Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#4061 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:03 AM

Scheer’s policy positions don’t seem to be substantially different from Harper’s. In fact, Scooby Doo and the gang made a recent discovery:

A3D97C73-D527-44A0-B02E-558F625E4ECE.jpeg
  • Hotel Mike likes this

#4062 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:11 AM

^lol! That's pretty good.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4063 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

I'd be okay with that if he learns from the mistakes Harper made as well.

#4064 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:26 AM

I find it equally amusing you completely missed the point of the post. I will use small tiny words for your edification, perhaps that will help. FM. Is. Not. A. Religion. Not. Even. "Quasi". I find it more amusing that someone who clearly knows nothing of the order presumes to comment on it.

I note the tone on many of your posts is typically dismissive and/or 'superior', as if you alone possess the "right" answer to whatever topic happens to be. I would suggest you ratchet it down a few degrees, even when you disagree or hold on a contrary viewpoint. You might find you actually learn a thing or two from time to time - I certainly have on this forum - including how to use the term 'defensive' in proper context.

If I were defensive about FM I'd either maintain silence of any relationship to it, and/or more likely decline to comment about it altogether, neither of which is the case. I am quite proudly a fifth generation mason, period end sentence. I will openly talk about it 1) if asked and 2) if incorrect or inaccurate information is posted. Defensive? Hardly...

I’m just saying, cracking wise about imaginary sky fairies and flying spaghetti monsters, then writing a short essay about your “intensely personal” Masonic beliefs strikes me as a tad hypocritical

#4065 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

Masonic fraternities will accept any man with a pulse in today's day and age, despite the organization's official position requiring their members to be men of God. So it's hardly surprising that an institution which for centuries has prided itself on making men better servants of their respective God now has a membership which openly mocks religion and men of religion.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4066 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:25 AM

Scheer’s policy positions don’t seem to be substantially different from Harper’s. In fact, Scooby Doo and the gang made a recent discovery:

WOW! quelle surprise!!! Do you mean Andrew Scheer is a Conservative and Harper is a Conservative! OMG what a surprise! 

Too funny, I wonder what cartoon like that would be for Trudeau being Canada's 1st NDP PM?

• Wayne likes this

#4067 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

You two have a profound misunderstanding not only of Freemasonry (and AA and other organizations) but of theology and the complex relationship between man and a higher power. 

You're not the gatekeepers of spirituality.

What I'm saying is that religion is deeper and more multi-faceted than you can conceive of or are willing to admit.

#4068 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

The rules for becoming a Freemason are written down for anyone to see, and they're clear as day. They don't mess around when discussing God and religion.

But like I said, Freemasonry will accept just about anyone today so long as they pay their dues and fill the necessary roles during lodge. They're having trouble even performing basic rituals there are so few members nowadays (at least locally).

And what higher power? You just said for may people god is simply being good, it's an internal thing. No need for a higher power.

Know it all.

#4069 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:36 AM

Here's the BC/Yukon Grand Lodge's take on the matter of God. Note the "test." Yes, there is a right and wrong answer there.

We do not apply a theological test to a candidate. We do ask a man if he believes in God and that is the only religious test. Belief in God is faith; belief about God is theology. As freemasons we are interested in faith only and not in theology. Religion is not permitted to be discussed at masonic meetings.

Freemasonry stands for the values that are supreme in the life of the church and expects each member to follow his own faith and to place his duty to God above all other duties. We are sure that a member who is true to the principles he learns in Freemasonry will be a better church member because of it.

http://freemasonry.b...s/religion.html

Know it all.

#4070 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:37 AM

You two have a profound misunderstanding not only of Freemasonry (and AA and other organizations) but of theology and the complex relationship between man and a higher power.

You're not the gatekeepers of spirituality.

What I'm saying is that religion is deeper and more multi-faceted than you can conceive of or are willing to admit.

I’m saying don’t scoff at and dismiss others faith or belief in God and I’m gate keeping? Making Flying Spaghetti Monster cliches means you are being deep and multi faceted?

#4071 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:37 AM

WOW! quelle surprise!!! Do you mean Andrew Scheer is a Conservative and Harper is a Conservative! OMG what a surprise! 

Too funny, I wonder what cartoon like that would be for Trudeau being Canada's 1st NDP PM?

