5846 replies to this topic

#4101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:50 AM

From UVic:

Financial scandals rankle Canadian voters most

Sex scandals absorb voters in the United States and United Kingdom, but new research by University of Victoria political historian Penny Bryden shows that nothing gets under Canadians’ skin more than misspent taxpayers’ dollars.

Ahead of the federal election, Bryden has catalogued more than 1,000 scandals in Canada in the years since 1867 involving everything from the purchase of a $16 glass of orange juice to the sale of an amusement park owned by a provincial premier.

Bryden uncovers new scandals all the time—recent ones, but also historical scandals that left little trace in the public record—and she has found that, although sex scandals often generate significant attention in other countries such as the US and UK, Canadians are most upset when governments poorly handle taxpayers’ money.

“In Canada, we get outraged about misspent money more than anything else,” says Bryden. “Money is rarely far from the centre of a Canadian political scandal.”

The first major political scandal after Confederation took place in 1873 and resulted in the downfall of Sir John A. Macdonald and his Conservative government. More recently, a sponsorship scandal contributed to the downfall of the federal Liberals in 2006.

Bryden says Canadians were angry that federal money was being spent in Quebec as a way to shore up support for national unity. The Harper government that came into power as a result had its own scandals, Bryden adds, including one memorably focused on the cost of one glass of juice that then-minister Bev Oda charged to her expense account.

But what constitutes a political scandal in the first place? Bryden has organized her list into six categories—financial, crisis, loyalty, sex, security and entitlement—and has also determined that scandals have three components: a transgressive act; the attempted coverup; and, importantly, traction with the public.

The latter criterion means Bryden isn’t convinced the SNC-Lavalin affair, which resulted in the high-profile cabinet resignations and then expulsion of Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott from the Liberal party, qualifies as a scandal.

“At present, I’m less certain about whether people care. But political parties can be hurt by things that aren’t scandals,” Bryden adds. Her current list exceeds 1,000 scandals and counting, with Bryden already halfway through an exhaustive five-year humanities research project funded through the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.

A database of her research will be made available so researchers in other fields can continue to identify and analyze Canadian political scandals. Bryden will also publish a book next year called Dirty Money, Secret Sex, which promises to shed light on broader Canadian political culture.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4102 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:55 AM

From UVic:

Financial scandals rankle Canadian voters most

I think we are sensitive to this because of relatively high taxation.  To see that money wasted is far more aggravating than who's doing who.  

• Mike K. and exc911ence like this

#4103 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,032 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:34 AM

running in Victoria

* ANIMAL PROTECTION PARTY OF CANADA — Jordan Reichert, animal advocate, activist, and vegan community organizer

#4104 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

Green party just stuck a sign in front of my place ... didn't notice until after they left, so just threw it in the garbage.

Just lost my vote. 

#4105 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

There's Conservative signs for two different people at Mackenzie/Gordon Head. I didn't catch the names but one said "re-elect" which is weird since Richmond seems to be the closest Conservative seat to here.

#4106 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

Green party just stuck a sign in front of my place ... didn't notice until after they left, so just threw it in the garbage.

Just lost my vote. 

"In front of my place" on your property, or on public property?

Big difference.  If it's on your property they trespassed to put it there, and you can challenge them on that.  If it's on public property then it's allowed to be there and you've probably just committed some sort of crime by removing it.

• Rob Randall, tedward, DavidSchell and 1 other like this

#4107 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:10 PM

There's Conservative signs for two different people at Mackenzie/Gordon Head. I didn't catch the names but one said "re-elect" which is weird since Richmond seems to be the closest Conservative seat to here.

In that area Mackenzie is the border between Saanich-Gulf Islands and Victoria, which explains the two different names, but very strange if one has a "re-elect" banner. The Conservative candidates are David Busch and Richard Caron, respectively. I don't believe either candidate ran in 2015...

#4108 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:56 PM

In that area Mackenzie is the border between Saanich-Gulf Islands and Victoria, which explains the two different names, but very strange if one has a "re-elect" banner. The Conservative candidates are David Busch and Richard Caron, respectively. I don't believe either candidate ran in 2015...

I'll try to watch for it next time I'm in the area. Was caught off guard by the "re-elect" part

#4109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:02 PM

A former police officer who lost his leg after being struck by a vehicle at Victoria’s Ogden Point is running for the People’s Party of Canada in the Saanich-Gulf Islands riding.

“I decided to run in this year’s federal election simply because I cannot vote for the other options available,” said Ron Broda on Facebook announcing his candidacy. Since ‘none of the above’ was an option, Broda said he decided to offer himself as a “viable alternative” for voters, who “like me, don’t like the other choices.”

https://www.vicnews....-elizabeth-may/

"none of the above" was an option?

Little is known of Broda’s political views, but his Facebook questions human-caused climate change, a familiar argument among populist circles in North America and Europe.

his Facebook?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 September 2019 - 03:04 PM.

#4110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:21 PM

Oh good, a generalization thrown in for ...good measure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4111 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:21 PM

The only thing I found on his facebook page was a link to a CBC interview of Elizabeth May:

https://www.facebook...nichGulfIslands

#4112 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

https://www.vicnews....-elizabeth-may/

"none of the above" was an option?

I think that's a Black Press transcription error, not Broda getting mixed up.

He has an official candidate Facebook page. Based on that and his personal page his political views boil down to "climate change is a hoax and if you disagree you're fake news" along with the usual PPC hand-wringing about gender issues.

#4113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:31 PM

Why didn’t the reporter take the time to ask him what his views are?

Know it all.

#4114 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:41 PM

I think that's a Black Press transcription error, not Broda getting mixed up.

He has an official candidate Facebook page. Based on that and his personal page his political views boil down to "climate change is a hoax and if you disagree you're fake news" along with the usual PPC hand-wringing about gender issues.

Oh come on. The ones hand wringing about gender issues are the ones who don't believe in basic biology and will have a panic attack if you call them by their gender.

#4115 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:48 PM

^Er, what exactly is "basic biology"?

The reporter says he "reached out" to Broda and will update the article later. I assume he reached out before writing the article.

#4116 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:50 PM

running in Victoria

* ANIMAL PROTECTION PARTY OF CANADA — Jordan Reichert, animal advocate, activist, and vegan community organizer

Does that mean he organizes vegans or is a vegan who organizes?   

#4117 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:56 PM

^Er, what exactly is "basic biology"?

that humans come in male and females only*.  you can call yourself a catfish if you want.  that does not make you one.

*exception for super-rare intersex people less than 0.1%.

#4118 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

The left: "Children should be given hormones and puberty blockers that make them sterile and have irreversible physical changes and health effects, and the state should force parents to refer to them by their chosen and non biological gender"

A normal person: "Wait that's absurd"

The left: "Oh stop hand wringing"
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#4119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:19 PM

The reporter says he "reached out" to Broda and will update the article later. I assume he reached out before writing the article.

A professional journalist's job is to ensure that when he does reach out, that he receives a response. He reached out to a politician, and the likelihood of receiving a response is virtually guaranteed.

So why rush? What's the point of a "little is known of Broda's political views" article?

We've known Broda was a candidate for a while. This isn't breaking news. What we want to know is what this journalist failed to deliver.

Know it all.

#4120 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:23 PM

dave rubin will meet with maxime in hamilton later this month.

https://www.peoplesp...ier_in_hamilton

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users