#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

Check this out:

http://espn.go.com/n...ena-beer-prices

http://youtu.be/94-FTyjjwBA

BOISE, Idaho -- A handful of Idaho hockey fans sued a Boise arena on Tuesday, saying they were duped into thinking a $7 beer contains more brew than a $4 beer.

The lawsuit says CenturyLink Arena, home of the Idaho Steelheads hockey team, defrauded customers by charging $3 more for a tall, narrow cup advertised as a "large" that actually holds the same amount of beer as the shorter, wider cup described as a "small." The Steelheads are affiliated with the Dallas Stars.

Arena spokesman Mike Campbell said he hadn't yet seen the lawsuit and can't comment.

Four fans filed the suit Tuesday in Boise's 4th District Court against Block 22 LLC, which does business as CenturyLink Arena. Brady Peck, Michele Bonds and William and Brittany Graham are seeking $10,000 in damages.

While different shapes, both cup sizes hold substantially the same amount of liquid and are not large versus small in actual capacity. Defendants knowingly sold each of their beers in a similar manner at each event held at the arena where beer was sold for at least the last five years.

-- Attorney Wyatt Johnson,
in lawsuit against CenturyLink Arena

In the lawsuit, Peck says he's attended at least 30 events over the past three years at the arena, including a hockey game on March 5, and that he's purchased beer each time. The other three plaintiffs say they have been attending sporting events at the venue for five years and that they bought at least one large $7 beer at each event.

"While different shapes, both cup sizes hold substantially the same amount of liquid and are not large versus small in actual capacity," the group's attorney, Wyatt Johnson, wrote in the lawsuit. "Defendants knowingly sold each of their beers in a similar manner at each event held at the arena where beer was sold for at least the last five years."

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

^Bastards. Any place that sells food or beverage weighs and costs out their offerings when determining pricing so they knew damn well what they were doing. Question is: what are local venues doing?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

^Bastards. Any place that sells food or beverage weighs and costs out their offerings when determining pricing so they knew damn well what they were doing. Question is: what are local venues doing?

Ya, kinda lame to say they did not know.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

More than half of Vancouver bars aren't pouring real pints — a rip-off 

http://natpo.st/1p2J73N

#45 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

Question is: what are local venues doing?

VHF, this sounds like the sort of investigative journalism you were made to do!

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

VHF, this sounds like the sort of investigative journalism you were made to do!

Ha ha, yes.  But seriously, do we ask how many ounces of fries we are getting?  How long the hot dog bun is?  Or what's in a "large" pop?  Why is it that alcohol has to be measured so precisely? 

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

Spinnakers:

We’re excited to announce that, with the new liquor laws taking effect in June 2014, Spinnakers can now offer “Hoppy Hour” specials! Here’s what’s in store for you on weekdays between the happy hours of 3pm and 6pm.

Half off ALL APPETIZERS!

• $1.50 House Made Bread
  • $6 1/2 Dozen Outlandish Oysters
  • $7.75 Brewhouse Tasting Plate
  • $6.75 West Coast Fish Plate
  • $8.25 Moules Frite
  • $8.75 Mussels Mariniere
  • $9.50 Mussel Cioppino
  • $7.50 Pulled Pork Nachos
  • $7.75 Wilbury Farm’s Hazelnut Pate
  • $6 Springcrest Farm’s Chicken wings
  • $2.75 Kennebec Fries
  • $5.25 Natural Pastures Poutine

Drink Specials

• $5 pints of Cask Conditioned Beer
  • $3 glasses of Kolsch Style Ale
  • $15 jugs of Spinnakers Beer
  • $5 glasses of BC wine

Availability

• Monday-Friday
  • 3pm-6pm

Happy hoppy hour, Victoria! We’re looking forward to serving you soon.

• vicernie likes this

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Ha ha, yes.  But seriously, do we ask how many ounces of fries we are getting?  How long the hot dog bun is?  Or what's in a "large" pop?  Why is it that alcohol has to be measured so precisely? 

Because it's overly expensive I suppose. If you're charging $7.50 for a "pint" but it's 16oz and not the 20oz that it ought to be then you're ripping off your customers. I know I know, most bars will say "well we're only charging you blah blah for the size of the glass," but as VHF says, the profit margins on beer are darned good if you know what you're doing, and even better so if you're able to fool your customers into believing they're paying for something that should be a specific volume.

What's worse is most waitresses and bartenders will give you a weird look when you ask them how big their pints are. "I dunno, 17 or 18 ounces?" In the case of Earl's "pint" glass, which are very heavy and look quite bulky, they're actually 17oz if filled nearly to the brim.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 scoughman

scoughman
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

Just wanted to mention I wrote a little piece on happy hour in Victoria last month and where you could find craft beer for the minimum prices. Missed a few spots since not everyone had announced a menu yet, and it was before they scaled back minimums on pitchers I think but it might still be a fun read: http://eatmagazine.c...ew-liquor-laws/

• Holden West likes this

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Cactus Club is now offering $4 happy hour discounts for their in-house lager, and a couple of other drinks (I think a Bellini maybe? and something else).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

Cactus Club is now offering $4 happy hour discounts for their in-house lager, and a couple of other drinks (I think a Bellini maybe? and something else).

I swear, that's what has made Brown's so popular for the last 12 months, they do their house beer - and a wine - every day for $4.

• jonny likes this

#52 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

I swear, that's what has made Brown's so popular for the last 12 months, they do their house beer - and a wine - every day for $4.

Absolutely.

Brown's little deal has passed on through word of mouth like wildfire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users