Photo

District of Saanich - Mayor and council general discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1208 replies to this topic

#821 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

I didn't look at the %'s for both Vic and Saanich but it seemed like we proportionally supported Shebib far more than the CoV did.

Victoria was also more split. They had 8 people running for mayor while Saanich had 3 https://www.victoria...mary Report.pdf

Edited by Cats4Hire, 17 August 2018 - 07:45 AM.

#822 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

That's true.  I think deep down I voted for Atwell cause that was one good looking dude on his campaign signs.  There's no way someone that dapper could be cray cray.

So who is the best option this time around? ... :(

Not sure I'm keen on Fred Haynes.

Edited by lanforod, 19 August 2018 - 01:01 PM.

#823 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

Ian Jessop is running for Saanich Council: https://www.saanichn...anich-council/ 

#824 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:04 PM

Ian Jessop is running for Saanich Council: https://www.saanichn...anich-council/ 

Good grief. Ian wants to go back and re-fight the spyware scandal again. 

#825 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,047 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:07 PM

he's not going to win.

#826 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:14 PM

he's not going to win.

He has tonnes of name recognition, Atwell clearly has his supporters and there are 3 open seats. At this point, I honeslty dont know who is going to be elected in Saanich.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#827 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,047 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:22 PM

He has tonnes of name recognition, Atwell clearly has his supporters and there are 3 open seats. At this point, I honeslty dont know who is going to be elected in Saanich.

stephen andrew had name recognition.  just because you are on radio/tv does not mean you are liked overall

#828 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:40 PM

stephen andrew had name recognition.  just because you are on radio/tv does not mean you are liked overall

Agreed.

Ian Jessop was a shock jock. He had controversial guests which angered listeners and create tension. I get it, CFAX is selling ads.

I doubt many people actually respect him though. Encouraging people not to vaccinate their kids may fly in Mississippi but not here.

#829 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:27 PM

Mayor is different than council - people have 8(or 6 or 4) votes, rather than just one.

#830 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:57 AM

I think Jessop would be good to be on Saanich, he speaks his mind and isnt constrained by party ideology...consider the fact that we are all saying these councils need to change, they are just so stale...so when someone with some name recognition that isnt affiliated with a particular political or enviro/sjw cause, the first thing is to say he's got fat ankles or you dont like his choice of socks....

#831 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

Yup, Jessop may do alright. He’ll certainly come with a sizable number of supporters who know he’ll be well versed in local politics, local policies and have a better understanding of how things “work” than the average guy. He’ll also have his backers who liked his views on issues.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#832 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:30 AM

Both Ian and Mike have posted publicly that they feel the incumbent council members and City management should be fired. Fair enough, that is their opinion but do we really want another Nanaimo? Do we really want to be wasting millions of dollars on legal fees, severance payment, and mediators with the end result being that nothing gets accomplished for the next 4 years? I think that we need people who are a little more even handed and level headed. 

Edited by spanky123, 20 August 2018 - 07:30 AM.

#833 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

I don't agree with doing that for incumbent council members. There is an opportunity for voters to do that soon. However if city management really is undermining the elected Mayor and council decisions, they absolutely should be fired.

#834 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:59 AM

I don't agree with doing that for incumbent council members. There is an opportunity for voters to do that soon. However if city management really is undermining the elected Mayor and council decisions, they absolutely should be fired.

I don't think that there is any evidence that is happening. Atwell and his followers believe that the role of the Mayor is to run the City. Atwell is often challenged on process, but I don't know of any examples where City staff have refused to enacted a motion or decision approved by council.

#835 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

I haven't seen much from Richard Atwell on social media lately. Also I can't seem to find a campaign web site.

#836 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

I haven't seen much from Richard Atwell on social media lately. Also I can't seem to find a campaign web site.

I don't think that this is a shoo in for Atwell by any means. Fred has been out pounding the streets for a while now.

#837 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:12 AM

Rob Wickson has entered the race for Saanich Mayor

http://www.iheartrad...chair-1.7553499

Great, now the 30kph zones will traverse municipal boundaries. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#838 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:52 AM

Rob Wickson has entered the race for Saanich Mayor

http://www.iheartrad...chair-1.7553499

Great, now the 30kph zones will traverse municipal boundaries. 

So many social engineers in need to control other peoples lives

#839 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,047 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:36 AM

wickson has a dismal past election record he is not a factor here.

• rjag likes this

#840 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:42 AM

wickson has a dismal past election record he is not a factor here.

But it gives him a platform to espouse his anti-car blah blah position

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users