Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#2861 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:28 PM

Cant believe in todays world, abortion is a political topic.

It's not, in Canada. Only the media brings these things up and try to get a war of words going.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2862 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:31 PM

It is opposition to gay marriage, and anti abortion.  You are way off on equality for women though.  For the record I'm not a social conservative perse

I'm a life long conservative but I don't oppose gay marriage or abortion, but I don't need either thrust in my face.

Re equality for women - if companies can pay women less for doing the same work as a man, why would they hire men?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2863 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:20 AM

Edited by nagel, 21 September 2018 - 10:21 AM.

#2864 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:30 AM

I have a serious issue with an MP/MLA suddenly switching parties.  I vote for the federal party and rarely pay attention to the persons name other than maybe seeing them on campaign signs

I am firm believer if an MP/MLA doesn't want to be a member of that party then he/she needs to quit and there needs be a full by election with the former MP/MLA up for election with their new party

• johnk likes this

#2865 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,073 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:36 AM

that's pretty unnecessary.  if it's so crazy important (as the seat count is so close and there is a delicate minority) then an election might / would take care of itself.  if the seat count is not close everyone can wait until the next election.

#2866 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:19 PM

With the sad spectical which nows amounts to US politics playing out down south, who thinks that a year from now we will be dealing with the same with our own federal elections? 

#2867 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:34 PM

I will be keeping a VERY close eye on the PPC as we approach next years federal election.

#2868 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

Conservatives no longer persue "Make a law against abortion". 

Bullshit. "Conservatives" are still making laws to outlaw abortions as much possible and to limit access to abortions.

Doug Ford in Ontario, for example, is going to change the laws to make it harder, while at the same time gutting the sex-ed curriculum in the schools. That's the "Conservative" approach in a nutshell: increase the likelihood of unwanted pregnancy while making more legal restrictions on abortion.

• Hotel Mike and johnk like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#2869 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:59 AM

25% of pregnancies in Canada end in abortion. At the same time, our natural birth rate is below replacement levels. Anyone who is capable of looking at this from a macro, 'survival of our civilization' kind of level can see there's a problem
  • Mystic-Pizza likes this

#2870 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:42 AM

Another topic: the always entertaining Maxime Bernier.
He's pushing elimination of supply management in the dairy sector. Quebec is home to roughly 2/3 of the dairy farms in Canada. Dairy farmers benefit from supply management.
Lead balloon? Bullet meet foot?

#2871 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:28 AM

25% of pregnancies in Canada end in abortion. At the same time, our natural birth rate is below replacement levels. Anyone who is capable of looking at this from a macro, 'survival of our civilization' kind of level can see there's a problem

Good thing this country embraces immigration.

#2872 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:40 AM

Good thing this country embraces immigration.

Attached Images

• Brainslug.jpg

#2873 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

Japan has a similar (if not lower) birthrate to us and abortion is basically only legal if the mother would die giving birth so I don't think you can blame abortion on how low birth rate.

#2874 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:47 PM

Bullshit. "Conservatives" are still making laws to outlaw abortions as much possible and to limit access to abortions.

Doug Ford in Ontario, for example, is going to change the laws to make it harder, while at the same time gutting the sex-ed curriculum in the schools. That's the "Conservative" approach in a nutshell: increase the likelihood of unwanted pregnancy while making more legal restrictions on abortion.

This is a Federal Election board, not "Provincial'  and I was referring to the Federal Conservative Party Of Canada.  There is no affiliation between the CPC and the Conservative Party Of Ontario. They are separate entities. The CPC does not persue those issues.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 24 September 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#2875 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:11 PM

that's pretty unnecessary.  if it's so crazy important (as the seat count is so close and there is a delicate minority) then an election might / would take care of itself.  if the seat count is not close everyone can wait until the next election.

Maybe you haven't seen it, but generally speaking the governing party always favors their party MLA's/MP's areas.  Just look at the island highway construction 20 years ago -  Victoria got little, while Nanaimo north, NDP heartland got a freeway.

#2876 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:12 PM

ok and look at the new provincial NDP law where provincial contracts are union only!  Bullshit as you say

• rjag likes this

#2877 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

Japan has a similar (if not lower) birthrate to us and abortion is basically only legal if the mother would die giving birth so I don't think you can blame abortion on how low birth rate.

Different cultures, though. Japanese society is still prude, workaholic and reserved with young people being increasingly withdrawn from even trying to procreate. It's unlikely legalizing abortion would have much of an impact on birth rates. On the other hand, our society is very open, accepting of casual sex and fine with finding work-life balance. If abortion wasn't an option, people would still hit the sheets, pop babies and support those without the means.

...probably.

#2878 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:55 AM

Looking at the macro level we see that Canada has always been a nation of immigrants so the "solution" is obvious.

The option you (a "social conservative") appear to be supporting is to force women to have babies. You moan about being forced to pay for public services but are apparently fine with forcing women to become birthing slaves? 

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#2879 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:23 AM

Looking at the macro level we see that Canada has always been a nation of immigrants so the "solution" is obvious.

The option you (a "social conservative") appear to be supporting is to force women to have babies. You moan about being forced to pay for public services but are apparently fine with forcing women to become birthing slaves? 

No, Canada has always been a nation of settlers from it's founding European colonial powers.  Implying that modern day mass immigration is basically the same thing is totally dishonest.  Not to mention the other problems with that kind of immigration such as harmful brain drain on the source countries.

Secondly, I am not a social conservative, at least in the way you think that term means.  I don't moan about being forced to pay for public services as a rule.  I would be all for grants and incentives to women for having babies.  Honestly, give them 10 grand a baby.  More even.  Give them a free house when they have a certain number of babies.  It would be worth it

#2880 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:30 AM

I personally think I already pay enough for other people's babies thank you very much.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users