PROPOSED
Residences at the Empress
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 700 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Bosa Development has plans to erect an eight-storey rental building with ground floor commercial space southea... (view full profile)
Learn more about Residences at the Empress on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Residences at the Empress | Rentals | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:50 PM

The new owner of the Fairmont Empress hotel is investing $30 million to renovate the “tired” 106-year-old building.

Nat Bosa also said today that Pacific Coach Lines has been given 18 months to vacate its 700 Douglas St. location.

Bosa, a Vancouver-based developer, envisions building a rental building on the PCL site, which he also owns. Costs for that project have not yet been determined and would be in addition to the Empress upgrades.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.QHwpvxqq.dpuf

• Bingo and Mr Cook Street like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:00 PM

18 months?  I hope Nat Bosa does not think things work that fast in this city, lol.  His rental building will take at least three years to get approved.  Unless things are about to really change at city hall.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

It makes sense to have the land available long before construction start up. Lots of time for deconstruction and site prep. He doesn't need final approval the day after the tenant leaves.

I also have a feeling that Victoria and Saanich are about to become a lot more nimble than in the past.

#4 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

That's a pretty key corner. Here's hoping he will want an architecturally adventurous building there, not just some run-of-the-mill kind of project.

• Mr Cook Street likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:17 PM

This thread is now practically begging for aastra to come in here and photoshop in a few sample buildings.

• Mixed365 likes this

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

This thread is now practically begging for aastra to come in here and photoshop in a few sample buildings.

8kk.jpg

• Baro, Nparker, AllseeingEye and 1 other like this

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

Who needs aastra?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

Who needs aastra?

Well thank you.  I know it's hard to spot, but that's not the real sky behind the buildings.  I can't tell you how I did it though.

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Backup 5+ years to discuss where the heck the new depot goes.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

I guess we'll start a thread.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

Backup 5+ years to discuss where the heck the new depot goes.

Well, I propose a terminal is not necessary.  Maybe just a drop-off and pick-up site.  With a heated shelter.

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

There is an old snapshot of what the skyline might look like. It was a byproduct of the Crystal Court process. The developer also had his eye on the bus depot site and placed a rough massing model of a "boutique hotel" to show how it would look alongside the Crystal Court tower behind it as viewed from the Songhees. Eagle-eyed VibrantVictoria co-founder Bob Beaumont spotted it on a display board at an open house.

Edited by Rob Randall, 19 November 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:58 PM

You should read all the whiny comments on FB about this one - oh my......

Whoa! for the poor underserved bus users :why whatever will they do NOW and where will a new terminal be built?!

Whoa! for the poor fans of the existing building "which must be preserved"!!!!

Whoa! to the chronically poor renting class in Victoria who will apparently not be able to afford the rents of the proposed rental building -> we know all this of course in spite of the fact we have no idea what the building might look like, nor do we know to which market segment it might be targeted) but "we" - the oppressed underclass I presume - nevertheless just somehow instinctively "know" it will all turn out badly!!!

One poster is even wondering about the pedigree of Victoria councillors and inquiring how many " are local"! Because clearly some of the non-local people on council are bringing "foreign" ideas here and changing "all that is good about Victoria".

Oh the drama, oh humanity! Good grief I am growing utterly weary of the whiny tendencies of the NIMBY unter-segment of those Victoria residents who really do take it to a new level, moaning and complaining and griping nearly 2 years before the PCL even has to move and potentially multiple years after that before anything concrete actually materializes. These folks just have to be professional complainers as their efforts are ceaseless and never-ending. Frankly it is amazing anything ever gets done here.

• Mixed365 likes this

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:14 PM

IDK. For longer haul, multi-hour trips there I think there should be a warm, dry place to sit where you can be served by one or two onsite employees. A simple bus stop won't meet that.

No resistance to this move but I just wouldn't want to see this service move outside of the core.

• Nparker likes this

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

It was a very convenient location for a bus terminal but anybody who thought it was going to be there forever must really be crazy.

• Mixed365 likes this

#16 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

Maybe a new bus terminal can co-exist with the downtown train depot.....oh wait....

#17 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:38 PM

Perhaps Uptown could be a proposed location. It is where the new Uptown Exchange transit hub for BC Transit will be and is located on 4 major arterials. 

People forget that downtown isn't accessible to everyone who uses the PCL. 

Edited by Mixed365, 19 November 2014 - 11:39 PM.

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

Well thank you.  I know it's hard to spot, but that's not the real sky behind the buildings.  I can't tell you how I did it though.

Crayon..........purple crayon.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

I still think the vacant lot across from the TC building would make an excellent location as buses could enter southbound from Douglas and exit northbound and go up Government.
  • Nparker, Hotel Mike and tedward like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#20 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:44 AM

I've always thought that the parking lot across Douglas from City Hall (site of 1515 Pandora) would make a good downtown transit hub (both local and intercity) and would be a good downtown stop/station for a Douglas St tram/LRT/whatever.  Also has good connection towards the Johnson St Bridge and the E&N corridor.  Imagine a nicely constructed and landscaped transit plaza in front of City Hall (assuming removal of the few buildings along Douglas.

That being said, I am fine with the planned development on this site as well.

Uptown makes pretty good sense for a new home for PCL.  I agree with Mixed365...downtown isn't convenient for everyone.  When I take PCL, I usually catch it at Royal Oak.

Incorporating an Intercity Bus terminal at a redesigned Belleville Terminal may work as well...although not as handy to local transit.

• Mixed365 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users