Photo

Is Any one receiving email from ShopVictoria.Ca every thursday?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JHHL

JHHL
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

I have been receiving their useless emails for over few years now; usually on Thursday. Despite numerous attempt to un-subscribe, AND complaint to Victoria Chamber of Commerce when shopvictoria.ca was member. Now, when you click on unsubscribe, it takes you to their site to login or to create an account. I HAVE NEVER signed up for an account with this company, they must had added my business via phonebook listing.scam.png

#2 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

I am not recieving those but as you have exhausted all other avenues I would make a CASL complaint

http://www.crtc.gc.c...g/casl-lcap.htm

#3 JHHL

JHHL
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

I am not recieving those but as you have exhausted all other avenues I would make a CASL complaint

http://www.crtc.gc.c...g/casl-lcap.htm

I am considering to complaint to CASL, just haven't get around to read instruction on how to. Anyone here for this shopvictoria.ca online directory? many business in IT industry had gone out of business for almost 10 years, but yet it is still listed!

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:00 PM

CASL will not protect you if your e-mail address is published in print or online ANYWHERE.  If you publish your e-mail address, you are not entitled to not be spammed.  So it's not generally set up to protect business-to-business email spam. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:34 PM

Never heard of it. Generally speaking spamming people is not a good way to drum up business.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:49 PM

Time to set up a message rule to automatically send that sucker into the junk bin.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 JHHL

JHHL
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

CASL will not protect you if your e-mail address is published in print or online ANYWHERE.  If you publish your e-mail address, you are not entitled to not be spammed.  So it's not generally set up to protect business-to-business email spam. 

My work email address is not published in any phone book, but on my business card, so I think they must had at one point came to my office to take my business card.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

My work email address is not published in any phone book, but on my business card, so I think they must had at one point came to my office to take my business card.

Like seb says, set up a message rule and you'll have 'er beat.  CASL will not help you even if you were covered.  They are not going after little one-offs.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 JordanJCaron

JordanJCaron
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCedar Hill

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:45 PM

I know a few people who work with them. Do you own a business?

Their goal is to add all businesses in Victoria and use the email from your website as a sign up tool. Then they spam you and do sales call to your business.

President at Meaningful Marketing

I Love #yyj

#10 JHHL

JHHL
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:02 PM

I know a few people who work with them. Do you own a business?

Their goal is to add all businesses in Victoria and use the email from your website as a sign up tool. Then they spam you and do sales call to your business.

Yes, I do own a local IT firm, and no my work email address is not at my company's website, this is why I think they must had came to my office to grab my business card for my email address. I have nothing against local online business directory/advertising, but if I was doing it, at least I would not just blindly copy all business listing without at least making the slightest effort to verify, if you go to computer dealer section, you can still find companies such as Computask (out of business for at least or over 10yrs,), Discovery Computers, PCI Computers, or for restaurant industry: Pablo's Dining Lounge, Paprika Bistro, even worth Traveller's Inn all locations are still on their listing!

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

Ya, they purchased old lists from Yellow Pages to start their site.  In fact 5 of the employees used to work for Colour Pages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users