Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4181 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:48 PM

But in the US you would get arrested and often jailed for pot possession just a few years back. You still will in many states. Here, I do not know a sole that has been arrested for possession. So the market is already very large and developed including growers.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4182 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

But in the US you would get arrested and often jailed for pot possession just a few years back. You still will in many states. Here, I do not know a sole that has been arrested for possession. So the market is already very large and developed including growers.

Yeah, possession of small quantities has been ignored here for a long time. Not worth the officers' or the courts' time. Larger quantities (ie "with intent to distribute") would certainly get you arrested. Maybe not in Victoria though

#4183 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

But what dealer has or has ever had dozens of strains to choose from with documentation, information sheets, plus hashes, honeys, oils, tinctures, topical creams, pops, cooking oils, makeup, vaping juice, friendly staff and one hour free parking?

#4184 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

My meth dealer has all that. But ya, my pot guy is missing the parking. But he encourages me to bike, take transit, or car pool with Modo, into downtown.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 December 2017 - 06:35 PM.

• Mike K., Nparker and Mattjvd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4185 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:14 PM

It's HUGE in Seattle. Only reason to use a dealer is if you are cheap. The user experience pales and so does the selection.  People like convenience and ease and user experience. 

- Drug dealer: Call him up may or may not be available. If they are you go over to their house. Hang out for two long pretending you want to. Feel uneasy hanging out with pitbulls, neck tattoos and prostitutes. Get what you get and get out of there fast....

- Legal dispensary: Go to store, browse the huge selection of product, get advice from the many servers, buy a little of this and a little of that, feel good.

Really, take a trip to Seattle and check it out.  

I would tend to agree with you but once pot is legal I think that the "dealers" will be at your work, living next door, and at the kids soccer game. Won't be able to top that convenience.

What it will come down to is price. The G&M ran an article a few weeks back speculating that the street price of pot would drop to about $5 - $7 a gram. If the Government outlets are $10 plus taxes then that will be a pretty big difference.

#4186 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

I will admit that I am no expert of growing pot but from what I read a healthy plant can yield up to $500 grams of pot which should at least be worth $2,500.

So with it soon being legal to grow up to 4 plants on your own property, how many people are now going to apply for farm status to reduce their property taxes? Would seem to be a lot easier than maintaining chickens or growing and cutting flowers for sale.

Edited by spanky123, 12 December 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#4187 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:35 PM

You can download music for free but apple does just fine. It’s marketing, it’s packaging, it’s variety, it’s quality, it’s user experience. It’s why we don’t buy our TV’s out of the back of some guys van because it’s cheaper.... OK VHF does but most of us don’t.
This is going to be a lot of new money moving around...

Edited by dasmo, 12 December 2017 - 08:35 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and shoeflack like this

#4188 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

You can download music for free but apple does just fine. It’s marketing, it’s packaging, it’s variety, it’s quality, it’s user experience. It’s why we don’t buy our TV’s out of the back of some guys van because it’s cheaper.... OK VHF does but most of us don’t.
This is going to be a lot of new money moving around...

For the longest time Apple made it nearly impossible to get your free music onto your ipod so hardly the same thing.

#4189 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:54 PM

I
V

Edited by dasmo, 12 December 2017 - 10:09 PM.

#4190 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:39 PM

I think you know as much about downloading music as you do about buying pot spanky. ;-)

Edited by dasmo, 12 December 2017 - 10:08 PM.

• Matt R. and shoeflack like this

#4191 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:18 AM

It would seem not everyone is 100% sold on the medicinal benefits of marijuana

There is little to no research to support the supposed benefits of medical cannabis, and what evidence exists suggests that using marijuana as medicine may do more harm than good, family doctors' associations across Canada are telling their members..."I think this gives (doctors) some comfort, saying, 'Look, here's the evidence. It's actually missing in a lot of places, so I can't give it for conditions X, Y and Z,' " Allan said. He described medical pot as a high-risk product that should only be used in rare circumstances when other, safer treatment options have been exhausted...there is virtually no evidence of any effect on chronic anxiety or glaucoma, as is commonly cited by industry advocates...We would kind of be putting the cart before the horse if we started to prescribe this without the research, Allan said...

https://www.cheknews...-groups-397437/

I guess I'll stick with my medicinal Merlot for the time being.

#4192 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

The industrial medical complex can’t stop this. Who cares what they think. Opioids have really done wonders haven’t they.... big eye roll here.

#4193 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

The industrial medical complex can’t stop this. Who cares what they think. ..

You fanaticism is showing.

#4194 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

A great example as to why one should take responsibility for their own health and be open to alternatives. My wife burned herself pretty bad cooking. An oil splash on her hand. I go to the pharmacy and ask what they have. "Nothing really" was the answer. Go to the health food store and they right away had something. Healed up supper fast...

Edited by dasmo, 13 December 2017 - 01:25 PM.

#4195 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

You fanaticism is showing.

Ya... Me a real fanatic.  :banana:

Edited by dasmo, 13 December 2017 - 01:25 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#4196 LJ

LJ
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:36 PM

A great example as to why one should take responsibility for their own health and be open to alternatives. My wife burned herself pretty bad cooking. An oil splash on her hand. I go to the pharmacy and ask what they have. "Nothing really" was the answer. Go to the health food store and they right away had something. Healed up supper fast...

That must have been one bad supper.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4197 LJ

LJ
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

I would tend to agree with you but once pot is legal I think that the "dealers" will be at your work, living next door, and at the kids soccer game. Won't be able to top that convenience.

What it will come down to is price. The G&M ran an article a few weeks back speculating that the street price of pot would drop to about $5 - $7 a gram. If the Government outlets are $10 plus taxes then that will be a pretty big difference.

How much would the average consumer use in a day? 

Compared to say a bottle of wine.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4198 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

I think you know as much about downloading music as you do about buying pot spanky. ;-)

Well I know nothing about buying pot. If I can save $5K a year on my property tax by growing a plant then I will figure that out pretty quickly!

Edited by spanky123, 14 December 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#4199 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

Shadow Mountain Health and Wellness Society in Chinatown is taking another kick at getting licensed. I have to dispute some of the "facts" in their letter to the Mayor & Council

...Our patient...number exceeds four thousand...we take pride in ...complying with regulations set by...Health Canada...We are committed to working with the law and policy makers...We are close to...the Galloping Goose Trail...

https://tender.victo...201131454980050
  • If this one dispensary alone has 4000 "patients", then based on the number of pot shops in the CoV, 50% of the population of the region must have prescriptions for "medicinal" marijuana. I simply cannot believe this is true.
  • How does breaking current Health Canada regulations in regard to storefront cannabis sales make them compliant?
  • Which law and policy makers are they working with? Certainly not provincial or federal lawmakers or they wouldn't be operating a storefront dispensary at this time.
  • And lastly, which part of the Galloping Goose Trail runs close to 543 Herald Street?

I hope they are more honest with their patients than they are with the CoV.

• Daveyboy likes this

#4200 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

It's funny how lenient things have gotten. It seemed like a year ago pot shops were advertising that they had doctors available with a video call so that you could get your "prescription" quickly. Subsequently, all you needed was a note listing your ailments. Now you don't need anything, not even an explanation. You just walk in and ask for it.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users