Margaret Lucas | Victoria | Councillor

Victoria

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:50 PM

Had a chat with several people today about the election. Had a few say they wont vote for Ida Chong because of her residency but are planning to vote for Margaret Lucas or Marianne Alto for council. It can't work both ways people.

#22 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:21 PM

Had a chat with several people today about the election. Had a few say they wont vote for Ida Chong because of her residency...

Perhaps this was not the REAL reason they won't be voting for her.

#23 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

Had a chat with several people today about the election. Had a few say they wont vote for Ida Chong because of her residency but are planning to vote for Margaret Lucas or Marianne Alto for council. It can't work both ways people.

Lucas and Alto don't live in Victoria proper either?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#24 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

Lucas and Alto don't live in Victoria proper either?

Alto ran for the NDP nomination in Oak Bay-Gordon Head (I can't recall if it was 2009 or 2013). Either way, she lost to Jessica Van der Veen. 

Edited by John M., 02 November 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

Lucas, Alto and Thornton-Joe are not Victoria residents.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

Then none can get my vote, since I consider them ineligible.

• R0ark likes this

#27 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:20 AM

Then none can get my vote, since I consider them ineligible.

They don't even get their own votes, since none of them can vote in Victoria. It bothers me more that they are Saanich voters than where they live. It's in the municipal level of elections alone that people can run in an election they are ineligible to vote in. It's illegal provincially and federally.

• Nparker likes this

#28 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:55 AM

I had no idea. Kind of bothers me that Ida is getting heavily penalized from not living in Victoria, but the other seems to fly under the radar. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:57 AM

...Kind of bothers me that Ida is getting heavily penalized from not living in Victoria, but the other seems to fly under the radar. 

Ida's residential address is very low on the list of reasons why I will not be voting for her.

• John M. likes this

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:07 PM

I had no idea. Kind of bothers me that Ida is getting heavily penalized from not living in Victoria, but the other seems to fly under the radar. 

The NDP machine is behind Alto -- she could be living on Mars and they'd get her elected. Thornton-Joe has a big support base that doesn't care about her address, and Lucas has so far flown under the residency radar.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:03 PM

I called Alto on this in person recently and she argued that because she's pro-amalgamation, she didnt want voters to consider her address as an issue.
Take what you will from that.

#32 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

In 2007 Lucas was part of a delegation including Thornton-Joe and Ken Kelly that visited NYC and the community court there. After a lot of work, our own Victoria Integrated Court was created.

• John M. likes this

#33 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:43 PM

Ida's residential address is very low on the list of reasons why I will not be voting for her.

Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users