Phillips Brewery and Malting Co.

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,174 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:33 PM

But you could say the exact same thing about beer companies and their advertizing of "smooth, clean beer". In the end, where do beer companies get their water anyways?

From local water supplies. The water must then be purified before it can be used in the beer making process.

But the key is the taste of the water itself which then compounds the right mixture of other ingredients.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:14 PM

Huh?

Am I the only one who doesn't see any connection here? :) What does beer have to do woth bottled water vs tap water controversy?

I was just trying to explain to those people who drink pure, filtered beer why some people would drink pure, filtered water.

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:50 PM

I saw an 800 ml bottle of unflavoured spring water selling for five dollars today in a grocery store.

To paraphrase Vincent Vega, for five dollars that better be a pretty f-ing good bottle of water.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

If its in a bottle thats designed by Phillip Stark or some other famed designer, than its going to cost an arm and a leg. I remember paying $8 american per bottle when I stayed at the W Hotel in Chicago. I thought the stuff was free, and I drank about 4 of them.

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:52 PM

^That was it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#26 NMP

NMP
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

Fits perfectly in my definition of utter nonsense. Not even speaking of just as perfect fit to an end-of-all-discussions-mantra "bad for environment".

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

Yeah, shipping a heavy glass container of water (that tastes identical to local bottled water) all the way from Norway, 6,800 kms away is not the best thing you can do for the environment.

#28 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:56 PM

I brought up Phillips a while back in other discussions. I think that his IPA is the best available. He may not want to expand his production, but I'm certain he can make a fortune licensing the formula to other brewers if he does not want to physically expand his business.

The stuff just tastes good and he's got the formula exactly correct. There is just no other way to put it. I think it's a quality that is marketable worldwide. If I could get some to Ireland or Scotland or England, I'm sure they'd love it even there. The stuff in Ireland that tastes the most like Phillips IPA is Smithwick's.

I frequently find the IPA sold out at the government stores around here and have to hunt around at private stores for it. I wonder why I even bother with the government liquor store because the price is the same generally for this item. There's a liquor store in Esquimalt next to the Country Grocer that sells it discounted if you buy during the daytime, and they always seem to have it.

It's a strong brew and perhaps an acquired taste if you are used to watery or winey lagers like Canadian, Kokanee, Labatt's, etc. But if you enjoy craft beers such as the kind offered at Swans or Spinnakers, the Phillips IPA is top of the heap and you can bring it home for $10.90 a six pack. The bottles are a full 355 ml too, not the shorted 330 ml bottles I've seen prevailing these days.

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:58 PM

Swan's liquor store always has it! In fact I just bought some :)

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

Heh, that's still way cheaper than that Voss water from Norway.

Now, how do you compare Phillips IPA with Beacon IPA from Lighthouse Brewery in Esquimalt?

And has anyone tried their stout and do they think its an affordable, acceptable alternative to Guinness?

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

I am a devout drinker of Beacon IPA but Phillips comes in a close second. I prefer the slightly more bitter bite of Beacon. Still will order either when at the pub.

It has a whole new look!

#32 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:23 PM

^Except when I ordered a Phillips IPA and the waiter gave me a lager..."we were out of the IPA...but it's the same brand" he says.

:roll:

Grrrr....

#33 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

^ That's terrible!

I like Philips but I'm a bigger fan of Beacon IPA and it's my wife's favorite as well. In fact, she won't let me have it in the house until after we have the baby because she can't drink it.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:41 PM

I think Beacon has a bit of a spice flavour to it compared to Phillips if I recall. Nice compared to the regular local pale ales.

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:30 PM

^That was a classic waiter move!

I want a corvette"

"Sorry out of corvette's I have a geo you might like, itis the same brand."

:)

It has a whole new look!

#36 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:49 AM

This is all a matter of personal preference of course, but I find the Beacon IPA to have an off-taste. That was my first local brew for some time, but I tried new products as I noticed them. The Phillips IPA tasted smoother and has a lot of flavor. I can not go back to watery beers now as my palate has been completely spoiled.

Beer can go bad and the provincial liquor stores never properly refrigerate beer as it should be, so I'm going to have to give the Beacon IPA another taste.

I have not seen the Phillips IPA on draft in restaurants. I have seen the Phillips Phoenix Lager on tap in several places. If anyone knows a place where the Phillips IPA is on tap, please post.

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:25 AM

They used to have it at Sauce but they were out of it on Sunday when I was there. Perhaps at Smith's?

It has a whole new look!

#38 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:58 PM

I like the Phillips Pheonix Gold Lager, I know lager's are nothing specaial, but they do a good job with this one. The IPA is great too, but I wish they'd try their hand at my favourite type of beer (Heffeweizen, or Whit beer).

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:37 PM

He does a rasberry wheat ale in the summer. Its pink but it is still good. Kind of like a cider.

It has a whole new look!

#40 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

Beer and fruit, I've never liked the combination, I still pull out the lemon wedges they stick in my Hefeweizen's. Why bother ruining the taste of the beer with a fruit, if I wanted to taste fruit I woulda bought a cider or a fruit wine!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users