* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4941 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

But I think he may be breaking ant-spam laws, as one must opt in to subscription emails from websites. This is his personal website adding emails from government emails servers.

Laws? Ha!!! I somehow doubt he thinks they apply to him.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#4942 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

The honest mistake thing goes out the window when you have had your email added twice to his personal list. Especially after telling him the first time that he did not have permission.

His response, well don't email me then.

I didn't email you! I emailed the city the city of Victoria.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4943 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

Me too. He also never followed up on the thing I suggested in my email, to my knowledge.

To be fair though, suggesting he go fxxx himself was probably not going to be followed up on.

• rmpeers likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4944 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

So city hasn't responded to my email. Big surprise, I don't fit their narrative, thus my opinion is not valid.

#4945 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

What's the status of the CRTC complaint? Is there a window within which they will respond to you, or?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4946 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

They just took the complaint online... no timeline given.

#4947 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

The city responded, while totally ignoring my Ben Issit email scandal point.

"Thank you for your email, it has been shared with Mayor and Council.

Cannabis retail stores are regulated and enforced by the BC Liquor & Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB) under the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act. Enforcement of the Provincial regulations is the responsibility of the Community Safety Unit in the Ministry of the Solicitor General, and the City does not have a role in this enforcement.

The City of Victoria has regulations in place for cannabis businesses to ensure proper rezoning and business licensing approvals. The City’s regulations do not permit the sale of cannabis, as that is under the jurisdiction of the Federal and Provincial governments, rather they provide operational regulations and were created to minimize the impact these existing stores were having on residents and neighbourhoods."

I advised them in my response that local police are to enforce Federal and Provincial law, and that by ignoring those laws, got themselves into this situation.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 18 January 2019 - 01:05 PM.

#4948 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:09 PM

None of the above explains why the province needs to intervene when a business is operating without proper municipal licensing or zoning. The CoV could shut down all the pot shops operating under this scenario. They are choosing to make it a provincial matter so they don't appear to be the "bad guys" in the eyes of some of their electoral base.

Edited by Nparker, 18 January 2019 - 01:24 PM.

#4949 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

Stumbled into my dispensary yestiddy, Terp City ex-Leaf. During a brief chat the person at the desk told me they have $25K in outstanding CoV fines.

#4950 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

...During a brief chat the person at the desk told me they have $25K in outstanding CoV fines.

Might as well be $25 million, if there is no intention of paying them.  :mad:

#4951 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:41 PM

Of course they do. Most likely more than that. Weren't this the same people that had a fake GST number on the bottom of there receipts?

#4952 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

I suppose it's also the province's responsibility to collect the CoV's overdue fines?

#4953 Shelby

Shelby
  • 269 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

Stumbled into my dispensary yestiddy, Terp City ex-Leaf. During a brief chat the person at the desk told me they have $25K in outstanding CoV fines.

So are they still a dispensary or is it BYOW. I don’t do canna lounges. That whole concept is weird to me

#4954 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:53 AM

After a robust start to Government sales of pot, sales the following month have started to drop and the Government is at less than 3% of its anticipated revenue run rate for the first year.

https://www.ctvnews....tscan-1.4265662

#4955 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:55 AM

maybe if they didn't take 20 years to approve a couple shops here and there people would buy from them  :1954_dancing:

#4956 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:02 AM

maybe if they didn't take 20 years to approve a couple shops here and there people would buy from them  :1954_dancing:

Even when they are approved is anyone going to buy from them? They will be forced to sell the same product as the Government stores at a similar price. Are folks willing to pay 2x as much for less choice then they have now? Even in Provinces with retail stores that doesn't seem to be happening.

Edited by spanky123, 24 January 2019 - 08:02 AM.

#4957 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:20 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the result wasn't similar to private liquor stores. Private stores tend to offer more variety, longer hours, and order in special products that BC Liquor Stores would never carry.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4958 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:24 AM

eventtually perhaps. but right now all the supply most go through the government warehouse.  and liquor retailers are always pressed for physical space so that's why they sometimes can't carry a large range. that's less of a problem with pot.

local governments are curtailing hours don't expect much differentiation.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2019 - 08:25 AM.

#4959 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

Even when they are approved is anyone going to buy from them? They will be forced to sell the same product as the Government stores at a similar price. Are folks willing to pay 2x as much for less choice then they have now? Even in Provinces with retail stores that doesn't seem to be happening.

I don't think we've seen the "on the fence" consumers yet though. Those who maybe partake once in a blue moon who are waiting for fully legal shops to open. Those who don't want to buy online because they've had the fear of God stricken into them about traveling across the border, so maybe they want to wait for a legal shop to open up and pay cash. That's a fairly large market...people who want to consume but don't want to buy from a dealer or an illegal shop.

#4960 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:51 PM

Whether the stores are private or government-owned, they still charge twice as much as the black market. Variety of choice is novel for a spell, but why would anyone pay double? I suspect most regular users carry on as formerly.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users