One of the points that the cartoon is making here is that Scheer's policy statements (so far) are a very close mirror of Harper's, and Scheer may not be the type of Red Tory (moderate/centre-right) that some have made him out to be.  Harper definitely wasn't a Red Tory or PC...

To Trudeau's credit, the 2015 platform he ran on *did* vary substantially from the previous Liberal platform (when the party leader was Michael Ignatieff), especially on domestic policy issues.  That platform also seemed quite pragmatic in that every component of it was tested in focus groups before its release, so the Liberals simply ran with ideas that they felt would be popular with voters, even if those ideas weren't traditionally "Liberal."  In terms of one of the major issues- pot legalization- their position did not mirror the NDP's (I think Mulcair was opposed to legalization). 

• rjag likes this

#4072 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:40 AM

No, no, no. 

I can only speak for myself, because every individual has their own personal definition, but--let's say a non-believer is in AA and at the end of their rope. A "higher power" for that person is the person's ability to look within themselves achieve transcendence, to surpass what they thought they couldn't. This is more than just everyday morality and ethics. That's one small example. 

#4073 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:53 AM

What happened to sdwright? This is usually his favourite topic

#4074 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:56 AM

No, no, no. 

I can only speak for myself, because every individual has their own personal definition, but--let's say a non-believer is in AA and at the end of their rope. A "higher power" for that person is the person's ability to look within themselves achieve transcendence, to surpass what they thought they couldn't. This is more than just everyday morality and ethics. That's one small example. 

AA is a Christian program. The 12 steps, etc.

Know it all.

#4075 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:35 AM

This is the first time I've come across this website and can't vouch for its accuracy/etc. I just saw this link shared on Twitter and felt it raised a good point about the Green Party.

The article is in relation to the New Brunswick saga and the claims that racism fuelled the jump to the Greens by a dozen NDP'ers.

However, Richardson’s motives raised immediate backlash when, in an interview after joining the Greens, he told Canadian Press the NDP can’t win in New Brunswick because its leader is racialized.

Melanie Richer, an NDP spokesperson, said Richardson wasn’t giving enough credit to New Brunswickers. And on social media, many New Democrats accused Richardson of political opportunism, jumping ship rather than pushing back on racism.

The next day, May issued a statement saying her party had “no room” for racists but did not explain or apologize for Richardson apparently using racism in a political appeal.

Embracing people with troubling views is not new for May. In August, the NDP ousted Quebec MP Pierre Nantel, who had previously called a person who wears a turban “incompatible” with the exercise of authority in Quebec. May accepted Nantel as her candidate.

The Green Party has also advised candidates to low-ball discussion of Quebec’s contentious Bill 21, which bans workers from wearing religious symbols when in certain roles. The Green Party said it would take a position on the Bill 21 controversy after the election.

https://canadagamech...een-principles/

If we recall, the Green Party also accepted Paul Manly into its ranks, an individual who is now a Green MP for Nanaimo who made headlines in 2014 for being barred by the NDP from seeking office in relation to Israeli-Palestinian comments.

Know it all.

#4076 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:14 PM

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May says party operatives working for the NDP forced some would-be party defectors back into the New Democratic fold after their departures put NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh in a bad light.

In a strongly worded statement sent to reporters Thursday, May said seven of the 14 former provincial NDP candidates will stay with the New Brunswick Green Party after making the swap on Tuesday, as most of the group have since "rejected these strong-arm tactics and will continue to support the Greens."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ctors-1.5271235

who knows what's going on here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 September 2019 - 03:21 PM.

#4077 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

David Akin is not happy at the # of spending announcements this past month

https://twitter.com/...756777598062592

I’ve been watching the patterns of spending announcements by our federal government for 10 years. 26,000 spending announcements. Three Parliaments. And all I’ll say: you cannot believe the Liberals right now. Shameless.

https://twitter.com/...ed_query&f=live

#4078 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

For those who may not know, Akin is Global’s chief political correspondent.

Know it all.

#4079 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:09 PM

norm spector:

Incredible in a democracy that the Government of the day legislates the process for an election debate and the PM of the day refuses to participate in all other debates #cdnpoli  #cdnmedia

#4080 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

norm spector:

Incredible in a democracy that the Government of the day legislates the process for an election debate and the PM of the day refuses to participate in all other debates #cdnpoli #cdnmedia

Especially after Harper was absolutely crucified when he didn't participate in a debate last election. But as usual Trudeau gets a pass.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users