Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#5421 LJ

LJ
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:03 PM

Trudeau is Catholic, do you not think he is pro life personally?

Remember when Harper's scary religion was going to radically change Canada?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5422 LJ

LJ
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:06 PM

The real issue is drugs/gangs and mental health.  Legal, law abiding gun owners are not the problem.  This ban will do nothing to stop crime and violence.

No it certainly won't. All the illegal guns come through the  Akwesasne reserve totally unchecked.

Oh, and the Indians can continue to hunt whatever they want with their assault weapons, they are exempt from the new restrictions.

#5423 LJ

LJ
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:07 PM

They’d be grandfathered in. You don’t want to have the gun you bought used in a criminal act, and prior to the act you had not reported it stolen.

They are grandfathered for two years, you have that amount of time to destroy or sell your gun back to the government.

#5424 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:09 PM

Trudeau is Catholic, do you not think he is pro life personally?

Remember when Harper's scary religion was going to radically change Canada?

That’s what I mean. The media handles religion differently for conservatives and liberals.
  • LJ, Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5425 LJ

LJ
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:09 PM

Fast becoming my pick as well. Hmm. Maybe I'll need to renew my membership

I renewed mine just so I could vote for her, also sent a few bucks her way. O'Toole would be my second choice, I sent him a few bucks as well.

#5426 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:11 PM

They’d be grandfathered in. You don’t want to have the gun you bought used in a criminal act, and prior to the act you had not reported it stolen.

Nope in two years you can no longer possess anything in the banned list. The time to sell on the black market is now!

#5427 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:12 PM

They are grandfathered for two years, you have that amount of time to destroy or sell your gun back to the government.

You can get way more from crooks and no one will know. This will put tons of guns on the street way cheaper than ever before.

Edited by tanker, 02 May 2020 - 09:14 PM.

#5428 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:20 PM

I dunno, the banned guns are actually pretty tame. Crooks can get much badder guns far more easily on the black market.

We already have strict firearms regulations, and in the grand scheme of things not much has actually changed other than getting some scary looking guns banned but equally as powerful (and far, far more powerful) firearms remain unrestricted. So I dunno, it’s a bit of a wash.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5429 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:46 PM

I dunno, the banned guns are actually pretty tame. Crooks can get much badder guns far more easily on the black market.

We already have strict firearms regulations, and in the grand scheme of things not much has actually changed other than getting some scary looking guns banned but equally as powerful (and far, far more powerful) firearms remain unrestricted. So I dunno, it’s a bit of a wash.

It’s death by a thousand cuts. This is just another step in a series. Every little ban we just shrug off gets us further and further down the rabbit hole. And actually Canada’s gun laws are relatively not that bad. I mean not exactly USA tier freedom but also better than the Uk/New Zealand/Australia. The goal is to get us in line with those countries. I am quite positive the eventual goal is total semi auto ban

#5430 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:50 AM

Yes, I would agree we’re heading towards that direction, or at least some politicians want us to adopt no semi-autos.

At what point does a firearm no longer function adequately in the vast Canadian wilderness? There really ought to be special licenses for people who hunt or spend time in the bush for sidearms.

I know, far easier said than done, but even with a loaded hunting rifle the chance of hitting a charging bear or bull elk with a single round is pretty slim if it’s sudden and unexpected, and unless you’ve got a fully loaded semi auto you’re in trouble.

So for that reason alone I think we might stave off a full semi-auto ban, at least for a while.

Quite honestly the restricted and banned list prior to this month made zero sense on a lot of fronts. Lots of guns were banned that just looked bad but were less effective at acting like true assault rifles (a term which is quite meaningless in Canada to begin with) than plenty of other firearms. Now at least there’s a sliver of more thought being applied but it’s still just for optics.

Know it all.

#5431 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:30 AM

There is also the blatantly racist fact that natives are exempt from the new ban. They are allowed to use the banned firearms to hunt. Which is ridiculous because the entire rationale is that these guns are unreasonable for hunting
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5432 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:43 AM

True, which is an absolute farce.

Know it all.

#5433 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:04 AM

For a person who believes, a Canadian, is a Canadian, is a Canadian - having race based laws is a contradiction.  I think this is where the Liberals have lost me - the unequal application and enforcement of laws.  

