Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#2441 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

After watching the debate tonight, it's clear there were only six, maybe seven candidates present who should be taken seriously.

Bernier
Saxton
Scheer
O'Toole
Chong
Raitt and
Maybe Blaney
  • John M. likes this

#2442 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:58 PM

Snore. O'Leary is the only candidate making waves.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2443 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

arlene dickinson said o'leary tends to cut & run when the pressure's on. i think we saw that yesterday.

#2444 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

Snore. O'Leary is the only candidate making waves.

Well, boring politics is probably the key reason Canada is a top 10 country in the world in nearly every subjective measurement. Exciting politics is usually a bad thing.

arlene dickinson said o'leary tends to cut & run when the pressure's on. i think we saw that yesterday.

Well, she absolutely despises O'Leary so it's hard to take her commentary seriously.

#2445 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

^ why would she say she'd go for drinks with him if that were true?

Edited by amor de cosmos, 01 March 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#2446 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

^ why would she say she'd go for drinks with him if that were true?

I don't know how much they like each other. I follow Arlene on twitter and she seems to hate Kevin. Maybe they're best buds. Dunno.

#2447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

Just got tipped off that Prime Minister Trudeau will be at CFB ESQUIMALT tomorrow where he'll be participating in the monthly fleet run, which is part of serving member's exercise and fitness routine. I'm not sure what else is on the itinerary, and what the purpose behind the visit is, but I'm sure other media will have more details soon.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2448 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

Just got tipped off that Prime Minister Trudeau will be at CFB ESQUIMALT tomorrow where he'll be participating in the monthly fleet run, which is part of serving member's exercise and fitness routine. I'm not sure what else is on the itinerary, and what the purpose behind the visit is, but I'm sure other media will have more details soon.

Itinerary for Thursday, March 2, 2017

Itinerary for the Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, for Thursday, March 2, 2017:

Esquimalt, British Columbia

9:30 a.m. The Prime Minister and the Minister of National Defence, Harjit Sajjan, will go for a run with members of the Canadian Forces.

Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Esquimalt

Note for media:

• Pooled photo opportunity only

10:45 a.m. The Prime Minister and Minister Sajjan will tour CFB Esquimalt.

CFB Esquimalt

Note for media:

11:45 a.m. The Prime Minister and Minister Sajjan will meet with members of the Canadian Forces at CFB Esquimalt.

CFB Esquimalt

Note for media:

12:30 p.m. The Prime Minister will hold a media availability.

Dockyard, CFB Esquimalt

Notes for media:

• Open coverage
  • Media should arrive no later than 11:45 a.m.

Victoria, British Columbia

1:20 p.m. The Prime Minister will meet with the Mayor of Victoria, Lisa Helps.

Mayor’s Office
1 Centennial Square
Victoria, British Columbia

Notes for media:

• Photo opportunity only
  • Media should arrive no later than 1:00 p.m.

Note: all times local

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2449 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

Sounds like he'll be doing a ride along with Vancouver PD to check out the opioid crisis hands on while he's out here.

I wonder if Lisa will want to show him that side of Victoria too while he's in town.

#2450 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

^ I think the PM is saving the opioid crisis for his Vancouver visit.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2451 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Just got tipped off that Prime Minister Trudeau will be at CFB ESQUIMALT tomorrow where he'll be participating in the monthly fleet run, which is part of serving member's exercise and fitness routine. 

Perhaps a little jog up the E&N Trail where he will announce some funding to get the train tracks upgraded.   :thumbsup:

#2452 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

Perhaps a little jog around all the pot shops to see how well his legalization and regulation is going.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2453 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

With a claim that Justin Trudeau has no idea what he’s doing as prime minister, one of the men vying for the Conservative leadership outlined to London’s business community why he should be the one at the helm of the country.

Kevin O’Leary delivered the frank address to a crowd of roughly 400 people at the London Convention Centre over the lunch hour Tuesday.

http://blackburnnews...-words-trudeau/

#2454 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

No other candidate in the field can get 400 people out to a mid-week lunch.  This guy is the real deal.  He might not win the election, but I could also say Bernier or Chong might not either.

