Victoria

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#181 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,497 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

This really is a glowing endorsement and relevant to the above comments about partisan cronyism politics: 

"I've known Stephen for 15 years, and he has the professional and personal qualities to make an excellent mayor. He has already proven his bravery, whether in facing difficult interviews, or cancer, and we will need that courage dealing with the huge financial and infrastructural issues facing Victoria. He’s inquisitive, considers all sides of arguments, and won’t just fall for any story or proposal that’s put in front of him. He’s independent, and stands the best chance of healing the Liberal-NDP divide that often dogs Victoria politics. And he’s compassionate, showing concern for those in difficult circumstances — he’s not interested in simply gutting our municipal government to satisfy tax crusaders. Stephen has always challenged everyone to work together to achieve great things, and he’ll do the same for our city.

Ross Crockford
Journalist and Johnson Street Bridge project watchdog"

• Nparker likes this

#182 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

That's a great endorsement and tribute. My hat's off to Ross Crockford.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#183 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

MEDIA RELEASE

Formal Complaint to Elections BC and Privacy Commissioner

(Victoria) The Stephen Andrew for Mayor Campaign this morning filed complaints with the Chief Electoral Officer of British Columbia and with the Information and Privacy Commissioner of BC for what it believes are inappropriate and illegal activities of third parties in the 2014 Victoria Municipal Election.

The BC NDP is using information that was provided to them for use in past elections to solicit support for their favoured candidates in Victoria. The Mayor and favoured council candidates are using the services of the BC NDP to call and solicit support.

The BC NDP call lists have information that was provided to them by Elections BC for use in provincial campaigns and by supporters and volunteers specific to those campaigns. This information is being used by the NDP, contrary to the Personal Information Protection act, which requires that individuals specifically consent to the use of their information.

In addition, local NDP constituency associations are sending information to their distribution lists despite not being registered as a Third Party Organization as Even more spiteful is the fact that the NDP are doing so with taxpayers support.

Donors to the NDP, both federally and provincially, are entitled to tax refunds on their donations. Donors receive no tax benefit in municipal elections. The NDP organization making the calls and soliciting support is funded by donations that are taxpayer-supported. This is entirely inappropriate and contrary to the Local Government Act, which governs the municipal election.

Here we go again. This time someone is taking a stand.

• R0ark and Mr Cook Street like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#184 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:08 PM

Stephen Andrew is on CFAX talking about this right now (4:08pm). All the four main mayoralty candidates will be on this hour.

#185 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:15 PM

^^This is why Fortin will unfortunately probably win.

#186 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

Helps in 4th?  I find that very, very hard to believe.  I also suspect none of the camps are spending any significant amount of money on professional polling at this late date, with 98% of advertising already allocated, but some just appearing now.  It would not make any economic sense, it's not like any party can, in just 4 business days, take their campaign in some other direction based on the results of polls.  And like I say, with the bulk of the advertising appearing this week in print and radio, polling from last week is not very relevant.

spanky123, which camp did you hear this from?

If it's from the Chong camp, it's even more reason for me to dismiss it, it's just like their operatives' style to try to shape the election as only between Chong and Fortin, to try to reduce vote splitting.

I'm still predicting a 4th-place finish by Chong.  A spectacularly bad choice of candidate by their group.

I heard it from someone working for the SA campaign. They said that the hope was that Helps would split the left vote but it isn't happening. I took that as Chong being in 2nd but that wasn't stated.

#187 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

Heard Stephen Andrew on CFAX whining and complaining.

I guess itys to be expected from someone new to politics.

#188 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

Heard Stephen Andrew on CFAX whining and complaining. I guess it's to be expected from someone new to politics....

Ida Chong has built her campaign on whining and complaining and no one can accuse her of being new to politics.

#189 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,497 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

There is lot's to whine and complain about...

#190 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

Ya well shes (Ida)  a delicate one and its expected she is a whiner

Stephen on the other hand plays the tough act but the election  day is not here yet and the whining has already started. He must be worried

#191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

Stephen Andrew has an update regarding his cancer. He is proud to confirm that his condition is NED, which means no evidence of disease. That's amazing.

Here is a transcript of the message posted to his website which has July 2016 as the updated date:

It’s been nearly ten years since I was diagnosed with kidney cancer.

Hearing you have cancer is very difficult to hear and, as I have learned, extremely painful to those around you.

In April 2007 the disease spread into my lungs and later that year onto my spine.
As one of my doctors so eloquently told me “I can’t do anything more. All I can suggest is that you prepare and perhaps talk to your oncologist to see if there is a drug you can take”.

Well, that drug is Sutent.

It’s a daily regime and it takes a toll on the body, but there is an upside.

During one of my monthly checks at the end of  2011, my oncologist classified me as being in “clinical remission”.  He then told me I’m not a normal patient and then roared with laughter.  Hmmm, I’m still trying to figure that one out.

The drug worked .  Currently the doctors classify me as being in drug free remission for nearly five years.

Doctors can no longer see tumours in the lungs, and the lesion on my spine is “stable”.
Needless to say, I am very pleased and optimistic. Hell, I’m overjoyed!

I do want to be clear though, at this point we are not saying I’m cured. I'm not sure anyone ever says that - they like to use the term NED - No Evidence of Disease.

Now I am off Sutent, could the cancer grow again?  Well, that's a question noone is willing to answer, probably because they don't know. 

Should it happen, I would expect to go back on the drug.  I am leery of sharing this with you because I would not want anyone to make decisions without the advice of their oncologist.

IF you are taking Sutent, or any other medication, please talk to your medical team before making any decision.

From the beginning of this journey I have shared the details of what’s going on.  I felt I had to.

As a journalist I asked many people to share their stories, so it would be a little hypocritical not to share mine.

More important, I hope my experience will help others.

One of the lessons I learned; always, always get a second opinion.   Not all doctors are created equal, and as I found, some are more aggressive than others.

It’s why I think I’m alive today; I have a doctor who is not afraid to push the limits and let me be an active part of my treatment.

A great resource for kidney cancer in Canada is Kidney Cancer Canada.  I am a member of the board and our focus is to improve the lives of patients, their families and caregives.

If you need help connecting with any group, please send me a message and I’d be happy to help.

So many people have asked about my health.  They stop me on the street and wish me the best, others have written, and there are those who are praying for me.

Your good wishes are a source of great comfort and inspiration.

A great resource for kidney cancer in Canada is Kidney Cancer Canada.  I am a member

Thank you and here’s to good health!

Stephen

Updated July 2016.

• Nparker, Jill and Bingo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#192 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:53 AM

That is excellent news. I know Stephen, and I can tell you that he never plays the "cancer card". He doesn't normally talk about his condition or the suffering that has come with it. He never tries to elicit sympathy. He has fought a tough battle bravely. I wish his well.

• todd likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users