CNN

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:30 AM

the “nice try” is you or cnn or whoever on the left now calling it an ethic slur - now when it suits you. when until 24 hours ago it had been used repeatedly all over the place with nobody making that distinction.

sort of like “infestation”. or nba team “owners”. suddenly everything is racist. give me a break.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2019 - 08:32 AM.

#22 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

Let me get this straight. You're out in a park with your nine year old daughter. You work in an industry that is a potential target by domestic terror and where you often get death threats. Some unhinged guy gets in your face using an ethnic slur and you're saying you wouldn't go nuclear on his ass?

Sure, Fredo (or Polack) isn't as vile as the N-word

try to find anywhere on the internet - prior to 36 hours ago - that likens fredo to an ethic slur. It wasn’t one ever and still isn’t one. cnn made it up to cover for their drunk ass anchor mouthing it up in a bar.

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:52 AM

Context.

I called Eric a Fredo because, like the Godfather character, he's clearly the least bright of the Trump children. It would be insane to walk up to an Italian person and call him a Fredo. 

But there are some fictional names, like Shylock, that are offensive in any context. 

#24 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

do your google search . Look up “fredo” and “slur”. . Use the minus sign before “cuomo”. see? invented just now as a italian slur by cnn.

context: the guy called chris a fredo because like the godfather character he has a powerful dad and a prominent brother. dad was a governor. brother is a governor. chris is just a tv guy. the dummy. the end.

this cuomo family came to the usa in the 20’s. I’m not sure how they are still “Italian” 90+ years later.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2019 - 09:03 AM.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

Well, I value my health so I am not about to stride into the Italian Deli and use that name when ordering.

#26 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

Hey guys, it's all good. Cuomo was just trolling.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

Context.

I called Eric a Fredo because, like the Godfather character, he's clearly the least bright of the Trump children. It would be insane to walk up to an Italian person and call him a Fredo.

I don’t believe there actually is an acceptable context for ethnically laced derision. Calling a non-Italian a term that we universally accept to mean “dumb Italian” (as Cuomo told us) is not ok, and if we’re honest with ourselves, never has been.

But the reason why it was used so commonly and flippantly is because it was almost universally used to deride Republicans and the Trump family (like in the way you did), and as such that created a social license for its use. That social license was revoked today and now the internet is abuzz with people trying to explain why their usage of the term was different, how it was in a different context, and how it was just a joke. But none of that is relevant. So has society at-large has finally caught up to the fact that calling someone a “Fredo” has always been an ethnically laced derision that was acceptable only because it referred almost exclusively to political figures and members of a political party which our society permitted to be mocked with an ethnic slur?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

Sean Hannity is defending Cuomo's actions.  

• Rob Randall likes this

#29 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:25 AM

to recap:

standing at a bar man casually remarks to cnn host he thinks his name is fredo. yes obviously in jest. fredo at that time is a never-known-to-be racial slur.

cnn anchor launches into profanity laden tirade wherein he among other things suggests he might throw they guy down some stairs. and somehow adlibs the line that fredo is like the “n word”. today cnn itself doubles down and says again it’s a slur. simple online searches an 8-year-old can complete shows that not to be the case. that people is how fake news is made on the spot by cnn.

oh and clip is approaching 6 million views so almost 10x the nightly cuomo audience. lots of people that did not even know who cuomo was before today have now only seen his mean drunk side.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2019 - 09:32 AM.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:28 AM

He’s defending him standing up for himself. But not the profanity laced nuclear explosion, threats to throw the man down the stairs and incitement of violence.

There’s a way to handle these situations and Cuomo failed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

hannity is a blowhard among the likes of rush and o’reilly. has no weight with me.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 August 2019 - 09:31 AM.

#32 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:34 AM

He’s defending him standing up for himself. But not the profanity laced nuclear explosion, threats to throw the man down the stairs and incitement of violence.

