Photo

Should Government Street become a pedestrian boulevard?

Government st Poll Pedestrian new urbanism Government street pedestrian mall

• Please log in to reply
1201 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Government street become a pedestrian boulevard from Yates street to Humbolt street (Allowing restricted single lane traffic)?

1. Yes (86 votes [65.15%])

Percentage of vote: 65.15%

2. No (33 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Depends (13 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1181 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 01:38 PM

I'm saying it's how you regard yourself that influences how outsiders regard you, and especially so in the dirty world of politics and public funding. How much provincial funding did Victoria get for its new arena? How much provincial funding did Quebec City get for its new arena?

Re: heritage, if Victorians insist their city's heritage and history isn't worth a damn then nobody should be surprised when the province and the feds jump at the opportunity to skirt their own obligations and responsibilities in that regard.

Methinks this self-loathing culture could reap some seriously bitter fruit eventually, if the province ever announces it can't justify the price tag to restore/maintain the legislative building. I'm not saying they'll knock the dome down, but I don't think I would be surprised if there some undesirable compromises as part of the deal to preserve it.

#1182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 02:45 PM

I'm saying it's how you regard yourself that influences how outsiders regard you, and especially so in the dirty world of politics and public funding. How much provincial funding did Victoria get for its new arena? How much provincial funding did Quebec City get for its new arena?

Re: heritage, if Victorians insist their city's heritage and history isn't worth a damn then nobody should be surprised when the province and the feds jump at the opportunity to skirt their own obligations and responsibilities in that regard.

Methinks this self-loathing culture could reap some seriously bitter fruit eventually, if the province ever announces it can't justify the price tag to restore/maintain the legislative building. I'm not saying they'll knock the dome down, but I don't think I would be surprised if there some undesirable compromises as part of the deal to preserve it.

Yes, well said.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1183 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 08:20 PM

After 107 years, Irish Linen Stores is ditching car-free Government Street.

The business is relocating to car-heavy Fort Street, between Broad and Douglas.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1184 m3m

m3m
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 09:04 PM

So like 45 metres away from where they currently are ?

#1185 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 09:12 PM

145m, but yup.

Hey, there’s now two fast food joints on the strip, within arms reach of each other. No takers for the old 7-11 space, though.

Know it all.

#1186 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 09:21 PM

Rent is probably stupid and they had to pay back the CEBA loan this year.

Edited by dasmo, 16 February 2024 - 07:28 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1187 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 08:57 AM

After 107 years, Irish Linen Stores is ditching car-free Government Street.

The business is relocating to car-heavy Fort Street, between Broad and Douglas.

They didn't have parking on Government, I don't think this is why...  Probably smaller and less expensive lease.

#1188 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 09:16 AM

It’s not an issue with parking. I don’t recall there ever being parking there.

Know it all.

#1189 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 09:49 AM

It’s not an issue with parking. I don’t recall there ever being parking there.

Ah you were just citing car heavy meaning more cars drive by their shop so they moved for that?  Or was that just a red herring meaning?

Edited by Ismo07, 16 February 2024 - 09:50 AM.

#1190 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 February 2024 - 04:46 PM

I think he was just in headline writing mode lol.

#1191 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 09:19 AM

I don't think that it is a lack of vehicle access that is leading Irish Linens to move despite what they say. If anything I would bet rents are going up along there.

• Ismo07 likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1192 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 09:24 AM

I don't think that it is a lack of vehicle access that is leading Irish Linens to move despite what they say. If anything I would bet rents are going up along there.

Completely lease related...

#1193 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 02:26 PM

If you're old enough, you remember the parking along there, lol! 

https://archives.vic...et-albion-hotel

I think even when I worked in the Eatons China department in the late 1970s, there was parking on Government. I certainly remember looking across to the hotel by the Morris Tobacco shop and seeing cars parked there. 

Edited by mbjj, 12 March 2024 - 02:28 PM.

#1194 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:10 PM

If you're old enough, you remember the parking along there, lol! 

I think even when I worked in the Eatons China department in the late 1970s, there was parking on Government. I certainly remember looking across to the hotel by the Morris Tobacco shop and seeing cars parked there. 

Love old parking pictures.  I have a great shot from kitty corner of the old Memorial when there was parking in the middle of Blanshard...

#1195 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:14 PM

After 100 years of Irish Linens paying the highest lease rates on Vancouver Island to be on the Government Street strip, I'm curious why 2024 tipped the scale.

Know it all.

#1196 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:14 PM

After 100 years of Irish Linens paying the highest lease rates on Vancouver Island to be on the Government Street strip, I'm curious why 2024 tipped the scale.

New lease coming up...

#1197 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:20 PM

I mean, they were located adjacent to a Birks for many years. Then Birks closed. Was the lease too high for Birks? It seems like Birks would have been complementary to Irish Linens, A&W not so much.

Know it all.

#1198 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:31 PM

I mean, they were located adjacent to a Birks for many years. Then Birks closed. Was the lease too high for Birks? It seems like Birks would have been complementary to Irish Linens, A&W not so much.

You' have to ask them I suppose...  I honestly never even knew about them, Irish Linens not Birks...  I'm not sure how common it would be for someone to shop at both..  Yeah the Burger King will bug me there but, this is what you get for these leases...  Do we know if they will close the other one the have down the block?

#1199 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:48 PM

Wouldn’t the Fort Street lease just a few steps away also be prohibitively expensive? If shops are leaving downtown because of high lease rates, that is.

Know it all.

#1200 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 07:04 PM

Fort Street is a fair bit cheaper along there because it is not part of the shopping stroll. Government St. still has some of the highest commercial leases in the country. It is too bad but Govt. really from Fort Street south has always been bad for locals, it is likely the best it has ever been right now with a decent coffee shop, tractor and that general store place.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users