• LJ and A Girl is No one like this

#5434 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:04 PM

ax1oQV2_460s.jpg

The man said that he has always admired a dictatorship. Wonder where he got that from?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#5435 Kyjen

Kyjen
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:29 PM

I'm really tired of the appearing to do something while not actually doing anything but making things worse at the federal level.  So tired in fact this morning I did something I never thought I would do - I bought a membership in a political party for the pure purpose of voting for a new leader..........

I’m doing three things I never thought I do!

One, I've never written to express my opinion to a municipal, provincial or federal politician. I'm writing a letter to the Prime Minister

Two, going into an election at any level, I pride myself - as always being an undecided voter. In the last three decades between provincial and federal elections I’ve voted at least once for each party … except for the Greens and I’m including the Reform party and the old PC with the majority of my federal ones going to the Liberals. Never again will I be voting Liberal federally.

Three, In discussions with people I always try to avoid topics/discussions/debates or expressing my own opinions on abortions, religion, politics and global warming… politics is now off that list for me when comes to the Liberals

No, I don’t own any of the newly ban guns or was I ever intending too.

• Mike K., RFS and A Girl is No one like this

#5436 LJ

LJ
  • 12,759 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:37 PM

Yes, I would agree we’re heading towards that direction, or at least some politicians want us to adopt no semi-autos.

At what point does a firearm no longer function adequately in the vast Canadian wilderness? There really ought to be special licenses for people who hunt or spend time in the bush for sidearms.

I know, far easier said than done, but even with a loaded hunting rifle the chance of hitting a charging bear or bull elk with a single round is pretty slim if it’s sudden and unexpected, and unless you’ve got a fully loaded semi auto you’re in trouble.

So for that reason alone I think we might stave off a full semi-auto ban, at least for a while.

Quite honestly the restricted and banned list prior to this month made zero sense on a lot of fronts. Lots of guns were banned that just looked bad but were less effective at acting like true assault rifles (a term which is quite meaningless in Canada to begin with) than plenty of other firearms. Now at least there’s a sliver of more thought being applied but it’s still just for optics.

All sidearms are semi-auto but if you are a hunter in grizzly country you carry a bear gun, a sawed off shotgun with slugs. The AR15 could legally only hold 5 shots the same as my 30-30 but my 30-30 is going to do a lot more damage in not much more time than the AR15. 

#5437 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:08 PM

There is also the blatantly racist fact that natives are exempt from the new ban. They are allowed to use the banned firearms to hunt. Which is ridiculous because the entire rationale is that these guns are unreasonable for hunting

Pretty tough to block rail lines and highways unarmed.

#5438 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:09 AM

All sidearms are semi-auto but if you are a hunter in grizzly country you carry a bear gun, a sawed off shotgun with slugs. The AR15 could legally only hold 5 shots the same as my 30-30 but my 30-30 is going to do a lot more damage in not much more time than the AR15.

Yes, that’s right. As I said the ban is a bit of a wash.

Know it all.

#5439 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:07 AM

All the CPC has to do is come out with a strategy that says, the Liberals think banning some guns and having carbon taxes will be effective in reducing gun violence and changing the weather.  We believe we need to do things that work to address gun violence and climate change.  To address gun violence we need to get guns out of the hands of criminals by enforcing our existing gun laws and enhancing border control to prevent guns from illegally entering our country.  Gun ownership and use is a serious responsibility, much like owning and operating a motor vehicle - and we respect that.  To address climate change we must support and pursue the energy sources that result in the least amount of environmental damage while providing reliable energy.  We need to reduce our dependence on foreign sources of oil while enabling our domestic energy producers to meet exceptionally high environmental standards.  We need to support research and development into enhancing the efficiency of existing energy resources while developing alternatives that provide reliable, cost-effective and environmentally responsible energy.

The conservatives have to position themselves as this: The Liberal Party of Canada is like Homeopathy, proven expensive and ineffective at addressing the problems Canadians face - Canadians deserve evidence based policy that works, Canadians need to choose today's Conservative Party.   

• LJ likes this

#5440 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:24 AM

And just to add to that point, it’s not so much the firepower that’s my point when it comes to wildlife, it’s more so convenience. Hauling a shotgun is impractical in a lot of circumstances but a sidearm on your belt or under your shoulder is easy to work with.

We really ought to have a special license for hunters and woodsmen/women.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users