* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4301 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

I get the sense from the release that there will be an entirely different set of private pot stores, so you could in theory have a pot shop next to a liquor store. It hasn't been said that existing private liquor stores will have first dibs per se on marijuana sales. Government has only said that the retail model will be similar to alcohol, so just that private and public retailers will both exist. Heck, the BC Government could go ahead and open a whole new storefront alongside BC Liquor Stores.

As was announced in December 2017, government is releasing details on the Province’s proposed retail framework. British Columbians of legal age will be able to purchase non-medical cannabis through privately run retail stores or government-operated retail stores and government online sales. B.C.’s Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) will operate a new standalone network of public retail stores and the Liquor Control and Licensing Branch (LCLB) will be responsible for licensing private stores and monitoring the retail sector.

Nailed it!

• Matt R. likes this

#4302 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:18 PM

...What I am not clear on so far is whether recreational and "medicinal" marijuana will be allowed to be sold in the same location.

Ahhh...here it is.

...medical cannabis will continue to be sold online by federally licensed producers only...

https://news.gov.bc....nsing_Guide.pdf

Recreational retailers will NOT be able to sell their product as "medicinal". Medical marijuana will still only be legally available online. Of course since there is really no difference, I suppose most "medical" users will simply buy the recreational product.

#4303 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

So let me ask this, how did the City of Victoria tax payer benefit by doing it Helps' way compared to waiting out the whole thing like Stew Young's way?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4304 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

So let me ask this, how did the City of Victoria tax payer benefit by doing it Helps' way compared to waiting out the whole thing like Stew Young's way?

Well, we got some business license fees.  We filled some storefronts.  And all the local regulation stuff now is done.  All the other municipalities now have to go through it, if they choose to allow shops.

• shoeflack likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4305 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:31 PM

Ok great.

With regards to licensing, what happens if a business is approved by the CoV, but it does not receive approval from the province?

And regarding licenses already paid, expenses already expensed to build licensed storefronts, what happens if the business cannot continue, but the business owner invested $x in good faith with an understanding that the CoV legitimized their enterprise?

What I'm getting as is is there potential for any legal fallout from this for taxpayers?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4306 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:33 PM

With regards to licensing, what happens if a business is approved by the CoV, but it does not receive approval from the province?

The province will shut it down.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4307 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

And regarding licenses already paid, expenses already expensed to build licensed storefronts, what happens if the business cannot continue, but the business owner invested $x in good faith with an understanding that the CoV legitimized their enterprise?

The City always said that the applicant was taking a risk, they say that all through the process.

The odd thing now, is that there is no room (next to no room?) for government stores now in the City, with our proximity bylaws.  Except James Bay and South Fairfield (?).

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 February 2018 - 03:36 PM.

#4308 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

Ok, thanks for that.

I would wager that the requirement to acquire all products via the LDB will cause quite a number of closures. These business may not fare as well if product is sold via government outlets with fixed costs and no opportunities for bulk purchases. So government-run stores will appear in due course.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#4309 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:47 PM

I suppose that’s how they can also afford to run Government stores. By controlling the wholesale supply like they do with liquor. What have the feds said about pricing?

The problem here is that the underground market is already very well established. They are going to have a major hand in the market price.

Now, I see the home harvest rules say no more than 4 plants and they must not be visible from adjacent properties. I doubt cops will try to get search warrants if they have been tipped that one home has 6 plants.

#4310 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

Ahhh...here it is.

Recreational retailers will NOT be able to sell their product as "medicinal". Medical marijuana will still only be legally available online. Of course since there is really no difference, I suppose most "medical" users will simply buy the recreational product.

I think if people have a medicinal prescription and it is covered by there pharmacare or work medical plan, they will go for the cheaper option of the medicinal product

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4311 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

I think if people have a medicinal prescription and it is covered by there pharmacare or work medical plan, they will go for the cheaper option of the medicinal product

Isn't that very rare though?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 February 2018 - 04:25 PM.

#4312 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:37 PM

As VHF suggests, I don't think many people are currently covered under extended health or PharmaCare plans for cannabis. Until such coverage is worked out it will depend a great deal on whether so-called medical users value price over convenience. My guess is that a significant number of the current users don't have legitimate prescriptions and at best went through the formality of getting assessed via a dispensary's "medical representatives" in order to purchase their product locally.

#4313 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

Ok, thanks for that.

I would wager that the requirement to acquire all products via the LDB will cause quite a number of closures. These business may not fare as well if product is sold via government outlets with fixed costs and no opportunities for bulk purchases. So government-run stores will appear in due course.

Not only that but typically the Government only sells for about 10% less than what they sell for themselves. Between Government stores and online sales the margins for retailers will be very small.

#4314 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

I suppose that’s how they can also afford to run Government stores. By controlling the wholesale supply like they do with liquor. What have the feds said about pricing?

The problem here is that the underground market is already very well established. They are going to have a major hand in the market price.

Now, I see the home harvest rules say no more than 4 plants and they must not be visible from adjacent properties. I doubt cops will try to get search warrants if they have been tipped that one home has 6 plants.

Can home growers sell privately as well?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4315 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

I wouldn't think so. If I am reading today's guidelines correctly, all salable product must come from LDB. I believe home growers can only produce for their own consumption.

#4316 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

Not officially of course.  But there will be some trade among friends.  See, the big difference now is that anybody can grow it.  So if Sue sells to Joan, who is gonna care? 

Before, there might have been some taboo when the medicinal-permit grower was selling it to others.  I think that sort of disappears with this new rule.

The other thing, it's going to be perfectly legal to possess it.  So if you get "caught" with a legal amount on you, authorities have no interest in where it came from anymore.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 February 2018 - 05:03 PM.

#4317 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:01 PM

I wouldn't think so. If I am reading today's guidelines correctly, all salable product must come from LDB. I believe home growers can only produce for their own consumption.

4 plants won't compete against anything the Government is doing but will get me the $2,500 I need for my farm tax credit!

• VicHockeyFan, Matt R. and Love the rock like this

#4318 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

I'm not even sure it says that.  That was the medicinal rule. I think you can gift some of your home-grow to a friend now.

#4319 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

4 plants won't compete against anything the Government is doing but will get me the $2,500 I need for my farm tax credit!

I realize you're joking, but if someone is looking to get a tax break be prepared to have the CRA report your "farm" to the Province and likely be fined for commercially producing a product in contravention of federal and provincial regulations.

#4320 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:09 PM

...I think you can gift some of your home-grow to a friend now.

Give/gift perhaps, but I would imagine if caught selling it to anyone you'd face some sort of penalty.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users