption. In my mind that means Council remains complicit in whatever illegal activities are involved in maintaining the current dispensaries and they should be judged accordingly.

• On the Level likes this

#3347 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

Apparently Island Health has cracked down on the sale of all edibles at the illegal dispensaries.

...Island Health medical health officer Paul Hasselback says they have had problems with the concentration of dosage in edibles. “We have got problems associated with the possibility of overdoses and we have unfortunately seen some of that.”.. “Some people think it is not an issue, we have seen those overdoses, and we need to do something about it. And they aren’t being prepared in accordance with existing public health preparation of foods standards.”...

http://www.iheartrad...ibles-1.2480335

#3348 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

I believe the City will make a show of busting a few resistant pot shop operators. That will show that approved shops have their blessing but not those who don't sign on to their approach. And what ever happened to the laws of supply and demand? Surely some of the shops won't be able to sustain a profit with so many in the game.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3349 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

...what ever happened to the laws of supply and demand? Surely some of the shops won't be able to sustain a profit with so many in the game.

Not as important when your supply comes from a dubious source, you pay no taxes and your employees are paid in cash with no paper trail for the CRA to follow. It's not exactly a level playing field with legitimate businesses.

#3350 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

Island Health orders pot shops to stop selling edible cannabis products

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.Lpbgy8eU.dpuf

Now, I wonder what these places do...  ignore the order?  And if they do, what then?

#3351 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

If you look at the "Cherry Jelly" products pictured in the TC....they sure look targeted to kids to me.

#3352 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

...Now, I wonder what these places do...  ignore the order?  And if they do, what then?

They're already breaking federal laws; why should they care if they aren't in compliance with Island Health regulations? It's not like the CoV police are going to be allowed to intervene.

• Daveyboy likes this

#3353 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

I believe the City will make a show of busting a few resistant pot shop operators. That will show that approved shops have their blessing but not those who don't sign on to their approach. And what ever happened to the laws of supply and demand? Surely some of the shops won't be able to sustain a profit with so many in the game.

I really doubt that Del Manak will start taking instructions from Lisa Helps on which pot shops to bust and which ones to let stand. Del really needs to start thinking about life post Lisa Helps in 18 months and what future he might have with a police board that doesn't have either of his two supporters on it.

The City has the same recourse it has had all long which is to start giving fines to businesses that operate without a license. If those businesses don't pay the fines then the City can go to court to get an enforcement action. Having said that, the first business that they try to fine may very well apply to the court to have it squashed.

#3354 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.Lpbgy8eU.dpuf

Now, I wonder what these places do...  ignore the order?  And if they do, what then?

Well we know that Helps and the cops won't do anything as she stated to the TC today that this isn't a municipal issue and lies with Island Health to enforce.

Fines for failing to adhere to the food safety act are pretty significant and there is enough teeth to have repeat offenders put in jail. That me be enough to get the edibles off of the shelf.

• Nparker likes this

#3355 godlurking

godlurking
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

So VIHA is worried about THC levels and impurities in the edibles - ok, makes sense.  At the same time

its falling over its own feet handing out crack pipes, needles and injection kits for the users to inject

completely unknown chemicals into their bodies - with the feel good "if you nearly kill yourself we'll be

there to narcan you back" message attached.  That is just schizophrenic.  VIHA go to the corner and put the dunce hat on.

• Nparker, spanky123 and sukika like this

#3356 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

I'm guessing it might be a case of a liability issue.  They are supposed to inspect every place that sells food.  Or they know is selling food.  If they fail to do that and there is an issue...

#3357 godlurking

godlurking
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

I'm guessing it might be a case of a liability issue.  They are supposed to inspect every place that sells food.  Or they know is selling food.  If they fail to do that and there is an issue...

Sure, I get that- but this is VIHA, last two bits of acronym being "Health Authority"

promoting a wildly more dangerous way of consuming unknown substances.  I would trust my gut to sort dangerous things out over direct injection any day.  By the way lawyers out there, doesn't the act of giving out needles make them complicit in any damage that occurs to users?  I guess I should move on but the hypocrisy of attacking indigestible products irritates me.  VIHA should at least be testing for purity at its safe injection sites to make this sensible.

#3358 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

....the hypocrisy of attacking indigestible products irritates me...

It's no more hypocritical than the CoV saying they will now begin to crack down on unlicensed dispensaries while continuing to direct the police to turn a blind eye to the entire illegal business of storefront pot shops.

#3359 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 949 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

How can COV provide a legal business license to an illegal business .
What am I missing .

#3360 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:58 PM

How can COV provide a legal business license to an illegal business . What am I missing?

Helpslogic. It's not rational.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users