Are you sure about that? Hannity literally said that "Chris Cuomo has zero to apologize for". That's a pretty solid endorsement of everything he did. He didn't say "Chris Cuomo was right to defend himself but should apologize for the words he used.". No, no. His exact words were, "Chris Cuomo has zero to apologize for". Not sure how you can possibly get that he's not defending the entire scene out of that.

• Rob Randall and m3m like this

#33 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

There’s a way to handle these situations and Cuomo failed.

Actually, Hannity tweeted: 

I say good for @ChrisCuomo

He’s out with his 9 year old daughter, and his wife, and this guy is being a jackass in front of his family. Imho Chris Cuomo has zero to apologize for. He deserves the apology.

Where are you getting these alternate facts that allow you to disagree with that?

• Rob Randall likes this

#34 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

I don’t believe there actually is an acceptable context for ethnically laced derision. Calling a non-Italian a term that we universally accept to mean “dumb Italian” (as Cuomo told us) is not ok, and if we’re honest with ourselves, never has been.

But the reason why it was used so commonly and flippantly is because it was almost universally used to deride Republicans and the Trump family (like in the way you did), and as such that created a social license for its use. That social license was revoked today and now the internet is abuzz with people trying to explain why their usage of the term was different, how it was in a different context, and how it was just a joke. But none of that is relevant. So has society at-large has finally caught up to the fact that calling someone a “Fredo” has always been an ethnically laced derision that was acceptable only because it referred almost exclusively to political figures and members of a political party which our society permitted to be mocked with an ethnic slur?

you are missing the point. It never was an “Italian slur” it was about the dumb brother period. race or ethnicity was not part of it. until cuomo and cnn decided it was 36 hours ago.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

Fair enough, having not seen the tweet, I wrongly assumed Hannity wouldn’t have supported such an outburst.

But since he has, he’s no better. Good riddance to him as well.

Know it all.

#36 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

He’s out with his 9 year old daughter, and his wife, and this guy is being a jackass in front of his family

who’s the bigger jacjkass then? the guy who said fredo (9 year old daughter probably hadn’t seen godfather) or dad that goes off unhinged in front of his 9 year old daughter (who now has heard godfather like language but coming from dads mouth).

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:44 AM

you are missing the point. It never was an “Italian slur” it was about the dumb brother period. race or ethnicity was not part of it. until cuomo and cnn decided it was 36 hours ago.

I know it wasn’t.

But it suddenly is, as of today.

So I’ve recontextualized it to the present-day meaning. If it is ethnically insensitive today, why was it not ethnically insensitive 24 hours ago?

Because I’ll tell you, now that we know calling someone a Fredo means calling them a “dumb Italian” a lot of people have a lot of explaining to do.

Know it all.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:49 AM

He’s out with his 9 year old daughter, and his wife, and this guy is being a jackass in front of his family

who’s the bigger jacjkass then? the guy who said fredo (9 year old daughter probably hadn’t seen godfather) or dad that goes off unhinged in front of his 9 year old daughter (who now has heard godfather like language but coming from dads mouth).

You have to wonder if this is par for the course, but it was finally filmed. Cuomo can certainly come off as a bully on his show, and outside of the studio he could actually be a scrapper.

I have no doubt Cuomo can dance with the best of them but that’s not a good look for an international news personality.

Know it all.

#39 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

I know it wasn’t.

But it suddenly is, as of today.

So I’ve recontextualized it to the present-day meaning. If it is ethnically insensitive today, why was it not ethnically insensitive 24 hours ago?

Because I’ll tell you, now that we know calling someone a Fredo means calling them a “dumb Italian” a lot of people have a lot of explaining to do.

oh I see yes.

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

You have to wonder if this is par for the course, but it was finally filmed. Cuomo can certainly come off as a bully on his show, and outside of the studio he could actually be a scrapper.

I have no doubt Cuomo can dance with the best of them but that’s not a good look for an international news personality.

look I enjoy watching cuomo when I’m forced to. even if I disagree with 90% of what he says. I’d rather watch an hour of cuomo than 10 minutes of hannity.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users