#2455 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

2-man race? Maxime Bernier says Conservative leadership race is down to himself and Kevin O’Leary

#2456 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

Bernier and O'Leary the frontrunners, Scheer, O'Toole and Leitch the second tier.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-mar9-1.4013601

#2457 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

When I decided to enter the Conservative Leadership Race I made a pledge to always put integrity before politics, and to stand up for what is right, even if it is politically the more difficult thing to do. Today, unfortunately, I must shed the light of transparency on something I have discovered within our own Party. 

It has been brought to my campaign's attention that there are backroom organizers who are committing wide-spread vote rigging and potentially breaking our electoral and financing laws to try to buy a Leadership victory.

In an attempt to protect against this kind of fraud, the Party has strict leadership rules in place requiring all memberships to be purchased by individuals using either personal cheques or personal credit cards. However, we have been informed that to get around these rules, campaign activists are using untraceable prepaid credit cards to sign up fake members, possibly without these individuals even knowing about it. Beyond the legalities of this, it is completely immoral, and extremely unfair to the tens of thousands of real Party members that will have the impact of their votes weakened.

Now, I am not a career politician and perhaps this type of thing is a part of typical political games, but regardless of how wide spread the issue is, it is unacceptable.

I have been clear from the beginning about my goal to attract new conservatives to the Party.  I have been extremely successful at doing this, and I have been playing by the rules. 

Yet now I hear of backroom organizers signing up people who may not even be aware they are becoming members, who might not believe in our conservative voice and who will not become volunteers in 2019 when we need to come together and defeat Justin Trudeau. Not only does this constitute fraud, but it also poses a great risk to the future of the Conservative Party of Canada and to our collective voice. 

I believe it is my duty as a Leadership candidate to bring this to the public's attention.

My team has raised this issue directly with officials within the Conservative Party and I have been told the Party has launched an investigation.  That is a start, but one thing the Party must do now is state categorically that it will not accept any memberships that have been purchased with a prepaid credit card, and that any already submitted will be removed from the membership list, and will not be sent a ballot.  Such a step will ensure the integrity of the Party membership and help prevent nefarious groups from trying to buy the Leadership.

I have said it before, Conservative members are looking for a Leader who will fight for them, and is not afraid to tell them how it is. My campaign works diligently at being open and transparent in our goal of leading this proud Party. I expect the Party and my colleagues to do what is right and do everything that they can to stop this voter fraud immediately.  By exposing this deception now and shining the light of transparency on the membership, we will know the final results are built on the undisputed pillar of integrity.

That's from O'Leary.

• Matt R. likes this

#2458 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:23 AM

on the one hand i can believe that the party would rig the process in some way to keep an outsider out, we saw the democrats to that with bernie sanders & i think labour has done similar things to corbyn in the uk. right now though o'leary seems to just have stories or rumours & knowing he's really just a showman who looks to make headlines i'll wait for someone else to report on this. (which would be wrong if it's true)

#2459 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:40 AM

Well, it's being reported that its Bernier's campaign:

O’Leary did not name Bernier’s campaign specifically. But his organizers brought a complaint to the attention of Conservative party officials, who launched an investigation of membership rolls.

Conservative party spokesman Cory Hann told HuffPost on Friday that questionable memberships were “submitted anonymously” through the party’s website and not by any one campaign.

The alleged scheme involves Tamil field co-ordinators in the Toronto-area submitting large lists of names taken from the membership list of the Ontario Progressive Conservative party, likely without their knowledge, and using pre-paid credit cards to sign them up for federal Tory party membership.

http://www.huffingto...n_15416572.html

And it's alleged that it's a particular ethnic community that's doing it.

Maxime Bernier, a top contender in the Conservative leadership race, has won over the support of some diaspora groups that were key to Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown’s landslide leadership win in 2015.

Babu Nagalingam and Sri Vallipuranathar are leading the charge within the Tamil and Sri Lankan communities, while Manjeet Gill, the brother of former MP Parm Gill, is leveraging the support of the Sikh community in his capacity as national outreach director.

https://www.hilltime...rship-win/97956

#2460 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ation-1.4030828

Conservative Party strikes 1,351 names off membership list after investigation
Move comes a day after leadership candidate Kevin O'Leary alleged 'widespread vote rigging'

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users